#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Haha! Fuck it. It’s been out long enough, and it’s still vague enough.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    For me it was hard to find something scary when it moves so stupidly fucking slow.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Slow and relentless is scary.
  • I agree with both statements.

Night of the Hunter is slow but definitely scary (best movie).
    A lot of modern stuff is just too long really which means its not so much slow as drawn out.

Horror movies for the most part are better when shorter. There are a couple of exceptions like The Shining which for its time is long for a movie let alone a horror but works.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Kow wrote:

Right.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kow wrote:

Not really. It's why most old school zombie movies are just shite.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oohh you walk at a snails pace I'll just walk slightly faster oh no the horror
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s where 28 Days Later nailed it. The speed and ferocity of the horde was great and didn’t need to have people tripping over all the time to feel any kind of tension.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Coming up against something that is truly inescapable is scary in my mind. The zombie is a poor analogy.
    Get schwifty.
  • Being hunted by something slow but relentlessly can be scary if done well.
    Duel is a good example.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Coming up against something that is truly inescapable is scary in my mind. The zombie is a poor analogy.

It's tedious in my mind. It's why I guess Mr X works for some, but not others in Resi games. I ain't getting the shivers at it, it's just doing me nut
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    They should call the sequel It Follows Through.

:D Lovely.

Why, thank you.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rewatched Stalker last night and I had forgot a great deal about it. It will require some further watching to get some more stuff that's buried in there.  Was better on the 2nd watch. A great deal better. Sublime film. It may be labelled as scifi but it isn't really. It's more a study of the fears of realising what makes oneself really tick.

Watched the Criterion BluRay I have...... but no excuse for anyone not seeing it now. The monochrome sections in this YT presentation are not tinted the way the Criterion version is - not sure why that is.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Beautiful movie. Beautiful.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Going to follow up with a rewatch of Mirror this week. Have had my fill of Hollywood for a while. Eraserhead in the cinema on Thursday.
  • Oohh you walk at a snails pace I'll just walk slightly faster oh no the horror

But surely The Walking Dead TV series (at least in its heyday) proved that a slow shambling, but massive, horde of zombies can be pretty damn scary, right?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    But surely The Walking Dead TV series (at least in its heyday) proved that a slow shambling, but massive, horde of zombies can be pretty damn scary, right?

When it's done right that slow but high volume relentless crowd of pursuers can be great. I hated those fast angry versions though 28 Days was a good 'un.  But it was a different feel. The slow pace of the enemy is creepier - the characters can never relax with that type because they are quiet.
  • Zombie films are the only type of horror I tend to steer clear of. Never quite got the appeal.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:

One of the worst shows on TV.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Zombie films are the only type of horror I tend to steer clear of. Never quite got the appeal.

Dawn of the Dead is the only one I ever really liked (original). It and Day of the Dead are the only ones I have rewatched. The original Night is highly thought of and I appreciate it for what it is but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Dawn.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    One of the worst shows on TV.

I liked the first season , and maybe the second but I got bored of it after that. I stopped watching at the point where the group had arrived outside a prison. It had already started to become formulaic.
  • The first series is genuinely really good. It benefits from being shorter too.
    Season 2 the frustrating nonsense starts.
    Everybody hates Shane but if he had survived they would have done a lot less dumb shit for however many seasons it has dragged on.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    First four seasons of The Walking Dead were solid. It’s all downhill thereafter.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dead Set was good, even with slow zombies.
  • Dead Set didn't have slow zombies.

OG Dawn and Day of the Dead are all timers, which started my obsession with zombies. The last 10 years of popular culture cured that obsession though.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • It's more like 20 years tbh. Shaun of the Dead was 2004 and that wasn't the start of the modern trend.
    It's like the genre that won't die, if only there was a good analogy.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Shufflers are the best kind of zombie. No amount of shite films can change that.

What pisses me off is that in games the developers aren't clever/brave enough to make that work so they have to add in super mutant things with bollocks powers and make them like all the other games. Project Zomboid is the only exception I can think of
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I like the theory that the popular horror trope of the time is based on the fears in the population at that time. In the 80s when it was all spies and Cold War type concerns, vampires were big as a (foreign, usually) monster that walks among us undetected trying to bring us down. These days, ecological collapse is the major concern, so films dealing with survival in a post-collapse world feel salient.
  • 45. The Paper Tigers
    Charming little low budget Kung Fu film about three past it martial arts disciples who reunite after their sensei is killed in mysterious circumstances. It's funny, poignant and sightly cheesy but has a big heart and some really great fight choreography. 7
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!