Movie record 2020 edition
  • I've done a deal with the mother and sister this year. I will endure Love Actually if they will experience the festive thrill ride that is Die Hard.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    *waits for someone to say Die Hard isn't a Christmas film*
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    *waits for someone to say Die Hard isn't a Christmas film*

Waits to slap that someone
  • Waits to drop them down a lift shaft strapped to a chair with some C4.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It's not Christmas until I see Hans Gruber fall from the Nakatomi.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • It's not 
    Spoiler:
    until I see Hans Gruber fall from the Nakatomi.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Watched Galaxy Quest the other day and was reminded what an absolute Don Alan Rickman was. Legend.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Love that film. Must have watched it a dozen times.
  • Been meaning to watch that galaxy quest celebration doco that came out recently. Love that film too
  • 184. Freaky
    I'm sucker for this concept but unfortunately it's not as well thought out or put together as his Happy Death Day films. Some cracking slasher kills in it though
    [5]

185. Good Boys
    I enjoyed this a lot. Probably more than I should have. I liked how earnest it was in the characters and the story it was telling. Plus lots of silly jokes
    [8]
  • 55. Ad Astra
    Impressive visuals, a subdued Brad Pitt and some excellent set pieces combine to make this meditative sci-fi man on a mission film well worth a watch. ( 8 )
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 186. LA Confidential
    What a cast! A very solid and entertaining noir. I can see why is considered a classic.
    [8]
  • 160. Quadrophenia
    Young disaffected Jimmy struggles to find his identity in this iconic slice of British mod subculture. Scooters, parkas, suits, rockers, Leslie Ash up the alley, a brooding Sting... all stitched together by The Who's belting soundtrack. 8

161. Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    Steve Martin and John Candy are bound together by fate in this heartwarming and funny John Hughes vehicular driven comedy. 8

162. Queen & Slim
    A Tinder date takes a tragic turn as a black couple are forced to go on the run. A strong and modern BLM themed take on the Bonnie and Clyde tale. 8
  • 181. Planes, Trains & Automobiles - 9
    80's comedy gold. "Those aren't pillows"

182. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 8
    Solid first chapter to a great trilogy.

183. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 9
    My pick of the three, the Battle of Helm's Deep is brilliant.

184. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 8
    Solid end to a great Trilogy. A few cheesy moments, but it's the countless end sequences that pull it slightly down for me.

185. Judy - 5
    Renee Zellweger is great as expected in her Academy Award winning role as Judy Garland, but to be honest I found it to be a dull watch. On the plus side it done enough to make me read up on the real history behind it all, which is always a good thing.

186. Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood - 7
    Like Hitchcock I don't think there's such a thing as a bad Tarantino movie. This is definitely one of the ones I enjoy least, but there's still lots to like.

187. The Hateful Eight - 9
    Big fan of this one. This was my third viewing and I've enjoyed it more each time. Definitely cememted itself as one of my favourite Tarantino films.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I really didn't like The Hateful Eight when it was first released. I've only seen it once, so perhaps it would benefit from a rewatch. Might try giving it a go over Christmas, I've been craving some Tarantino
  • Have you watched the extended tv show type version of Hateful Eight retro? Been wondering if it's worth hunting down or not
  • No I haven't.

I think I'm gonna have to track it down and give it another watch. I'm on the cusp of becoming a bit obsessed with it. Been thinking about it for the last few days.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'll be interested to hear what you think!
  • So there's the 168 minutes theatrical version, and a 187 minute extended 'roadshow version'.

The episodic Netflix version is 210 minutes, however that includes opening and closing credits to the four episodes. In realtime it's only an extra 6 minutes.

Still makes it the longest cut though, so I'll get hold of that and watch it Sunday.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Oh, for some reason I thought it was longer. I was lucky enough to see the 70mm roadshow version at the cinema when it came out. Was lurvly.
  • I've had Hateful 8 on BR for about 3 years - it's still in the shrink wrap. I must get to it.
  • Yeah I haven't seen it yet either, I reckon it's a prime candidate for post xmas dinner, food-coma on the sofa viewing with some booze and a plate of cheeses.
  • Top tier Tarantino, haven't seen it since the pre release streamers came out so might treat myself to the episodic Netflix version too (which I didn't know existed until today).
  • I watch all films episodically these days so that’s a good shout.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Yeah I haven't seen it yet either, I reckon it's a prime candidate for post xmas dinner, food-coma on the sofa viewing with some booze and a plate of cheeses.
    I'll check and see if my 11 year old fancies watching it!
  • 56. Die Hard
    Still great. 9

57. Terminator: Dark Fête
    Went into this work very low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Some superb action sequences make this by some margin the third best in the franchise. 8
  • Die Hard deffo on the list for closer to the big day. Festive edit starts now...

163. Groundhog Day
    Cynical weatherman Bill Murray does his thing again and again and again... his heart warmed by Andie Macdowell in this top notch tittersome time loop tale. 8

164. Black Christmas
    Apeshit, loft squatting nutjob bothers sorority sisters including uberbabe Olivia Hussey in this iconic 1974 festive slasher. 7

165. Jack Frost
    Apeshit, homicidal maniac transforms into apeshit, homicidal snowman (yes really) and bothers small-town in this cult but most definitely shite, straight to video, chiller. 4
  • 188. Leon - 8
    Top action flick with Jean Reno, Gary Oldman and a young Natalie Portman. Still as good as I remember it.

189. Django Unchained - 8
    One of Tarantino's best for me. The cast do a superb job, especially Christoph Waltz.

190. Carry On Camping - 7
    Had to give this a watch after the news of Barbara Windsor passing. One of the most iconic in the series, but a bit overrated imo. Still a huge fan though.

191. Rumor Has It... - 5
    A women discovers her family were the inspiration for the movie The Graduate. Decent idea but it falls a bit flat for me. Shirley MacLaine steals the show as the grandma who seduced Dustin Hoffman's character in The Graduate.

192. Bowfinger - 6
    I remember loving this back in the day, still good for a few laughs but not the classic I thought it was.

193. Doctor in Love - 5
    Fourth from the seven Betty Box Doctor movies. This one has a bit more life than the last two thanks in part to Dirk Borgarde being replaced with Leslie Phillips. Ok, but still not a patch on the original.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!