Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    The Seven Year Itch - Just enough self-awareness to work but I guess it has just aged badly in some respects, where certain things are so not-shocking that they don't even register as comedy.  [6] 

Casablanca - Little-known gem you should all seek it out.  So many lines, easy to see why it's considered an all-timer.  [9]

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore - Brilliant lead performance and a smart Alec kid who doesn't completely grate, what sorcery.  [8]

I Could Go On Singing -  It's always thrilling to see Judy in concert and while the songs are hit and miss, the performance of "By Myself" stands alongside her best big-screen numbers, a lofty standard. Otherwise, it's a fairly slow, meandering plot punctuated by some excellent standoffs between Garland and Bogarde.
    And with that, Garland's final film, I've seen every one she appeared in*, it's been...unsurprisingly bittersweet.  I've found a few all-time favourites in her filmography and I'm sure I'll watch most of them again at some point, skipping the few real duds.  [7]

*she has a credit in Pepe (1960) as a singer on the radio in one scene but I don't know how to watch it so it doesn't count.
  • 187. Happiest Season
    Queer focussed rom-com that could have been excellent but just misses the mark with some story threads not followed through and some overly broad comedy and rom-com cliches. Kristen Stewart is great in it though.
    [6]
  • 166. Secret Santa
    Low budget, low production, low brow, gore soaked shitfest. A disparate and dysfunctional family gather around the festive dinner table with devastating effect. 5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

• 188. Unforgiven
    Well that was excellent. Almost in spite of itself at times.
    [9]
  • Webbins wrote:
    166. Secret Santa Low budget, low production, low brow, gore soaked shitfest. A disparate and dysfunctional family gather around the festive dinner table with devastating effect. 5

So that’s what you think of us, eh?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 58. The Dark Knight
    The boy wanted to watch this as he's been playing through the Arkham games and I hadn't seen it for ages. Still really enjoyable, with Ledger stealing the film and some spectacular set pieces. As time passes though, I'm less and less of a fan of Bales Batman. 8

59. The Happiest Season
    Lovely rom-com which is well written, funny and well performed and doesn't overstay it's welcome. Kirsten Stewart is great and the Christmas themed family get together, subsequent melt down and happy ending thoroughly warmed my cockles. 7.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 167. Anchorman
    Introduced the mother to this on what is probably my 5th or 6th watch. Took me fifteen minutes for it to get its hooks in again but once it does it's gold. Arguably Ferrell's finest but ably supported by Rudd, Carrell, et al. The mother enjoyed it so a result. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 60. RocketMan
    Elton John biopic that doesn't shy away from the excesses of his long and interesting career, but does fail to address some of his questionable decisions (like playing SA at the height of apartheid). Egerton is great and the musical numbers are integrated into the film in quite a clever way. Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. 7
  • 72. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep - 21 Dec
    Entertaining enough kaiju film that takes its time to show us the monsters, who continue to behave and fight in a laughable manner - not sure if that is completely intentional or not.  Godzilla and Ebirah fighting as if they were playing tennis with rocks was funny even if it wasn't meant to be.
    [7]
  • 189. Blood Simple
    Baby Coens show their early chops making a film in the vein of stuff they would go on to do better later. Some of the edits felt a bit too wink wink clever.
    [6]
  • Awesome double bill tonight:
    61. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Still funny every time. Might be my all time favourite crimbo film. Chase's expressionsc alone are priceless. 9

62. The Death of Stalin
    Second viewing and liked it more this time. Part hilarious, banal and snappy dialogue and part grim, violent and appalling atrocities it's a superb piece of historical comedy. 9.
  • Both fantastic picks there Grem. Two of my favourites
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • We watched Lampoon's tonight as well.
    I know every gag and when it is coming but it still cracks me up.
  • I've actually never seen that one. Gave up on the franchise after European Vacation. Boy was that a stinker! Is the Christmas one worth a look then?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • European isnt very good.
    Christmas is about on par with the first Vacation but with added Christmas. The best of the three I think but if you got nothing out of the first its probably not for you.
  • Oh, I love the first one. It's an all-timer in my book. European was such a dumpster fire I just gave up after that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I just remembered there is a 4th, Vegas Vacation. I remember seeing this years ago late night on TV. It was terrible, worse than European.

There is also a 5th. Christmas Vacation 2. This one appears to not have Chase at all and centred on Randy Quaid.
    Randy is brilliant in Vacation and Christmas but not as a lead and definitely not in the state he was in by 2003.
  • 63. Muppets Christmas Carol
    Realised that I've never actually seen this all the way though. But it's really fucking good! Goo5d bless us everyone! 8.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    63. Muppets Christmas Carol
    Realised that I've never actually seen this all the way though. But it's really fucking good! Goo5d bless us everyone! 8.

Yo we watched that tonight as well.
  • We watched Muppets Christmas Carol tonight as well. Introduced the boys to the film for the first time and about 30 minutes in Blake turned to us and said "mummy, I really like this film! Thank you!"

Absolutely made my night.
    Now I'm settling down to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation because it's just not Christmas without it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    63. Muppets Christmas Carol

It really is. Watching tomorrow.

• It's also incredibly accurate to the source material, and Caine is actually really committed to it. So glad i watched it .
  • I read the other day that Caine only agreed to the role if he was allowed to act it as if he was doing a deadly straight westend play.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I read the other day that Caine only agreed to the role if he was allowed to act it as if he was doing a deadly straight westend play.
    I read the same piece. It said he insisted on acting as though the Muppets were real the whole time
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Whoa... they are real
  • I live that Caine’s acting method is he never blinks.
  • 73. Son of Godzilla - 24 Dec
    This started off promising with some commentary on world population and resources, but didn’t follow through. It descended into something quite rubbish. The baby Godzilla was so laughable and utterly pointless and baffling. And again they make the monsters do some strange fighting. Playing football with a rock and kicking it at the enemy by? What?! Hoping next film (Destroy All Humans with Honda back at the helm) will be better. 
    [4]
  • La La Land
    Didn’t plan to rewatch this again but it was on TV and I couldn’t resist. It’s still magical. Charming, beautiful, sad, and funny. An all-timer.
  • 168. Home Alone
    Arsehole family abandon Kevin, an apeshit demonic sadochild, leaving him to mercilessly torture and terrorise hapless burglars, Harry and Marv. 8

169. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
    Arsehole family, having learnt nothing from last time, lose Kevin, the apeshit ankle biter, leaving him to further continue his sick reign of terror over the hapless heisters. 8
  • poprock wrote:
    La La Land
    Didn’t plan to rewatch this again but it was on TV and I couldn’t resist. It’s still magical. Charming, beautiful, sad, and funny. An all-timer.
    I cried my eyes out as the story kind of hit a few familiar notes for me towards the end.
    I went to see it in the cinema on my own, came home and when my wife asked how it was I just reached out for a hug and couldn't find the words.

I love it so much

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!