@_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Sweaty Sharon Stone in sports gear is a particular highlight.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • 175. The Gentleman
    I did enjoy this but I couldn't also feel like the world has moved on from "lads lads lads" and that it was a missed opportunity to mix it up a bit. Most of these characters could have been women and it wouldn't have made a difference to the story but would have been more interesting.
    [6]
  • You’re right Shabs, but I forgave that because I thought adherence to the genre clichés was part of the point.
  • Gangster Squad
    LA’s got a mobster problem; Josh Brolin & Ryan Gosling are the tough ex-military cops to solve it. Why did nobody tell me how much big dumb fun this is?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That the one you can’t understand what they are saying half the time?
  • Seemed fine to me, so maybe not?
  • 154. The Lighthouse
    Odd, multi thematic, astonishing and beguiling piece of work from Robert Eggers. Two excellent performances from RPatz and Dafoe, the latter stealing the show in a towering effort, Oscars have been given for less. 9

I must make watching The VVitch a priority.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    VVitch was nice.
  • Especially at this time of year.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • They're both great films. Can't wait for his next one, some Viking thing I think.
  • 176. Frozen
    It's still interesting how big Let It Go is. I wonder why the kids love it over all the previous songs. Still a pretty good movie too.
    [7]

177. Frozen 2
    Some good, even great, songs marred by white saviour issues and a script that is a bit too 'wink wink'.
    [6]

178. Synecdoche, New York
    Watching this again after Ending Things really shows the similarities between the films. I do need to do more reading about this film as there's a lot of threads I'm no good at connecting.
    [8]

179. The Strangers: Prey at Night
    Shame the whole film isn't put together as well as the pool scene. The first one is such a solid and grim film but this one not so much. Needed another common sense pass.
    [5]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Only a 7 for Frozen?? Olaf alone is worth an 8... and what about the shinies?
  • I've never seen Frozen but I love me a bit of Let It Go, shit's a banger.
  • The Frozen fervour puzzles me a bit too. It's not bad but never struck me as better than lower tier of the mostly good mainline Disney films. Which puts it at a pleasant [6] or so, but it's no Tangled. Also thought the sequel was a sub Little Mermaid 2 straight to VHS standard cash-in.
  • Calm With Horses

Grim 'n gritty rural Irish crime drama. Excellent performances all round, does nothing new but does everything well. Co-stars Niamh Algar, who I've yet to see in anything I didn't like. [8].
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Calm With Horses

Grim 'n gritty rural Irish crime drama. Excellent performances all round, does nothing new but does everything well. Co-stars Niamh Algar, who I've yet to see in anything I didn't like. [8].

Saw this on BFI player early lockdown, thought it was very good indeed and yeah, great performances.

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Last film I saw before cinemas first closed earlier in the year. One of the better releases of the year.
  • 71. Weathering With You - 21 Nov
    An utterly beautiful anime, although many things are unexplained. Makoto Shinkai continues to produce stuff I love.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    I had doubts, but it really is as good as everyone says. And what a voice cast!
  • Its fantastic.
    Check out the many videos highlighting the changes in animation frames on our Spidey as he learns to swing. That is next level stuff.
  • Time for some catch up:

29. Before Midnight. Me and wife watched the first two parts ages ago, we found Hawke a bit annoying. He's still annoying, but this is pretty masterful filmmaking from Linklater, every detail is considered. A great finish to a nice trilogy.

30. Life of Pi. UHD rewatch. Looks and sounds lovely, though I felt like I should've been reading the book instead of rewatching the film.

31. True History of the Kelly Gang. Got a bit bored of this, though it did pique my interest in Ned. Turns out most of this film is a rough "interpretation" as is only very loosely based on fact.

32. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Wow! What a brilliant film, and the score is just perfect. Will be hitting the others in the trilogy at some point.

33. The Personal History of David Copperfield. Nice but not great. Enjoyed this quirky retelling of the Dickens classic.

34. Palm Springs. Good fun, enjoyed. Don't look up what happens before you watch it!

35. Dr Strangelove... Never seen this before, so the UHD release was a good opportunity to tick it off the bucketlist. Great satire!

36. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies. Watched with the boy, but some of it was genuinely funny!

37. The Princess Bride. Another classic UHD remaster, watched with the boy, who instantly fell in love with it. He even started saying "as you wish" whenever I asked him to do stuff.

38. The Report. Good dramatisation of dodgy post 9/11 CIA torture methods. Essential Viewing along with...

39. Official Secrets. UK version of The Report. Spoiler: Blair's a warmongering twat!

40. Mulan (1998). Never seen this before, so gave it a bash. Really enjoyed it.

41. Blade. Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, I remember loving this back in the day. Maybe it's Blade 2 I remember so fondly. Still, solid vamp action from Snipes.

42. Flash Gordon. UHD Rewatch. GORDON'S ALIVE!

43. Back to the Future. UHD Rewatch. A very well done transfer to 4k, still a top tier film. Will be revisting the sequels asap!

44. Mulan (2020). I understand the issues around the film, but it's a solid action adventure nonetheless.

45. 300. UHD Rewatch. SPARTANS! PREPARE FOR GLORY! Classic, looks and sounds great on the remaster.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jealous of your first time viewing of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly  and Strangelove.  wow.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Strangelove's been on my radar for ages, so the remaster seemed a good time to jump in. I don't know how The Good, The Bad and the Ugly has passed me by for so long.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's very much the high point of the trilogy though the other two are still great stuff - just don't expect the sheer majesty of TGTBATU.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s wrote:

I'm a Tangled guy for life
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    A light dusting with baby powder can help matters.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

I'm a Dapper Dan man!
  • b0r1s wrote:
    The horse is an all-time great piece of animation character work, but Moana edges Tangled overall for me.
  • davyK wrote:
    It's very much the high point of the trilogy though the other two are still great stuff - just don't expect the sheer majesty of TGTBATU.

I tried watching Fistful of Dollars again not long ago. Found myself thinking “this ain’t no Yojimbo” and turned it off. That’s not how I felt the first time I watched it though and it’s not that Fistful is bad in any way, it’s good and I like it. Just... dunno. It was a weird moment, feeling like that about a movie that I liked.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!