Movie record 2020 edition
  • djchump wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Only a 7 for Frozen?? Olaf alone is worth an 8... and what about the shinies?
    I'm a Tangled guy for life
    The horse is an all-time great piece of animation character work, but Moana edges Tangled overall for me.

Moana is an all-timer for sure. Didn't realise those songs were Lin-Manuel but now it makes sense as to why they're so fantastic.
  • 180. Tenet
    Genuinely love the concept and how much it makes you really think about how it works. It would be great except the film itself is not much fun at all. The action is interesting but it's all very visually drab (that final set piece location bleugh), the baddie is too unpleasant to be entertaining, the one (!) female lead is horrendously written and the whole thing is edited down for efficiency to a fault. I wish I wanted to sit through it again to attempt to piece it together but I really don't.
    [4]
  • Was good to be in a cinema again though with my stupidly big popcorn and drink and with Nolan's overdone sound-mix blasting my ears off through the IMAX speakers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    It's very much the high point of the trilogy though the other two are still great stuff - just don't expect the sheer majesty of TGTBATU.
    I tried watching Fistful of Dollars again not long ago. Found myself thinking “this ain’t no Yojimbo” and turned it off. That’s not how I felt the first time I watched it though and it’s not that Fistful is bad in any way, it’s good and I like it. Just... dunno. It was a weird moment, feeling like that about a movie that I liked.

They were solid enough low budget flicks that did good. TGTBATU felt like it benefited from the money they made.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • John Henry - enjoyable debut effort from the director, felt a bit meandering in the first couple of acts but picked up for the finale. Could've used a script pass imo but plenty of worse ways to spend 90mins. 2.5/5

Shadow Warriors: Assault on Devil's Island - starring Terry 'Hulk' Hogan Crews, this was phenomenally bad, if it were any better it wouldn't be worth watching, but as a cringe-worthy look at the acting chops of Hulk, it's quite entertaining. Carl Weathers is the best thing in it. 1/5

Friday - hadn't seen this before, knew the memes. Fun film 3/5

The Debt Collector - standard hard-man buddy film with Scott Adkins, did the job for a saturday evening viewing 2/5

The Dead Zone - enjoyable King adaptation from Cronengberg with Walken his usual enigmatic self as a RTA survivor with newly found psychic powers. 4/5

Goon - as expected light fluff for Sunday daytime, nothing new but I enjoyed it. 2.5/5

Up! - 1970s sexploitation from Russ Meyer, surprised to see this in its entirety on YouTube as it has a fair bit of nudity in. Ever wondered what Hitler would be doing in the 70s if he faked his death? The answer is fetish domination in the California hills. Didn't make it to the end of this one tbh but as an oddity to find on YouTube I found it amusing. 1.5/5

That's 154 new (to me) films for the year.
  • Pretty sure Up! Was part of a Russ double feature I saw at a revival cinema here in Melbourne. Was a weird one to watch with other people...
    That one wasn't very good but the second of the double was not bad. I think it might have been Faster Pussycat
  • 48. Planes, Trains & Automobiles
    An all timer. Surprisingly sweary and my favourite bit in the car at night still makes me laugh out loud. ( 8 )

49. Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban
    I've seen all of these films many, many times and I think this is the best one. Great direction and I'm a sucker for the timey-wimey stuff. (7)

50. Avengers Endgame
    Still love it, even though I've seen it multiple times. So many great comic book moments and a great send off for Iron Man and Cap. ( 8 )
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    The Dead Zone - enjoyable King adaptation from Cronengberg with Walken his usual enigmatic self as a RTA survivor with newly found psychic powers. 4/5 [

Sheen has done the best ever and worst ever President. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Secret: Dare to Dream
    Utter mince. Like watching a Hallmark-level Christmas movie that wasn’t even set at Christmas time. Katie Holmes, what happened to you and your career?
  • Tom Cruise

• 181. The Dark and the Wicked
    Quite creepy and tense at times but I was a bit disappointed at the overuse of loud Scare Stings when they really weren't needed. The visuals were enough. Plus I would have peaced out after the first freaky occurrence.
    [6]
  • 182. 16 Blocks
    A kind of entertaining action thriller thing that doesn't really make you feel like anything was gained by watching it.
    [5]

183. Devil
    I enjoyed this quite a bit. Quite a bit of logic to the processes even though it has a supernatural concept. Just doesn't quite stick the landing.
    [7]
  • Lord of War
    This stands up well. Nic Cage as a Ukrainian in America who turns to arms dealing in a big way. Jared Leto stays out the way enough to not ruin it. Bleak but still fun.
  • 51. Kingpin
    Not as funny as I remember it being, but still pretty damn funny. Bill Murray's facial expressions alone make it worth a rewatch. 7

52. Last Christmas
    Schmaltzy bollocks, but still better than I thought it'd be. The soundtrack is the best part of it, even though I'm not a fan of either Wham or George. 5
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Love Kingpin. Murray on top form.
  • 172. Marnie - 6
    Not a great Hitchcock film, which still equates to being better than most. Decent.

173. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - 7
    My personal pick of the trilogy, some hilarious lines still make me laugh out loud. Good fun.

174. Harry Brown - 6
    Pretty much a British version of Gran Turino with Michael Cain instead of Clint. It's ok.

175. One Hour Photo - 6
    Robin Williams plays a lonely photo lab technician who has an obsession with a family who he lives through vicariously. Good to see Williams tackle something different, but the film is just not that gripping. Worth a watch though.

176. Cop Land - 7
    Stallone is the local Sherriff of a town populated by corrupt NYPD officers. Great cast, good stuff.

177. Big Trouble in Little China - 8
    Kurt and Carpenter in 80's gold. A classic for my generation. "Goodbye Mr Burton"

178. Fury - 8
    Solid WWII movie with Brad Pitt. Actually enjoyed this one much more than I did on my initial viewing. Possibly a top 5 war movie for me.

179. Goodnight Mister Tom - 7
    An abused infant is evacuated the the country side during the blitz and forms a close relationship with the titular Mister Tom. Heartwarming stuff.

180. In Time - 7
    Justin Timberlake is the lead in this sci-fi action flick. Feels like a throwback to those low budget 80's sci-fi films. Nowhere near as good as the best of those, but I still really enjoyed it.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Love Cop Land, still haven't seen Fury. Will put it on the list.
  • Yeah Cop Land is brilliant, watched it again a year back or so. What a cast.
  • 155. M.F.A.
    Art student Francesca (daughter of Clint) Eastwood is raped, turns vigilante and finds new levels of inspiration for her work in this flawed but interesting thriller. 7

156. An Officer and a Gentleman
    Iconic slice of 80s cinema. Romance, drama, tragedy, redemption, Louis Gossett Jr's Oscar winning turn, hit soundtrack and Richard Gere in his white naval aviator suit, classic. 8

157. Babylon
    Gritty, racially charged 1980 film, set around Brixton, centring on the reggae/sound system scene and the character of Blue, played by Aswad's Brinsley Forde. Great soundtrack and patois infused script. 8

158. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
    Apeshit, chip on shoulder nutjob Rebecca de Mornay poses as nanny to wreak vengeance on idyllic family. Pretty effective 90s psychological thriller from L.A. Confidential's Curtis Hanson. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The Hand That Rocks the Cradle is sublime fluff.
  • Aye, one that had passed me by. I enjoyed it, sister loved it.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I think we’re all at the point of digging out old classics now, thanks to Covid-19. Not a lot of new films worth watching appearing on the horizon.

In Time is a cracking piece of one-off B-movie sci-fi. A clear concept, mid-range budget, and charismatic lead couple. job done.

And The Hand the Rocks the Cradle is great. Again, it’s a clear, simple idea executed well.
  • Yeah I watched that earlier in the year myself. Didn't realise it was by the same director as L.A. Confidential, should give that another viewing soon.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah, I'm lining Tenant up tonight then thinking of revisiting a few of my favoirites that I havent seen for a while:
    Arlington Rd
    Frailty
    Third Man

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Yeah I watched that earlier in the year myself. Didn't realise it was by the same director as L.A. Confidential, should give that another viewing soon.

I've been meaning to watch LA for the First Time Ever. I know, it should have been done already
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:

In Time is a cracking piece of one-off B-movie sci-fi. A clear concept, mid-range budget, and charismatic lead couple. job done.

I don’t know many people who have watched or like that film. Despite old Timberlake not being the best actor in the world (his drunk take early on being the low point) I really enjoy the concept, pacing and singular focus. Murphy and the guy from Mad Men bring the A game to the supporting cast. Very watchable movie that I’ve seen a few times. And obviously very pertinent right now.

I've been meaning to watch LA for the First Time Ever. I know, it should have been done already

I rewatched during lockdown and it's still superb. Incredible cast.
  • 159. Parasite
    Poor family infiltrate wealthy family as their domestic staff in Bong Joon-ho's class themed black comedy. An excellent piece of filmmaking. 9
  • 53. Hotel Mumbai
    Extremely harrowing but well made account of the Mumbai terror attacks - absolutely blood chilling and notable for not portraying the killers as simple men of evil, rather as desperate, misguided and easily manipulated young men who carry out acts of extreme and undeniable evil. Dev Patel is excellent as ever. 8

54. Elf
    Christmas classic, always great fun to watch with the family. 8[\b]
  • I'm saving Elf for Christmas Eve this year. It's supplanted Home Alone as the must watch for me. Although the decision is easier this year as I watched Home Alone just over a month ago.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!