Movie record 2020 edition
  • Yup
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It is still amazing how smooth it is. Really no wobbling or swinging. Very well executed.
  • Yup. The real trick would be to see a one take video of it done LIVE to see just how good it was. That video is obviously from a tv special, so I'll be very surprised if it isn't cobbled together from multiple live takes, interspersed with takes shot without the audience present.
    Either way, the man's still a consummate performer.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 114. Dead Shack
    Weekend vacationers find family loyalties run deep when they cross the living Lauren Holly and her undead family in this goofy and original yet flawed zomcom. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Predestination Great time travel film which is absolutely not what I was expecting after reading the description on Prime. Can’t say more without spoiling but watch it. [8]
  • The source Heinlein sci-fi short “All You Zombies” is one of my all time faves: https://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/uploads/Robert-A.-Heinlein-All-You-Zombies.pdf

Spoilers for the film, natch.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They take pretty much all of that with very few changes for the film.
  • Not quite, the film does add yet another level to it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep I know they add to it...
    Spoiler:

What I meant was they haven’t really changed the core premise of the short story.
  • Yeah, that’s fair.

It’s one of my favourite films, I think. Flawed, but fascinating. And Sarah Snook is just incredible in it - hard to believe she’s gone on to do even better work in Succession.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah she was great but I couldn’t shake the likeness to...
    Spoiler:

May give Succession a go too.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Predestination Great time travel film which is absolutely not what I was expecting after reading the description on Prime. Can’t say more without spoiling but watch it. [8]

Class film. My head's still in bits.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep. The bar scene, in particular, is top notch. I think I was expecting Time Cop, but got something far better.
  • The Personal History of David Copperfield

Well that was just lovely. Dev Patel absolutely shines as Copperfield and the casting is exceptional. Beautiful cinematography, fantastic writing and just exudes charm. A perfect 10 from me
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 125. The Public Enemy - 7
    Cagneys break out role, eclipsed by his later films but still worth a watch.

126. Oblivion - 7
    Decent Tom Cruise sci-fi romp, does't do anything new but what it does is entertaining enough.

127. Jay and Silent Bob Reboot - 5
    Not terrible, but it constantly made me wish I was just watching one of their older films. Reminded me a lot of Dumb and Dumber To, road trip plot culminating in a father/daughter reveal at a convention. Both disappointing sequels.

128. Election - 8
    Quite a dark comedy set in a US Mid West High-School, which I think went criminally overlooked in the wake of American Pie back in the day. Reece Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick are both superb.

129. Wild - 7
    Reece Witherspoon stars in this true story of a recently divorced women who is at a crossroads in life and goes on the PCT (which is a long hike on America's West coast) to rediscover herself. Decent.

130. Double Bunk - 8
    Charming B&W 60s comedy with Sid James and Liz Frazer. A must for fans of the period.

131. Ghostbusters - 9
    One of the films of my youth and will forever be a firm favourtie, love it.

132. Ghostbusters II - 8 
    I'm biased but everyone I know also loves this. Seems to be a mixed bag in the wider world but another I personally love.

133. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother - 6
    I was expecting to like this more off the back of the stellar cast, not a patch on Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles but still decent.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dressed To Kill
    You were only supposed to put the bloody women's clothes on. Yeah an odd one this.

Rambo: Last Blood
    You could pretty much just watch the last 15 minutes really, the rest is a poor and plodding Taken rip off. Those said last 15 minutes are basically R rated Home Alone. Probably better left alone.
  • I was smashed by the last 15 minutes, which improved things massively. Saw it in the cinema which I prepared for with a hip flask tooling up montage. Teriible film though.
  • Rambo 4 was also disappointing when I saw it again recently, I remembered it being much better.

First Blood is still great at least.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I fully intent to watch it tomorrow and let you know my thoughts. On a bit of a Stallone kick right now. Demolition Man and Cobra today.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve never seen Cobra. Trufax
  • It's excellent
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Where can I watch it legally?
  • Amazon Prime my good man
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tomorrow it is then.
  • Lol I watched Cobra tonight too. Must have been snake oil in the air.

115. Cobra
    So cheesy, so 80s, so bad, so Stallone. Peak Sly growls his way through this dark thriller as the titular cop whilst bagging the sweatiest bad guy in all moviedom and bedding Brigitte into the bargain. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Cobra is Stallone's Commando imo.
    There is some weird thing about it as well, something about the book being totally different and having a different title. One of those buy the rights and bin it all deals iirc.
  • COBRA!
  • Rambo 4 was also disappointing when I saw it again recently, I remembered it being much better.

Same, although I only made it as far as the super army soldiers bit on the boat the second time.  I've not seen II or III but First Blood is a cracker.
  • 106. The Old Guard
    Fun concept marred by woefully average and lazy writing. You never really feel like they've been alive that long.
    [5]
  • Cobra's weird, it plays out as a slasher horror film for the first half or so then goes into straight up action for the end. Odd mix. Great theme song.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!