regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Saw Birds of Prey in 2DX and I'm now really intrigued about 2DX - extraneous shots, parts of films, does this affect the BBFC rating?
    Anyway, it was great. DC's best film so far. Bring on WW84.

Also saw Color Out of Spaceand it wasn't until
    Spoiler:
    that I remembered it was Lovecraft. Anyway, daft fun.
  • Webbins wrote:
    48. Thunder Road Incredibly touching comedic melodrama with a great central performance by Jim Cummings. 9

Written, directed, edited, produced, main actored etc etc etc by the one guy. I liked it too. I thought he wrote a good script.

Yes, saw his name cropping up quite a bit in the credits! Talented guy to pull all that off and anchor the film with such a nuanced performance. Great effort.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What be 2DX?

It's where there's extraneous shots / information plastered both on the left and right of the main screen.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    So did the 2DX add much to the experience? I'm assuming that it must have if you consider Birds of Prey to be the best DC film so far...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    That sounds bizarre.

It is bad it's incredibly interesting.
    jdanielp wrote:
    So did the 2DX add much to the experience? I'm assuming that it must have if you consider Birds of Prey to be the best DC film so far...

Very much so. Someone must have a job where they have to edit 2DX because it comes in and out of the movie at particularly intense or dramatic moments.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    reg wrote:
    you consider Birds of Prey to be the best DC film so far...

Wow, that's a big call, not seen it yet, but that's a huge call
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Calling it the best DC film so far is not exactly huge praise.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    This 2DX thing sounds distracting as fuck.
  • Sound like the thing VH1 used to do with some of their music videos.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Calling it the best DC film so far is not exactly huge praise.

Maybe not, though weren't the batman trilogy DC??? However I have fixed quote so it's reg not JD
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    How many extra tags are we gonna put on this

It's the best MGM movie, well yeah if yo uignore everything before 1980

And everything not 3D

And of course everything after we got bought out, hahahaha
  • You dont see the distinction with a series of movies?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I genuinely think at this point in time I appear to be outside the "loop" far enough that this amuses me

I thought Batman was DC, I never thought DC (at that time, nor this) were doing the whole let's make 40 movies and ope they all sell out with a common thread
  • You should watch Justice League then
  • You should watch Justice League then

No, don’t do that to yourself. Have some self respect man.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    This 2DX thing sounds distracting as fuck.

I saw BOP on an X screen, and it is distracting as fuck because the format isn't consistent throughout the movie. You start to get used to it on three screens then zing back to one. All or nothing please filmmakers, ta.

As for the movie, my daughter thought it wasn't as good as Suicide Squad but she's a funny one :)
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • 49. Daddy's Home
    Tittersome comedy with Ferrell and Wahlberg facing off as competing fathers. 7

50. Cocktail
    TC shakes his way through this cheesy but entertaining, 80s boozy romp. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 40. The Call of the Wild - 7
    Much better than I was expecting after the trailer. Definitely one for dog lovers.

41. The Invisible Man - 8
    Another pleasant surprise. Genuinely creepy in places with a satisfying conclusion.

42. A Man Called Horse - 6
    Richard Harris plays a British Toff captured by a tribe of Native Americans. After a few failed attempts at escaping he learns their way of life, ultimately becoming one of them. Decent.

43. Toy Story 4 - 8
    Doesn't match the dizzying heights of the third movie but this is still excellent on its own terms. Ducky and Bunny are hilarious.

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Webbins wrote:
    49. Daddy's Home
    Tittersome comedy with Ferrell and Wahlberg facing off as competing fathers. 7

50. Cocktail
    TC shakes his way through this cheesy but entertaining, 80s boozy romp. 7

Back when I was a young lad our household woke up on a Sunday morning to find a Cocktail Soundtrack CD resting in our backyard. I'm guessing someone nearby did not approve of that soundtrack and decided it need to go.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    48.  Mother - Loved Hye-ja Kim as the lead.  A well-oiled machine which left me wanting a more conflicted mother-son relationship.  [7]

49.  Paradox (SPL 3) - I knew it wouldn't match SPL 2 but it still disappointed.  A lot of the fights are choppily edited and the drama doesn't land quite so well, despite being superficially similar.  What we get of Tony Jaa is good and some people definitely got hurt, which is mostly what I'm here for.  [6]

50.  Bone Tomahawk - A steady supply of amusing lines made it a pleasant journey then it lost me a bit once they got to their destination.  I think I expected it to get properly intense but the action just...happens, with little embellishment.  That one native character told me it wasn't racist but idk.  [6]

Portrait of a Lady on Fire went up in my estimation after sitting on it for a week or so, would have to revise it up to [8]/4*/really good.  Beautiful movie, would love to catch it again but the multiplexes aren't showing it.
  • L.A Confidential
    Had one eye on this when it popped up on TV over the weekend. Hadn't seen it in years, and it remains diverting enough. Perhaps most notable for both James Cromwell's awful proto-Irish accent and just how baby-faced Russell Crowe looks.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    23. True History of the Kelly Gang

Raucous, if a little misleadingly titled, semi-biographical crime drama about Ned Kelly.

[7]

(Including Russell Crowe not looking at all baby-faced and leading an entertainingly rude sing-along.)
  • 10. Rush Hour 2 - ??? Feb
    I love the first film and regularly quote from it, could probably watch repeatedly. I remember enjoying the sequel, but on repeat watch, it’s actually shit. But GOD DAYUM ZHANG ZIYI IS SO UTTERLY FUCKING GORGEOUS I LOVE HER AND WANT TO GIVE HER BABIEZ
    [3]

11. Tower Heist - ??? Feb
    Another random Netflix choice. I had forgotten that I had seen this before until about 5 minutes in but decided to carry on anyway. The definition of average.
    [5]

12. Star Trek (2009) - 29th Feb
    Enjoyable reboot with some absolutely stunning space shots.
    [7]

13. Kiki’s Delivery Service - 1st Mar
    Ugh, American dub. Not too bad I suppose. Watched it on Netflix with the kids. Not as good as I remember from yonks ago, but still very charming and a great fun coming of age story. Kids liked it, but obviously not as much as Totoro.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Thelma and Louise - Two women peace out of society because all the men are awful but it's also like a sunny feelgood buddy movie, which I think I'm okay with when it's this entertaining.  Ned...Ryerson!  [8]

The Pirate - Takes longer than usual to get going but once it does it's a delight.  It's Minnelli directing Judy and Gene, you can't go wrong.  Love it when Judy gets to be funny and give those old vaudeville muscles a workout, which she does to great effect during Be A Clown (which later...inspired Make 'em Laugh).  Gene gets to flex in a more literal way, bouncing through some particularly athletic latin and ballet-flavoured routines.  [8]

The Grey - Plenty to admire even if I got tired of the sad/angry man bants in the middle.  [6]

Porco Rosso (rewatch) - Among Ghibli's best.  Piggo's past and his relationship with Gina never get in the way of the fun stuff but still manage to hit home.  I'm a sucker for that opening, as well.  [9]
  • I don’t think I got on with Porco. Will see how it is on rewatch with the kids.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    24. Dark Waters

Powerful if fairly slow burning and deeply depressing corporate negligence class action biodrama.

[8]
  • Stan and Ollie

By the numbers biopic vastly elevated by the main performances. Coogan's turn as Stan Laurel is genuinely exceptional.

Gentle and affectionate filmmaking, which felt perfect for the subject matter. By the time the credits arrived I was in such a contented place the text made me do an 'aaaaAAHHH' noise to squash the fact that I was starting to well up. Enjoyed very very much. [8]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!