Just completed
  • Bayonetta on PC.

Playing through again on hard. I'm so much better at it the second time around.

I did have to use items on the fight with Jeanne after the space harrier level, no way I'm doing that again while learning the Jeanne fight.

Jesus that goes on way too long.

Will try Infinite Climax after hopefully.

It's true that when you complete one of these types of games, that's when it truly starts.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Wonder Boy - Dragon's Trap on Switch!

Loved it.  I bet it would have been my favourite Master System game back when I was a kid, but never knew about it.  For those not in the know, it's a 2d metroidvania, where you switch between several beastly forms with their own abilities.

It's aged really well with apparently nothing more than some new graphics and sound (although I think the old sound is just great.  You can swap in and out of new/old graphics or new/old sound with the press of a button as you play.  It's fun to see what they've done, when you're not fighting or platforming).

The only modern(ish) trapping I missed was having a map.  As is the nature of a metroid style game, I was sometimes unsure of where to go next.  You have to retrace old levels and make sure you can't access a new screen to find out, unless you have a great memory or are using a guide.  Though even if you waste a little time going back, you still earn coins to upgrade your gear.  You even get to keep your coins if you die, which i think encouraged me to go off the beaten track a bit.

One thing, if you've never played before and are thinking of doing so, the game's challenge rises very steadily; if you encounter a difficulty spike, chances are you've come across a level that's supposed to be played a bit later in the game, once you've got a more suitable form.

A pretty good get on the Switch too given there's not a great deal of software available just yet.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Metro: Last Night. Redux.

Overall, freakin amazing.

What a pair of games.

Technical improvements over the first, mixed bag story wise. Some solid sections and good job on simple revenge bits, but opening is pure set up sequel drivel.

Second one is a heck of a lot longer, or at least felt it. Thought I was on home stretch for what felt like half the game.

Some gripes mentioned in the currently playing thread, but damn, I forgive it all.

The game dares to try stuff.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Limbo and Inside

Hadn't played Limbo yet, so decided to play one after the other. Enjoyed both of them for loads of reasons, didn't like the time based puzzles in either of them.

Had a bit of a hard time with Limbo at some point, as the world wasn't making sense to me, and I wasn't really enjoying the puzzles in that area.
    Spoiler:

For Inside, had a look in the thread and seem to agree with most people in there. Game has loads of great areas, some less great and an ending that you'll at least remember.
    Spoiler:

Both are very pretty and fairly dark. I wasn't as shocked by seeing either of the boys die as B was, he still looked up whenever I killed one of them again. Inside had the nastier death animations imo, but then, it has better animations overall. Now to wonder what the stories could actually try to tell, but I have a feeling there's loads of possibilities an no one really knows. Good stuff, if I ever have a couple of hours left I might try to get some more of the achievements in Inside, for the extra ending.
  • Inside
    Spoiler:
  • I finished Horizon. I think I would have liked it more if I'd gotten on with the combat but I could never quite nail it down and so whenever it all kicked off it just felt sloppy and I kept getting hit by splash attacks even with some nice dodges and I just got frustrated. Pretty much just mainlined it. I look forward to seeing the engine used again though, damn pretty with some amazing lighting.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Please don't tweet that you've finished it, guerrilla will see and they retweet everything... Need to unfollow them, it's getting annoying. B isn't even in the proper credits as he left before the end. He's still a bit bitter about that, his name is next to someone who was only there for a few months.

About Inside
    Spoiler:
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Never played Limbo or Inside. Those games (along with a lot of other XBLA type games) would be perfect for the Switch.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Haak right I don't do this often but you're a bro play Inside, drop everything else.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So yes, Bravely/Default (3DS)

A pretty classic JRPG, with intriguing story of classic form, and a neat core mechanic and job system.  Nicely judged curve, optional subquests etc.  Fixed team of four meant slightly less variety that some games in terms of richness of cast, but the job stuff meant that didn't affect it mechanically.

Graphics were absolutely top notch - very cleverly pre-rendered textures combined with 3D meshes looked stunning at times - excellent use of the hardware.  Music excellent too, and sound effects very of its type. Voice acting OK but occasionally annoying.

The whole world 5-8 thing didn't annoy me, as I mainlined it.  But i know it has annoyed others.  It did leave a pretty tedious difficulty spike at the end though, but I guess that was of my own making.  And I like that you can combine classes to cheese stuff once you know how...  Ending was kinda amusing i retrospect - alongside the 
    Spoiler:

Overall then - a pretty solid [8] despite the various misgivings.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Titan Souls Just under 4 hours. 278 deaths. All titans dead. Enjoyed it overall. It's a nice idea and the bosses are well-designed and varied. It walks a fine line between rewarding (the sudden stop when you finally land a killer blow is always very satisfying) and frustrating, and it's probably a good job they didn't drag it on too long, but it usually it gets it right. Quick restarts help. Lovely music too.
    I think I'll download this on the Vita for tomorrow.  I've heard mixed reports but it still appeals.
    I'm half tempted, but only so I can feel smug if I get a mere 277 deaths.

I started this last night. First titan down. 0 deaths. I assume this will extrapolate linearly.
  • Nina wrote:
    Please don't tweet that you've finished it, guerrilla will see and they retweet everything... Need to unfollow them, it's getting annoying. B isn't even in the proper credits as he left before the end. He's still a bit bitter about that, his name is next to someone who was only there for a few months.

About Inside
    Spoiler:

They didn't retweet my one about not really liking it. Surprisingly. I tried to pick a Bas but there were so many names!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I started this last night. First titan down. 0 deaths. I assume this will extrapolate linearly.
    It'll probably be inconsistent. Even some of the later ones can be done quickly, whereas others will take many attempts. It depends how quickly you spot the weakness, or sometimes on getting a bit lucky (there was one where I walked in, fired and killed it first time before even knowing what was going on).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe I'm just... better than you?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    h0
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

A pretty classic JRPG, with intriguing story of classic form, and a neat core mechanic and job system.  Nicely judged curve, optional subquests etc.  Fixed team of four meant slightly less variety that some games in terms of richness of cast, but the job stuff meant that didn't affect it mechanically.

Graphics were absolutely top notch - very cleverly pre-rendered textures combined with 3D meshes looked stunning at times - excellent use of the hardware.  Music excellent too, and sound effects very of its type. Voice acting OK but occasionally annoying.

The whole world 5-8 thing didn't annoy me, as I mainlined it.  But i know it has annoyed others.  It did leave a pretty tedious difficulty spike at the end though, but I guess that was of my own making.  And I like that you can combine classes to cheese stuff once you know how...  Ending was kinda amusing i retrospect - alongside the 
    Spoiler:

For the sequel I sat both tempy and elm down in a pub on separate occasions and explained how the plot of BD2 was the most important and meta plot since MGS2. I stand by it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'd like to give it a go at some point, need a breather first though!
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Maybe I'm just... better than you?
    If only we'd played it at the same time we could have found out. Oh well.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm anticipating 278 deaths. At which point I'll lie, obvs.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

Spoiler:

For the sequel I sat both tempy and elm down in a pub on separate occasions and explained how the plot of BD2 was the most important and meta plot since MGS2. I stand by it.

Sounds like an interesting night. Sorry I missed it
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    It'll probably be inconsistent. Even some of the later ones can be done quickly, whereas others will take many attempts. It depends how quickly you spot the weakness, or sometimes on getting a bit lucky (there was one where I walked in, fired and killed it first time before even knowing what was going on).

I am no longer a zero deaths.
    Spoiler:

I imagine the speed run is ridic on this.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I'd like to give it a go at some point, need a breather first though!
    Spoiler:

So the version of BD we got is actually a remixed version of the first game that came out later in Japan called "Bravely Default - For The Sequel". I'd assume it was added in for that.
  • Finished the campaign of Halo 5 this afternoon. Despite reading and hearing a lot of negativity about the single player, I really enjoyed it. It looks lovely, the gameplay is still great and I had no issues with playing the majority as Locke. The story started off quite strong but then became a bit messy.

I also liked some of the slight tweaks to gameplay they have introduced and the Forerunners continue to be an enjoyable alternative to the Covenant. Good stuff and I look forward to the next instalment.

And the game is obviously 12.5% better for having Nathan Fillion in it.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Shadows of the Damned on Xbox 360

I'd played this SIX YEARS ago!  My gosh it doesn't feel that long.  Mostly wanted a quick and mindless shooting game as I've been playing a lot of RPG's lately and needed a change up!  It was certainly quick (about 6 and a half hours I think), though it was a bit more tactical than I remember it being (it's a bit like a more mobile version of Resident Evil 4, where your character can run and aim, and has an invincible dodge move).  It has exactly as many dick jokes as I remember though.  Pretty much every line of dialogue.  Some are better than others, but I do appreciate a video game story that's played for laughs all the way though like this.

It is a Grasshopper/Suda 51 game and it does feel a bit like they were trying to live up to their kooky reputations.  Some designs just feel a bit random and it's mostly only skin deep (EG: instead of gates having locks and keys, they have baby faces that need to be fed strawberries and eyeballs).  A lot of the later enemies feel a bit over designed as well and don't really end up looking like anything.  It's at least memorable though.

It has a great soundtrack and looks fine especially for a game of its age.  Even though it is very short it still seems to run out of ideas about halfway through.  It also often sets it checkpoints before cutscenes which can be frustrating.

I liked it on the whole, though it was a bit slow in places and I felt like quitting once or twice along the way.  Wouldn't recommend going out of your way to track it down or anything, but kind of an interesting game.

Also completed the story mode for Injustice 1 on Wii U which is complete nonsense but still fun for what it is (ie: super heroes and villains punching on for like 3 hours).
  • I agree with pretty much all your thoughts on Shadows of the Damned, though I think overall I probably liked it somewhat more than you did.
  • Cool, glad you enjoyed it!

Did you like those crude fairy tale books that you could read from time to time?  Thought they were great, especially the way Garcia and Johnson read to each other.
  • Yeah, those parts were some of my favourites. I wasn't a fan of Resi 4, to be honest, so I think it was exactly stuff like the story books that kept me hooked long enough to finish it.
  • I agree with pretty much all your thoughts on Shadows of the Damned, though I think overall I probably liked it somewhat more than you did.

I enjoyed the whole thing apart from the bit where you had to defend from an area and he kept shouting something about his massive cock which would've been fine expect I wasn't very good at it and I died a lot

The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    I agree with pretty much all your thoughts on Shadows of the Damned, though I think overall I probably liked it somewhat more than you did.

I enjoyed the whole thing apart from the bit where you had to defend from an area and he kept shouting something about his massive cock which would've been fine expect I wasn't very good at it and I died a lot

Ah, the big boner section...

Yeah, that gave me trouble too. I had to just memorise the enemy spawns in the end.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!