1. Gil Gadot
    2. Shakespeare's Sister
    3. Creamola Foam
    4. The Insprial Carpet
    5. Papa Lazarou

Hahahaha.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dishonored 2

Completed a low chaos Corvo play through so I was relatively happy with that. Finished with about 40% of the trophies too. Took about 16 hours.

Overall I still prefer the first game.

The Forum Herald™
  • 1. Lady Maria
    2. Maiden Astraea
    3. The Old Monk
    4. Priscilla
    5. Abyss Watchers
  • Final Fantasy XV

Been going on about it in the thread, so my thoughts are already pretty clear. It's a mess, and it's hard to tell exactly how much of that is down to design decisions and how much of it is down to not being finished. I'm certainly sure it's partly the latter. But, either way, it's not a disaster, and should be applauded for some real imagination in how it handles the JRPG genre. It's just a shame that every big idea has its downsides.

The main things are:

Combat - a great, fluid, realtime (or semi-realtime) system, which can lead to some epic and exciting battles. The warp mechanic is particularly inspired. But it can also be too hectic for its own good, with you getting hit from behind by one enemy while trying to time attacks on another. Plus the camera can't keep up, especially indoors, and party AI is very hit and miss. Really needed a few more basic commands to tell them to stay back or focus on a particular enemy.

Story - A bold idea to have a lot of events take place off-screen, to focus only on the events experienced by the main characters, which cuts down on a lot of lengthy exposition and cut scenes. But it means you never really know who the supporting cast are, and they just turn up from time to time and then disappear again just as quickly. Mostly it's impossible to do anything other than shrug when stuff happens. Again, no idea if this was a deliberate decision or there was originally meant to be more explanation.

The Party - Another bold move to have an RPG party that is together from the start and already close friends. It allows the game to focus on the bond between them and how it develops and becomes strained throughout the game. But the characters just aren't very interesting or varied enough - far too cynically designed to appeal to a certain audience. We also find out very little about them, especially early on. It does a lot with incidental dialogue to reveal personality, but again too much is not shown or said (one major incident that changes the condition of one of the lads happens completely off screen). It does pull things together pretty well at the end, but it's still a missed opportunity.

Travel - The idea of a road trip and using a car to get about is also pretty original. But in practice it involves long stretches of watching a car go along a road, or waiting for loading screens as you activate quick travel. It's much more fun to grab a chocobo and roam freely, which undermines the point a bit.

I could also add that the side quests and friendly NPCs are very dull (or really bad). The likes of Cindy, Frog Lady (forget her name), Dave (Dave!) and fucking Talcott just aren't good enough. There's also a good chunk in the second half of the game where tons of content must have been cut. It can't have been was planned that way because it makes no sense and a number of chapters skip by contained within a few simple and restricted locations. Whole new areas are mentioned but never seen, and it's hard to believe they weren't meant to be explored too at some point. Plus the infamous chapter 13 - hardly a fitting location for that stage in the story.

So, what it comes down to is some wonderful landscapes, some great monster design, well-designed dungeons, plenty of diversions (fishing, photography) and a strong sense of that exploration and discovery that an open-world RPG needs. For large parts of the game you can go off and do your own shit, finding tombs, hunting monsters, raiding bases and camping out with your mates. And when you're not chasing down some pointless side quest it's an experience that gives any RPG a run for its money, especially as the combat is still often great fun.

Didn't mean to write so much, but it's a game I probably have mixed feelings about more than any other, and if nothing else it's fascinating in what it tries to do and how it fails, leaving us with the most bizarre of results. Maybe it needed even another couple of years in development to make it a true classic, but then maybe we wouldn't have got something quite so odd and curious, that somehow remains compelling even when it's being stupid and clumsy.

I still wouldn't say I really liked it, but I'm glad I played it.
  • Nothing. And I'm posting in here because I have a freakin half finished pile of shame thats amazing.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blackwood Crossing. Story was okay, but very predictable. It seemed to have some nice ideas but didn't execute them terribly well and on occasion the voice work was appalling. On the plus side, it's quite pretty and despite how my brain works, I grasped all the puzzles.

Five clichéd observations about growing up out of ten.
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series, Episode 1

The soundtrack is great, the characters are great. This is to be expected. The interface is clunky, much of the interaction isn't great, and despite the gauche pop-ups suggesting otherwise, it never feels like your input has much meaning. This, too, is to be expected.

Starlord's walking animation when you ask him to interact with something in the distance (which is the part that actually requires some skill, but is not fun) is akin to sped-up footage of a Cyberman who's shat his pants.

I still can't believe anyone thought a recent Telltale game was worthy of Game of the Year, let alone enough of you for it to actually win. Lunacy.
  • The Last Guardian : So so broken. So so dated but still loved it. Not as much as SOTC but I don't think thats going to happen any time soon. 

Oh and Telltale games use the worst game engine in the industry.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Andy wrote:
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series, Episode 1 The soundtrack is great, the characters are great. This is to be expected. The interface is clunky, much of the interaction isn't great, and despite the gauche pop-ups suggesting otherwise, it never feels like your input has much meaning. This, too, is to be expected. Starlord's walking animation when you ask him to interact with something in the distance (which is the part that actually requires some skill, but is not fun) is akin to sped-up footage of a Cyberman who's shat his pants. I still can't believe anyone thought a recent Telltale game was worthy of Game of the Year, let alone enough of you for it to actually win. Lunacy.

Wasn't it like 5 years ago? It was the first Telltale game to use that engine before there was one every other week.
  • Wasn't much competition that year if I remember rightly, wasn't it either that or Journey?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Trials Evo was the winner that year
  • Here's the final list of games:

Journey
    Far Cry 3
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Trials Evo
    Halo 4
    Dishonored
    Mass Effect 3
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die
    Hotline Miami
    Sleeping Dogs
    FORZA Horizon
    Fez
    Okami HD
    Borderlands 2
    Super Hexagon
    FTL
    Mark of the Ninja
    Resident Evil 6
    Minecraft 360
    Kid Icarus Uprising
    Sonic and All-Stars Racing: Transformed
    Lone Survivor
    The Witcher 2
    New Star Soccer
    Legend Of Grimrock
    Spelunky
    ZombiU
    Everybody's Golf
    Binary Domain
    Theatrhythm
    Dear Esther
    Dragons Dogma
    Letterpress
    Spec Ops: The Line
    FIFA 13
    Tokyo Jungle
    New Super Mario Bros. U
    Wipeout 2048
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    Stranger's Wrath HD
    Bride of Pinball
    NiGHTS Into Dreams HD
    New Super Mario Bros. 2
    Tribes Ascend
    MGS HD Collection
    Ghost Recon Future Soldier
    Medievil Madness
    Z.O.E HD collection
    Velocity
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    The Last Story
    PES 2013
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    The Unfinished Swan
    Resident Evil: Revelations
    Lollipop Chainsaw
    Motorstorm RC
    Shinobido 2
    Pokemon Black/White 2
    Alan Wake's American Nightmare
    Bug Princess 2
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Cirqus Voltaire
    Little Big Planet Vita
    Hustle Kings
    Catherine
    Where's My Perry?
    Diablo 3
    Black Mesa
    Jet Set Radio HD
    Unit 13
    Anarchy Reigns
    Guild Wars 2
    Bastion iOS
    Max Payne 3
    Total War: Shogun 2
    Persona 4 Golden
    NintendoLand
    Metal Gear Solid 3 3D
    DoDonpachi Maximum
    Dust 514
    Akari Katana
    Lego Batman 2
    Darksiders 2
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Pinball Arcade
    Rayman Origins (Vita)
    Assassins' Creed 3
    Transformers: Fall Of Cybertron
    Rayman Legends Demo
    Pandora's Tower
    Guardian Cross
    Sniper Elite
    Fallblox
    Rayman Jungle Run
    Beat the Beat

Certainly everything I've played on that list beats Telltale's game hands down, regardless of it being a new engine. Yes, even Journey.
  • Journey was amazing.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm confused, TWD isn't in that list
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd have given it to hotline Miami or hexagon.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'd have given it to hotline Miami or hexagon.
    hi 5
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    It won. That's the rest of the list, in order of how they placed.
  • I don't think I'd played much at the time. Pretty sure Mark of the Ninja was my top vote, and it deserved to do better overall.

Journey, Trials Evolution, Motorstorm RC and Persona 4 G would probably join it now. But it's not a year with any real big name classics.

I'm still surprised people liked TWD that much though. I played the first episode and it was bollocks.
  • Scotswahey wrote:
    The Last Guardian : So so broken. So so dated but still loved it. Not as much as SOTC but I don't think thats going to happen any time soon. 

Oh and Telltale games use the worst game engine in the industry.

Glad you loved it, Scots.
  • TWD is clunky as fuck but the story captured people. There's nothing wrong with it being voted the best game of the year just because people were emotionally invested in it. I've sat and watched three different people play through it who don't particularly all games and they all fell for it wholeheartedly. I've never played a Telltale game since, but I don't regret my love for The Walking Dead, at all. Journey has also had the same response out of people too, there's something to be said for the universal nature of those games.
  • Some of that list shouldn't have been eligible like P4G.
  • JonB wrote:
    I don't think I'd played much at the time. Pretty sure Mark of the Ninja was my top vote, and it deserved to do better overall.

Journey, Trials Evolution, Motorstorm RC and Persona 4 G would probably join it now. But it's not a year with any real big name classics.

I'm still surprised people liked TWD that much though. I played the first episode and it was bollocks.

The first episode was the worst by far.

• The answer is:

1. Trials Evo
    2. Hotline Miami
    3. Motorstorm RC
    4. Pinball Arcade
    5. Mark of the Ninja

Why are Medieval Madness and Bride of Pinball there?  Aren't they tables from Pinball Arcade (Bride of Pinbot)?
  • Andy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Wait.

Far Cry 3 came 3rd?!?

This forum was a mess.
  • Andy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Wait. Far Cry 3 came 3rd?!? This forum was a mess.

Destiny won GotY in its year of release. This forum is indeed a mess.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Metro 2033 redux.

Flawed gem.

So much amazing. So many unforeseen fail states.

Keeps popping up super cheap. Anyone who hasn't should spend the $5 and give it a bash.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Dishonored 2 ng+

High chaos as Emily. Even with all the runes from the first play through and scouring each level there's still not enough runes to power everything up. There's just to many powers, some of which are a bit rubbish, so you basically fall back on reach/blink and bullets/bolts. Cos the others are too fiddly most of the time,

Got a chance to explore more of the levels though and they're really well designed. There's so much to see and do if you explore.

Still feels not as good as the first though.

Deffo not up for a third powerless play through,

61% of trophies.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!