Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also bollo in mid 2015.

The plot thickens...
  • Tearaway Unfolded

In the end, it's probably on a par with the Vita game. What it lacks from the touch screen and camera it makes up for with some extra sections and better overall control. Some bits are kind of dull or overly kiddy, and the camera is more annoying than I remember, but there's just a ton of ideas and the final third in particular brings it together well. Just about worth the second playthrough.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I did Zelda for 3 weeks solid and have a lot of highly original insights:
    Spoiler:

TL;DR  It didn't quite live up to the idea of a 3D Zelda 1 that I had in my head when I first sailed down from the plateau but perhaps it is as close as I could reasonably expect.  In other words, it's very close to my ideal Zelda game and it feels like a minor miracle that it exists.  I love that this is the new Zelda game and that so much of the formula has been rethought, modernised or cast aside.  More faith in the player's intelligence, skill, inquisitiveness and attention-span would've removed any doubt of it being an all-time-great.  I still think it's the best Zelda game if nostalgia is removed from the equation.

Just one more note because it was such a weird feeling seeing Lionel Richie for the first time (atop Zora's Domain but before I'd got the story quest) and immediately recognising him as one of the centaurs from the 8-bit original and therefore quite likely to fuck me up.   Good job, creature designers.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Torment: Tides of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz THIS IS GOOD fleeting opinion WE HAVE DECIDED IT IS GOOD you would it is an isometric rpg

I liked about 70% of it. I'll link an RPG Codex review of the Numenera's beta from way back in July last year that resonates with what I'd say just with better wurds and also a commentary on how the world of Numenera is portrayed in the game since I'm ignorant of the core setting. Ultimately, I fell in love with one act of the game in particular and I find the memories of everything else fading to make room for a more permanent residence for this greater section. Sagus Cliffs, the initial starting hub lacks a real spark of much of anything to cling on to as an identity. Unlike The Bloom where unfavourable actions can result in the very walls wanting to eat you and devour specific elements of your personality it finds palpable.

Characterisation is equally ungainly with only 2 really sticking with me, Erritis, a self-styled gormless adventurer with limitless bravado, a weird golden aura everyone but him can see and an incredibly dark side to his story which only pays off if you select the ability to read minds way back at the start of the game. I didn't share a tear at the end of his tale but I felt feels, and it's great stuff that it essentially made him useless to me as a fighter. Similarly, a small child called Rhin who's laughably underpowered compared to "regular" companions has an interesting twist later on. I can't imagine many RPG makers creating intentionally gimped characters for the sake of narrative payoff. It's a damn shame though they had to cut non-human companions. http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/The_Toy

Despite my gripes I think it's well worth a punt if you're an RPG lover. If you try and explore all conversation avenues and nooks it'll take you goddamn tons of hours though if you start slacking like I did, push forward faster to The Bloom because that's some quality RPG craft. I wonder if they should have just set most of the game in The Bloom as a central hub with many districts and occasional trips through Maws.

[7] SEVEN out of ten [10]

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10354
  • I'll save reading your spoiler bit until I've finished it, but just waned to say that the first 20 hours or so also didn't live up to my expectations of an open world Zelda. But once I got over that disappointment that the game isn't what I wanted but what the devs wanted to make, I started enjoying it more. The last 10 hours or so have been nothing short of amazing. And I've got a long way to go!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Out my way Bollo
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I thought you were trolling ME
  • lol actually fisrt few words sound like I am!
  • Good reviews there chaps.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Agree.

Tides sounds pretty interesting, if not maybe as great as I'd hoped.  PC version is really cheap on CD keys - I picked up a copy but won't have time for it for another month or so.

Yakuza 0

I'd been working through this for a while!  Got caught up with trying to clock Twilight Princess before BOTW, then playing BOTW itself for a couple of weeks.  As such I stuck to the main story for the final few chapters of the game.

That was probably a disservice - the main story is engrossing and is very well told, but it is quite heavy.  The side missions add a bit of levity (except for the odd over the top badass moment - middle aged flamboyant busnessmen ripping off their shirts and blazers to reveal themselves as heavily tattoo'd, ultra ripped killing machines, etc) as they're often humorous and show off the characters in a way you don't get to see much in the main story.

I don't know a huge amount about the Yakuza series in that I only played the original, and a little bit of 2, back when they first came out.  I came out really keen to play the others and I'll get around to them at some point.  It was a great blend of a well told crime story with a heap of memorable characters, an old fashioned beat em up, mini games and joke missions set in a small but dense open map.

Really don't have any gripes, it's a cracking game.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Yeah, really enjoyed Yakuza 0, glad you liked it too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yakuza 0 yeeeaah boys
  • I've just completed downloading Final Fantasy XV. Took about 3.5 days.
    Suppose I'd better play it now.
  • Did you get it for a tenner?
  • Hmmm... First couple of hours are slightly more entertaining than watching it download.

Hope it improves soon.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yakuza 0 yeeeaah boys
    \o/

Represent!

And damn - I was too slow getting 4 & 5 on sale on the PS Store.  Oh well, it's not like there's time to play them at the moment.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yakuza 0 yeeeaah boys
    \o/

Represent!

And damn - I was too slow getting 4 & 5 on sale on the PS Store.  Oh well, it's not like there's time to play them at the moment.

4 is absolutely tops.
  • Awesome, look forward to checking it out at some point!

I don't suppose you've played Yakuza Dead Souls? I'd forgotten all about that. Looks pretty out there.
  • That's one of the few I haven't played. I'm actually a bit conflicted about whether I want to or not - on one hand lots of Goro, on the other hand Yakuza gunplay is often ripe.

Still, might be worth a punt as a curio.
  • Crossposted with Mass Effect thread:

I’ve already written some notes on this game, as i was still playing, so i’ll try not to repeat myself too much. Even though I completed it quite quickly I actually ended with a 79% completion rate, so I saw most of what the game has to offer. Here goes…

There are some side quest spoilers as well as spoilers about my feelings towards the tone and structure of the ending, and spoilers about races and teammates, romances etc. I’d argue it’s nothing massive, but that type of thing varies from person to person. So, as always, i’ll spoiler the lot and ask that you click at your own discretion.

A 4,741 word review of Mass Effect: Andromeda
    Spoiler:

tl;dr

I liked it, despite some massive issues. At its best it really is a Mass Effect game. As its worst…just, lol. By the end I had actually changed my opinion from it’s fine to, it’s actually good, but there remains a lot of stuff to wade through to get there.

So, for ME fans, i’d say it is worth buying, but not worth rushing out for.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Awesome, look forward to checking it out at some point!

I don't suppose you've played Yakuza Dead Souls? I'd forgotten all about that. Looks pretty out there.
    That's one of the few I haven't played. I'm actually a bit conflicted about whether I want to or not - on one hand lots of Goro, on the other hand Yakuza gunplay is often ripe.

Still, might be worth a punt as a curio.

Heyo, I've played and finished all since 3. Dead Souls ain't worth your time, gents
  • Cheers Reg.  That's a shame though, was hoping it'd be good for a laugh.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tales from the Borderlands
    Better than expected honestly so it's not bad in total. Probably helps they buried the writer of BL2 underneath a larger team so he couldn't drown the proceedings in shitty meme humour.

There was a fun momentary tonal shift when a diamond unicorn statue I shot started bleeding and everyone was horrified.

There are musical intros to each episode which were mostly fun to watch.

Handsome Jack is an entertaining villain outside of BL2.

Yeah.

This will probably be my last Telltale unless they release something that out-metacritics Breath of the Wild. 

[6] free shrugs out of [10]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    There was a fun momentary tonal shift when a diamond unicorn statue I shot started bleeding and everyone was horrified.

You shot Butt Stallion?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Did it a favour.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Beyond the fucking pale, you monstrosity.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Pullblox World (WiiU) I really liked the idea, and the gizmos allowed for some great early innovation and range of puzzles.   ... but there were only like two of them.  And they're the exact same ones as on the 3DS version.  Despite a more complex game release between the two.  So, much of the later difficulty was map navigation rather than actually really solving a puzzle.  And as the scale grew, they got more time consuming too, walking about etc., and just not in a hugely fun kind of way.  So, first half was a [9], but it fizzled down to a [6].  Overall, I'm gonna go with [7] vertices from a heptagon.

So I've now also done Pullblox (3DS), the series opener.  Very similar puzzles, slightly different feel on the smaller screen, 3D sometimes suiting it very well (but sometimes getting turned off just cos).

Thoughts basically at above - I love the puzzles, but too often they have ones that are a chore not a logic challenge.  The last set of 18 were really good though - condensed, rather than expansive murals.  And the total of 198 fricking puzzles was quite a slog overall, particularly with the languid ramp-up curve.

Still, at its heart is a great puzzler, and it's kind presented in a fun enough way.  So I'll happily go [7] again.  Arguably an [8] with a bonus mark for innovation, but I don't think I can quite.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!