Where did the fun go?
  • I was bemoaning a lack of cleavage and puzzles, that's what I need from TR.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Cleavage puzzles have been dumbed down since Leisure Suit Larry.
  • There are of course games out there that aren't dark and gritty. I'm not going to play them on my phone and I can't afford a Wii U or a 3DS. So I do find it refreshing that Minecraft has sold 8 million copies on 360.

The change of tone in Tomb Raider seems incredibly forced to me. There was no natural evlution that led us to this point.

I wish more blockbusters were rated 12 or below.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I still like new Tomb Raider more than old Tomb Raider.
  • That would be because you're wrong of course.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Try again, double D.
  • No need to, I got the correct answer first time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dante getting the correct answer? I suppose there's a first time for everything. I'm not convinced this is it, mind.
  • Because you're always wrong.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    One day you'll learn the difference between right and wrong. It will be revelatory.
  • It's more dark/gritty are common bywords for mature/serious in games, because there seems to be a lack of imagination to realise these things in other ways, and it's a bit tedious, or just unnecessary.

So, with something like TR it's questionable whether it needs to be 'serious' at all, and if it does is dark/gritty/violent the most interesting way to go about it.

That's what I thought we were on about anyway.
  • davyK wrote:
    Fun died along with the Dreamcast and all it stood for.

That brought a tear to my eye.... lovely phrase.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I loved Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, one of my favourite games of last gen.

Then they went the 'adult' route and ruined the series.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Third one was good, and not as comically adolescent as the second (which incidentally had excellent combat, and the chase sequences were incredibly well realised.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I loved Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, one of my favourite games of last gen.

'Twas a gem.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Reboot is already well forgotten. Though it was so ridiculously pretty in parts.
  • I'm surprised by the video of the collection of death sequences from the recent Tomb Raider, my first thought was how on earth did they get that past the rating board, it's not too far off AvP or Dead Space levels of violence.

It's all about the blood and they show quite a lot of it, in the wolf bite scene there are several red clouds.  But it's not in every shot, and I think more frequent or sustained levels of gore have a big impact.

Still haven't played it, it's on my backlog!

At the end of the day Grem, TR became exceptionally popular for a bunch of reasons that wouldn't allow a new TR to be anywhere near as popular now.  No matter how much you'd enjoy it playing it with your kid, it doesn't change the fact that the reasons TR was popular when it first came out would almost certainly not help it sell on the same scale now.

I like to think that those sort of family oriented exploration and adventure games are still around today, they're just not the big mainstream titles, the market has become to big for that except the odd surprise hit.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Tomb Raider is an 18 isn't it?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    World of Warcraft filled an exploration hole for a generation of teenagers. Some of my best gaming memories in 6th form were playing that.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Christ, put in the disc for Siren: Blood Curse and the idle "music" on the XMB is just a girl breathing heavily and moaning in terror with an echo effect. What have I let myself in for.
  • It's horrific, turn back now.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I spent a whole year stuck/scared of the little girl episode.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Only done the first episode, shall carry on tomorrow as it's late (copout). Seeing yourself through the Shibito's own eyes is heart stopping.
  • If you can get used to the conrols, it's a really good, creepy as hell survival horror experience. Stick with it Bolockoff, shit gets weird......trufax.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Another extension on gaming's chav palace.

Early programmers were forced to focus on micro design. The 32-bit era was likely the richest crossover point for new-wave macro and old-school micro design (3D Deathchase to WipEout via Stunt Car Racer).

The imaginative sensibilities of those raised on limitations have given way to Medusan-minded modders.
  • If you chaps are looking for a pure old school dose of gaming fun, then look no further than Toy Story 3. I originally got it to introduce my daughter to gaming but I quickly got hooked by the sheer variety of game play inside. While getting from start to finish through the story mode is perfectly possible for an eight years old, to 100 percent it and find all of the hidden areas and collectibles takes a fair amount of platforming skill.

The best part of the game is the freeroaming sandbox mode. A large sprawling western themed area contains dozens of different game types, challenges and hundreds of collectibles to trigger that obsessive compulsive gene.

The whole thing called also be played in local co-op so you and yer sprog can work together, you doing the hard bits and them the easier parts, or you can just play it yourself. Be warned - some of the challenges are as hard as nails.

I would class it a my guilty pleasure GOLY (game of last year) - you can pick it up for a tenner in Asda.
  • I believe Toy Story 3 was genuinely excellent. So good shout. It certainly seems to have informed the design of Disney Infinity, which may well be one of the best games this year.
  • I nearly bought that a couple of times, as it looked like there was more platforming to it than B&K Nuts and Bolts.  Might pick it up when I go through some of the games I missed this gen (whilst waiting for the next gen price drop).  DMC, Sly Cooper, Sleeping Dogs and Bioshock Infinite are also on the list.
  • I haven't completed the new TR yet but it does seem unneccesarily gory in a lot of parts. I don't buy TR for the gore, I buy it for the puzzles, and the sense of freedom and exploration. The puzzles have been sadly lacking since about TR3. Whoever it was who said TR is better with less combat, more puzzles has it bang on.
  • I don't think the graphic deaths are without precedent in nu TR. The second tomb raider game had a lot of horrific deaths rendered weakly because of shit hardware.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!