Retro Gaming
  • Visited Arcade Club in Bury and had a really good time. Maybe I'm just a doofus or too kind or whatever but when I purchased my ticket, the site said 11am slots (when it opens) were sold out but 3pm was fine. That was a bit late for me so I went up just before midday and explained my situation.

Dude just looked at me, said "so, you just want to come in? Of course why didn't you say???" um, because your frickin site told me so. Felt a bit silly but okay pal, stamp my hand here and let me go.

Four floors packed to the gunnels. The astro city room lined with shmups blew my mind, had some goes on Batsugun, Gunbird 2, and a few others.
    P8XGMei.jpg
    There was og Outrun, a Outrun 2 double red cab, but the crown jewel was the SP quad cab in yellow. The others had wear and tear on their wheels and didn't respond as nicely as I thought they would, and the quad cab had a couple seats that did not move at all and were set for midgets, but I smoked a random at a race then set a decent enough Goal A time solo. Pedals were also a bit fucked so not the best environment for fast times but it's just still such a joy to play anyway. The greatest.

rcQlNBO.jpeg

6sSWM6q.jpeg

AhFPuuv.jpg

Played the recent Daytona, was bloody great. Then played some rhythm thing with buttons around a circular screen. They had Let's Go Away and it used footage from the famous legendary YouTube performance, so that was class.

1Qwi5hv.jpeg

All the lightgun games were super popular. Every time I went back to Time Crisis 6 or HOTD Scarlet Dawn, they were occupied, and I didn't wanna be that guy just lingering solo as a couple try to complete it. Maybe next time. Even the older ones needed a wait before getting on. The og Time Crisis is still a belter though. I miss big balls Namco.

Played some Groove Coaster and really enjoyed it. Great little bemani thing. Played some taiko drum thing, not bad.

Witnessed a guy who knew what he was doing drop a decent run at Ikaruga. When in the right hands that game is mesmerising.

Spotted other DC greats:
    xGUeECd.jpeg

This thing was great fun, like Confidential Mission on steroids.
    HtNjlzD.jpeg

But after a while, the place started to absolutely swarm with knee height kids and i wasn't enjoying all the noise. Quick slush then done another lap, another run on Outrun 2 SP. Left it on the game over screen after the credits, gave her a tap, said "thank you", and left.

YjGUodH.jpeg
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yas lad glad you enjoyed it. Its a glorious place.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I’ve never been there, will have to check it out. There’s a bar in Stockport that has retro arcade machines, need to check that out at some point.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's my kind of travelogue
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I am fully tumescent.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Would love to get over I have to say. What is Bury near to?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Would love to get over I have to say. What is Bury near to?

Me. Yes lad. And fuck all else bar easy access to and from Manchester.
  • The circular screen rhythm thing sounds like mai mai, aka that washing machine game. Would fancy a go on that.
  • Looks an amazing place that.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Yeah it's really good it's just depending on how long you can tolerate kids, really. They only open fri/sat/sun and Friday night is adults only so if that's doable for anyone, I'd do that.

Also didn't know until I arrived I could've got a NHS discount on my ticket taking it to a tenner. Was £17 otherwise but even then, absolutely worth it. Not just for the games I enjoyed and wanted to play but the top floor alone is worth the entry fee. Many, many old old 80s/early 90s machines just lined up. Amazing to see some of them still existing.

Loved this old multi game Neo Geo machine:
    B8UWIkd.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    KOF98 no messing about
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd opt for brat free given the choice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Classic Outrun has to be a bit of an alltimer for arcades. Sega owned that space with Daytona and Rally. Bust a Move made a pile apparently. Ms.Pacman and Galaga are top tier 80s fare.
  • Nice one Gav, glad you got there. Bit of a doddle on the tram once you're on it.

Food there is ridiculously cheap and decent too. Stone baked pizza for £5 from memory and fake liquid cheese nachos for £3.

Make a good stock location.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    Make a good stock location.

Ok, we've talked about this enough, when are we doing it?
  • Now I've done the drive I'd be more than willing to get a bnb for the night on a Friday and come join.
  • We still haven’t done pints at Game Over in Glasgow yet either. I remembered that when I walked past it the other night.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If its a Manchester flight it's doable.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah straight into Manc and then taxi to Bury is like 15/20 quid or can jump on the metrolink for an hour. There's a Premier Inn not far on the outskirts of town.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On for me then.
  • How far is it from New Mills?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Like 40 minutes by car
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    How far is it from New Mills?

By public transport, 30 mins by train into Manchester then another 35-45 minutes to Bury on the tram.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'll probably stay on the boat and play my RG353M then.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Get an uber I'll pay :winkysmileyimadickheadface:
  • About 5 hours on public transport for me.
    Nope
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Found out today that if you try to open the home menu while selecting a game on the PC Engine mini, it loads the game, but just the game. For HuCard titles, it makes no difference, but if you do that with a game that's on CD, you get the "please put the CD system card into the console" error message. The fun thing is it's different for every game. 

Shut up my mum says I'm cool.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll probably stay on the boat and play my RG353M then.

Surely you can narrowboat it to Manchester whilst playing on your RG353M.

In all seriousness though if people are up for it I'll pick you up from New Mills Moot.

Wookie, you're just out of my catchment unfortunately.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tbf the canal goes all the way to Bury so he could.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!