• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    There's a Llamasoft feature in Retro Gamer this month :)

Of course there effing is!  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Final Fight 3 on the snes emu on the Vita. Nice and solid.
  • Played that last year, it's a good'un. Shame about the slowdown though.
  • Eric wrote:
    Just downloaded Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story. It's £25 but I feel given his gaming legacy it will be well worth it. Made by the Atari 50 guys.

I've spent a very pleasant evening with that. 

It's part video game compendium, part documentary - detailing the career of The Yak from his early ZX81 programming days up until Tempest on the Jaguar. (It stops there I'm afraid, so no Space Giraffe or Polybius).

There's lots of videos, interviews with the man himself, fans, critics and, yes, llamas. There's also sketches, manuals, early bits of code and pretty much anything anyone remotely interested in his stuff would find interesting. That includes games. Lots and lots of games. The early ones are, of course, almost unplayable by modern standards - but Attack of the Mutant Camels still has a certain charm - whilst there's a genuine delight in seeing how GridRunner has evolved over its many, many iterations, including a brand new one.

Most importantly, there is Llamatron, which is all I really need. I bloody love Llamatron.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Played that last year, it's a good'un. Shame about the slowdown though.

That's hilarious because it's the first time I've ever had to go into the emu menu and turn on a framerate cap. On the Vita the game loaded up and was playing like I was on speed. So weird.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Most importantly, there is Llamatron, which is all I really need. I bloody love Llamatron.

I spent a lot of time with Llamatron on the ST.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I get a lot of YouTube hits.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played Llamatron on the PC which was enjoyable.

That and Gridrunner are the two games that interest me on the Minter collection. Have T2K courtesy of Atari 50.  But I do like the idea of exploring the other games.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    So, I know that the Vita and 3DS are easily soft modded these days. What’s the equivalent in consoles? I know you can grab an Everdrive for most cartridge-basedsystems, but what’s the go to machine for jail breaking and ROMz home brew?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Wii is pretty good and can obviously play Wii/GC natively. Im not sure if you can emulate Wii games that use motion one to one elsewhere.

Series S is great for iirc anything up to PS2 gen? Maybe Comfortable PS1 and game dependant PS2 actually.
    Series X will do PS2 I think.
  • Xbox has some ROM thing doesn't it?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    With Vita there’s some website you can go on with the web browser to hack it these days. With 3DS I don’t think there’s anything that easy but there are websites that will guide you through it and there’s an app (forget what it’s called) that is like a fake eShop and lets you download everything direct on your 3DS.

I think I may have answered the wrong question?

If you want to hack a fairly recent console, best bet is probably Wii U. Has a good hacking community and it has the GC and Wii logic on there for those as well. I think messing with PS3 and 360 still has a risk of you being banned on current machines.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Forgot Wii U was hackable. Id probably go for that if you have one or a Wii if you want to pick something up cheap to tinker with.
  • thank you for the haldheld suggestions! Friend says thank you!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    So, I know that the Vita and 3DS are easily soft modded these days. What’s the equivalent in consoles? I know you can grab an Everdrive for most cartridge-basedsystems, but what’s the go to machine for jail breaking and ROMz home brew?
    Current gen Xbox has a completely legal Developer mode which lets you run your own stuff. And since it's Windows-based, there's a fair bit of stuff available. Not tried it mind. DS has that set up I think.
  • We all love a good haldheld
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Xbox has some ROM thing doesn't it?

The Oldbox was a go to for emulators for a while.
  • Also the Mini consoles are decent. The PS Mini is anyway, that was my main emulator before I went back to handhelds. £18 incredibly well spent.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Good info gents, thanks.
  • poprock wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:

I spent a lot of time with Llamatron on the ST.

Llamatron is a thing of beauty and if you hit pause at the right time when killed you can hear Jeff (I'm assuming it was Jeff) shout "Oh FUCK" without the explosion played over the "UCK"

(At least you could on the ST version)

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Picked up an issue of Retro Gamer today on whim, with a 100 best retro games feature.

So many Sega arcade games. They really are the king of coin-ops.

What I thought was odd was the lack of lightgun games from the list.

No Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, Point Blank, Duck Hunt or House of the Dead.

Right game, and version of it at number one though.
  • Tetris on Game Boy.

The NES version was definitely better, but the GB one is so much more important. It really was a system seller.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tetris on Game Boy.
    nick_md wrote:
    Fair

Definitely a reasonable shout, given the criteria.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's there with NES SMB1 for sure. GB tetris started real handheld gaming, SMB1 on NES restarted home consoles. Both still as playable as at release.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I suspect lightgun games suffer because they’re unemulable. Like I’m 36 and by the time I was working and had the disposable income to buy whatever gaming paraphernalia I wanted, CRTs were already on the way out. And I just didn’t live near an arcade as a kid. I think you would have to be a specific generation or just happened to have been gifted a lightgun or whatever to vote for that specific kind of game.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was never a genre I played much because they ate coins too quickly. I liked Shoot Away ... the Namco clay shooting sim and Operation Wolf. Only really got into light gun on the Wii.

Op Wolf is really an analogue stick game.
  • For me Op Wolf is a holding my mate's Light Phaser 2 cm from the screen game.
  • When I was a teen I lived walking distance to a service station so used to go there for KFC and the like. They had a Silent Scope cab converted to be a gambling machine.
    Turns out it was a whole thing Konami did.

It was pretty much Silent Scope from what I can remember but at the end of the level you had to shoot prizes on a spinnign wheel to cash out your score.

s-l1600.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!