Ugly Yet Beautiful
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Body Harvest on the 64 was surprisingly clever, but probably the worst looking 3D game I've seen on a "modern" 3D console.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Dwarf Fortress is one of the greatest games ever made - in my opinion - and it looks like this:

dwarf+fortress.png
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Uplink.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Dwarf Fortress is one of the greatest games ever made - in my opinion - and it looks like this: dwarf+fortress.png

What's the premise?
  • You start with a small group of dwarves who have been sent to start a colony. Through trial, error, thieving monkeys and goblin attacks - you slowly dig into the side of a mountain and start to forge a life for the wee guys. It has Roguelike elements and most of the fun comes from losing - titans smashing your fortress, dwarves killed in epic fishing battles with mighty carp, cave ins etc. But it has some wonderful moments - watching one of your dwarves having a mental breakdown, locking himself in the smithy and then producing an almighty artifact is one of gaming's finest moments.

Dwarf Fortress also has brewing, farming, trading, woodwork, army training, smelting and hunting among its many treasures.

Amazing game.
  • Yeah the sheer layers of systems in the thing are dizzying. Shame it's a such a headache to get visually comfy with. If it ever got a makeover I'd finally actually play it instead of just read about it.
  • weadre wrote:
    Geometry wars... just a bunch of ugly glowing shapes and shit, but damn is it addictive!
    Exqueeze me? Geometry Wars looks lush.

It at least looked better than Limbo, that game had no colour because of lazy artists... yet the gameplay was sublime ^^
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Troll.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    what about ZZT? I find it a pleasing looking game.

Cityzzt.png
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh, ZZT, of course. How could I forget, or even fail to have the first clue, what ZZT is?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I enjoy Yoss's early morning posts. The warm sarcasm offers a gentle start to the day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    'tis an early effort at game world making - comes with its own editor and even an object-oriented language for extending it and there was quite a community around it at one time - could still be for all I know.

Made by Tim Sweeney who went onto do the Unreal engine if I remember correctly and leads up the company that gave us Gears of War etc.

Never heard of Dwarf Fortress though - sounds the biz but probably a headache.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Tomb Raider: Legend on the 360, I can't believe that this is on the same console that gives us Forza Horizon...
  • An early game, though, and was also released on the last gen if I recall (PS2 anyway).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Tomb Raider: Legend is a last gen game that they put some extra effects in for the 360 version. It might have been on a 360 disc, but you were playing a PlayStation2 game.
  • Someone just mentioned it in another thread but Deadly Premonition looks like a dog and plays like a dog but I loved it. It's got an endearing charm and York is one of the best characters ever.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I enjoy Yoss's early morning posts. The warm sarcasm offers a gentle start to the day.

Until I've had a couple of coffees in me, I find it hard to mask my annoyance with everything and everyone that I happen to encounter.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Turok had a far better control scheme. C buttons acted like wasd on a keyboard and analog for aiming.

I loved that scheme, I'm sure you could use it on Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. As I use southpaw it was the same as a dual stick really.

That was the 'Goodnight' setting (thank you wiki). I didn't pick up an N64 until the PS2 era and it was the only way I could play Goldeneye properly. Such a fantastic game with some of the best local MP ever.
  • X-com isn't an attractive game. Dunt matter.
  • I saw people complaining about UE3 textures again and i want to put an end to this nonsense. Its fuck all to do with UE3 its the artists and the workflow. There is nothing intrinsically shitty about how UE3 does things, its the same as anything else, people just have to stick a normal, specular, diffuse and whatever else map for every model in the game inside current gen consoles with their godawful video ram limits. Lack of ambition maybe and an unwillingless to break from tried and tested art production is what causes this ugliness, and thats feck all to do with 'UE3 textures'

If you compress and lower the resolution enough of the 3 or 4 textures (maybe more) that get applied to every asset in a game with thousands of assets and its going to look lame on a system with no video memory. Case in point, look at UE3 games on pc, theyre pristine.

Sorry, needed to rant. I cant see all this being an issue in next gen consoles (This is exciting). It never really was an issue for pcs (for obvious reasons)
  • I like X-Com, but it does suffer from 'UE3 texture syndrome'.  And if we're agreeing that UE3 syndrome doesn't exist that's all fine and dandy, but at times it does look like a dog of a game.  Maybe it is developer laziness, but I do hope we can consign this engine to the bin come the next gen. Along with feckin Gamebyro and any other aged toss you care to mention really.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I didn't mean to blame UE3 when I mentioned Gears, if that's how it came across. Gears 3 looks fantastic. As does Bioshock Infinite (that's UE3, right?). I guess it has just become kinda fashionable to blame the engine because so many (console) games that use it look like dog shit.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    I like X-Com, but it does suffer from 'UE3 texture syndrome'.  And if we're agreeing that UE3 syndrome doesn't exist that's all fine and dandy, but at times it does look like a dog of a game.  Maybe it is developer laziness, but I do hope we can consign this engine to the bin come the next gen. Along with feckin Gamebyro and any other aged toss you care to mention really.

the engines fine! although yes its going in the bin, unreal engine 4 is available, the problem is hardware limits and developers paying no attention to them. that kinda crappy lumpen waxy look you  get from unreal games is the various maps being compressed and their resolution lowered until their actual function becomes almost meaningless, there's just not enough ram to fit all the textures in at a nice resolution. the reason you get that in unreal games is because people who use the engine are used to working that way and want to use all the features it provides, even if theyre actually detrimental

there's not one reason on earth unreal engine 3 couldnt make something like Journey, its just a problem with the guys delegating priorities with art design
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    UE3?

Dunno... I've never used it (obviously... it costs a squillion quid to publish in), but there are a few studios who have now made than one game in it, and I'm sure they'd also like to avoid this "waxwork" model criticism... So fuck knows.

Anyway... I've only come in here to rim Starfox on the Snes. 

Even back then, we all knew it looked crap (Virtua Racing had been out for years at the time Starfox was released), but it filled in those visual gaps with a lot of very clever ideas...

Like Yoshi's Island, I see it as one of the most inventive games ever made (for it's writing strangely enough... Think about it...), and it's a personal favourite (I still play it, and although it looks shit, as a game, I don't think it's aged much at all... Though it would be nice if it was a little faster). But unlike Yoshi's Island, I find it hard to put into a top 10, because you have to be a "hardcore" gamer to enjoy it on any (qualitative) level...

Similarly, baare' people spuff loads over Elite... 
    But I was never middle class, and no-one's attempted a decent remake. : P
  • I always preferred Frontier.
  • Aw, c'mon D.Ready, Starfox looked great! One of my most played games back then. (Which isn't saying much to be honest because even back then as a teenager with all the time on my hands, I hardly replayed any games. Just tried playing as many games as I could. )
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Stunt Race FX looks horrendous these days and dodge at the time (but given credit for 3D-ness, obv). But was fun to play.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That game was sick (Starfox), and the music was especially good, but it was no looker, I'm calling it. : P

Allegedly, Miyamoto found inspiration for the game here...

22378-fushimi-inari-shrine-kyoto.jpg

Please excuse the hotlink...

Somewhat reminiscent of the pillar sections of the Venom level on route "A", no?
    It's the entrance to the shrine of some random Japanese fox god (hmm...).

Southwestern.

Seemed like Miyamoto used to go there on lunch breaks, or something...

Wikipedia wrote:
    Star Fox (スターフォックス Sutā Fokkusu?) is a video game series developed and published by Nintendo. The original game was a forward-scrolling 3D Sci-Fi rail shooter. Later sequels added more directional freedom as the series progressed. The game concept was inspired by a shrine to a fox god who could fly, which Shigeru Miyamoto visited regularly. The shrine was accessible through a series of arches, thus inspiring the gameplay.

So there you go...

Man... Wtf am I stuck in London all the fucking time? I'd love to see shit like that...
  • You and me, Dready. Lets go. 3 month Jap ultimate road trip vacation holiday canon out type thing. 

(Not really, wife won't have any of it)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Lol! A B&B Japanese road trip would be mental! Almost inexplicably, the Neo Empire massiv' did the trip annually... One week in the low season would work just fine... 

J-Stock.

Brooks will put us up. We can all sleep in the wine cellar*. 

*So long as he clears out the booze, he could probably accommodate every regular poster, our pets, road going conquests and significant others...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!