Ugly Yet Beautiful
  • Turok had a far better control scheme. C buttons acted like wasd on a keyboard and analog for aiming.

I loved that scheme, I'm sure you could use it on Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. As I use southpaw it was the same as a dual stick really.

• weadre wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Plan M wrote:
    I thought Goldeneye looked great at the time!
    It looked rubbish and played rubbish too. Sorry to everyone who somehow put in the, presumed, many, many hours required to learn how to control an FPS using a single analogue stick, but it was a terrible idea which should probably never have been released into the world.

There was an option to play it with 2 control pads at once, giving you 2 analogue sticks.

Think it was the forst FPS i played so the one stick never seemed unnatural. I doubt I could go back to it now though.

Yes and this leads to wrs actually :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Too be honest most versions of Tetris are fucking hideous.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I've only ever played Tetris on the Gameboy.  Trufax.
  • 'twas ugly on that too
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Where's Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Tetris?
  • Geometry wars... just a bunch of ugly glowing shapes and shit, but damn is it addictive!
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • mk64 wrote:
    'twas ugly on that too

Aye it was!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Turok had a far better control scheme. C buttons acted like wasd on a keyboard and analog for aiming.

I loved that scheme, I'm sure you could use it on Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. As I use southpaw it was the same as a dual stick really.

That's how Quake III on DC did the pad controls. As someone who favours the godly right hand over the satanic left, I found it quite unnatural.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Geometry wars... just a bunch of ugly glowing shapes and shit, but damn is it addictive!

GW looks great. Hush your mouth.
  • Geometry Wars, ugly? It's fucking beautiful.

Bishi Bashi fans, what's the game with the Afro's called? My PS3 is currently in a box, so I can't load it up to find out without a load of hassle.
  • Geometry wars... just a bunch of ugly glowing shapes and shit, but damn is it addictive!

Exqueeze me? Geometry Wars looks lush.
  • TDU. Great game, massive ambition, but even at the start of this gen it looked a bit below par.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Turok had a far better control scheme. C buttons acted like wasd on a keyboard and analog for aiming.

That's how Quake III on DC did the pad controls. As someone who favours the godly right hand over the satanic left, I found it quite unnatural.

Left handedness is the future!! You heard it here!!

Im only left handed whilst playing games, I have no idea why. I've actually always blamed it on Turok as my left would sit on the stick side, right on the C-buttons.
  • Doom. Ugly as sin. I still don't know how it even took off.

• Because looks aren't everything
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bishi Bashi fans, what's the game with the Afro's called? My PS3 is currently in a box, so I can't load it up to find out without a load of hassle.

Perm Mania
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I thought and think Doom looked pretty fly. The spritework alone.
  • weadre wrote:
    Geometry wars... just a bunch of ugly glowing shapes and shit, but damn is it addictive!
    Exqueeze me? Geometry Wars looks lush.

+1. It's gorgeous.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I_R wrote:
    TDU. Great game, massive ambition, but even at the start of this gen it looked a bit below par.

It wasn't particularly pretty. Ugly might be a tad too far though. I did enjoy the game and spent a lot of time on it.
  • I remember Doom looking great at the time. It's looks like shit now obviously.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    VVVVVV.

you see - that's an example of a game I actually like the look of. I'm a fan of stripped down ageless visuals and clean design.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    VVVVVV.
    you see - that's an example of a game I actually like the look of. I'm a fan of stripped down ageless visuals and clean design.

Yeah, I don't think you can really hate on the visuals as it looks exactly like it's supposed to. The problem with most of the games mentioned (early 3D is a big offender) is that they were aiming too high for the technology they were made with.

If a game is fairly stylised, then it lives in it's own world which makes sense to itself. I find the problem arises looking back at older games that were aiming for realism. They may have impressed at the time but compared to today's tech, the flaws become way more visible.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I remember Doom looking great at the time.

It was a graphical sensation in '93! The shotgun's lighting was and is remarkable.

As a quick-and-dirty HDified Tekken 5, the PS3's Dark Resurrection was considered a T6-delaying interim release. Unlike those who couldn't wait for the next full-fat outing, though, I think it's the most beautiful in the series to date.

It's pixellated and sharp, with a matching swiftness of movement. The zoomed-out camera respects a clutch of great backgrounds.

Alas, not that one.
  • Iss2000 looks ugly now but is still the most playable football game to date imo.

Also sensi looked a but shit but played like a dream.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I thought and think Doom looked pretty fly. The spritework alone.

Yeah Doom still looks fantastic to me. Love it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • mk64 wrote:
    Iss2000 looks ugly now but is still the most playable football game to date imo.

Also sensi looked a but shit but played like a dream.

Both good shouts.
  • I always thought the Mortal Kombat looked ugly. Probably a lame example because they played ugly too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!