The Evil Within
  • I fucking loved The Evil Within. Some top monster design. Loved the fucked up gore and general unofficial sequel to 4 vibe. The story was a lot more interesting than anything in Resident Evil and the game was scarier than almost anything in that series. Loved the Keeper.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • found this for £15, apparently with DLC codes. thought it was worth a punt...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Where?
  • it's floating around ebay atm between £15-20. 

at least it's not a heap of money if it doesn't have dlc codes.
  • I paid 30 and regret it big time. Played the first two chapters but may never carry on.
  • I really enjoyed it, part way through second play through but got loads to be getting on with.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It has a few very nasty difficulty spikes but overall it's ok. It's basically just Resident Evil reskinned and ubergored.
  • I paid 30 and regret it big time. Played the first two chapters but may never carry on.

uh-oh...
  • Kow wrote:
    It has a few very nasty difficulty spikes but overall it's ok. It's basically just Resident Evil reskinned and ubergored.

This.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Smang wrote:
    I paid 30 and regret it big time. Played the first two chapters but may never carry on.
    uh-oh...

I had a mate over who was very disparaging as I tried to play it. I hate it when people are telling you the thing you're trying to get excited about, having bought, is shit. I don't mind that at all on the internet but when they're right there in the room it's kind of why should I bother then.

The game may be excellent for all I know : )
  • I keep trying to go back to it but I got screwed over by the autosave. I've had to replay a chunk including a really annoying section with that spider cunt, so I keep rage quitting. Was quite enjoying it up to that point, the annoying parts are mega irritating though.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I watched my brother play most of it, looked completely average. There seemed to be quite a few ridiculous insta death parts.
  • Feel bad now, GF bought this a month ago and I did a full Nicks mate to it during the couple of hours we played. Didn't click with me at all (so all in all, your mate was probably right Nick).
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
    uh-oh...
    I had a mate over who was very disparaging as I tried to play it. I hate it when people are telling you the thing you're trying to get excited about, having bought, is shit. I don't mind that at all on the internet but when they're right there in the room it's kind of why should I bother then. The game may be excellent for all I know : )

it was this guy, speak up @trainee1985

Edit: don't feel bad Pez, there's a lot of other things that need attention than to have to feel like you should play through something average because you like the creator's heritage.
  • if i hate it i imagine i'll be able to get back mah muneh.
  • I think Evil Within did horror and tension a lot better than Alien Isolation, some of it suggesting a difficulty or danger that wasn't actually there. I particularly loved the Mansion bit where you had to hide in closets and under beds.

"Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Alien Isolation I still liked a lot but when there is a very large problem with the difficulty somehow trying to double as horror. There is nothing scary about dying fifty times on a particular section. It is irritating and reduces the fear of those first couple of times to simply a mechanical thing and the Alien to a patroling Metal Gear Solid guard. The Evil Within nailed the thrill of anticipating that level of challenge without actually demanding a hundred deaths. The ending is a good example of this.
  • the comparison with the Alien and an MGS guard patrol is a bit off, one is set on a fixed route and timings, one is completely random and runs off an unscripted AI, doing what it wants. they do both pull you out of lockers you hide in though...

the fear in A:I comes from the world and its atmosphere, and not knowing where the alien is, and what will it do when it does appear. i guess it's more tension than fear, but after 3 play-throughs it didn't wear of for me personally. i really felt like it was something to be outwitted, especially on harder difficulties.
  • The atmosphere is top notch but the random AI business still results in the same outcomes again and again, which is being swiftly killed in a locker, under a desk or walking under a vent. The Alien patroling the corridors, even if it is patroling them differently than the previous go, reduces what should be a complex and terrifying thing into simply representing a fail state. The feeling of barely getting through a section the first time is preferable to finally getting it right a dozen goes on.
  • i dunno, to me it's like hotline miami/trials in that sense. how else do you represent the situation presented in Alien?

that said, if you're getting grabbed out of lockers and under desks, you're probably making too much noise and getting seen. pretty sure i've sat in a locker for about 15 minutes in this game... also 'kill' vents usually ooze slime so you can avoid them.

also once i'd learned the locations of those control boxes and some other intricacies of the aliens behaviour, like it's fear of fire - it's quite feasible to get through most of the game without getting eaten. i've had some insane cat and mouse moments, completely unscripted.
  • I really should play that game more.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Trials? Agreed bro.
  • I played an hour, while the game seems ok (or rather too early to judge) i am baffled by the super widescreen borders and the frame rate. especially the borders. also a distinct lack of knowing what i'm supposed to be doing, haha.

+1 for Debora Morgan though.
  • Not really feeling The Assignment much.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Now this is very strange: 8 months on and Tango have released an update that removes the wide-screen 'cinematic' borders.  0_o

Typical that i'd recently deleted it off my HDD (all 60GB of it). I'm curious to see if they've messed with the FOV or whether its a true engine upgrade.
  • really? i didn't get too far before getting annoyed, and that was one of the things that did annoy... might load it up later and see.
  • borders can now be turned off, and it seems to run a bit smoother? 

find it much more comfortable to play with the borders gone, like i can actually see around the character.

but it doesn't help the fact i'm stuck at some part where a dude shows up, touches me and i explode with no clue how to go about moving on... i want to like this game but it's making it hard.
  • Smang wrote:
    borders can now be turned off, and it seems to run a bit smoother? 

find it much more comfortable to play with the borders gone, like i can actually see around the character.

but it doesn't help the fact i'm stuck at some part where a dude shows up, touches me and i explode with no clue how to go about moving on... i want to like this game but it's making it hard.
    Spoiler:
  • i did try running, but there don't appear to be many places to go :( 

i'm in a room with only one entrance/exit when he appears. it's almost annoying as that "safe-head" section that i did eventually figure out. insta-death into loading screen is not good though.

thanks for the tip! was gonna youtube it tbh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!