The Evil Within
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Eurogamer a no show.
    This is because they weren't sent a copy by Bethesda PR, because they gave a less than glowing review to Wolfenstein. The same happened to Videogamer, but they went out and bought an early copy from a local indie.
    Do you guys consider Eurogamer as the resource for good reviews? Just wondered, cos they didn't have a clue when it came to the Driveclub review.

They're normally reliable.. I like to think they throw some click bait in now and again. It's just there one of the biggest (Imho) sites so I thought it was odd they led with pixcat review!
    The Forum Herald™
  • They gave Drive Club to an Outside Xbot presenter to review.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe some people just don't like Drive Club.
  • Kow wrote:
    Maybe most people just don't like Drive Club.

@Curtis, did I miss the point it tells you the keys are hidden in those statues? I've missed loads as I had no idea and simply thought they signified somewhere you were reasonably safe. Fuck.
  • Kow wrote:
    Maybe some people just don't like Drive Club.

Well that's believable cos some people don't like driving or clubs. I prefer a breakaway myself.

Web_Breakaway-18-pck.jpg
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nooo! I'm a Club (minty) man myself.

As for DC, yeah I get a lot of reviewers didn't like it. Just felt the EG review was a bit light on content. Perhaps it's their style, I tend not to follow particular sites when reading reviews, just do a Google and see what comes up.
  • I don't think he'd spent very long playing it or had just come off the back of playing FH2 and was comparing apples and oranges.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Fuck Eurogamer. And fuck Driveclub. Quit derailing the thread, peons.
  • Anyway, Driveclub.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    @Curtis, did I miss the point it tells you the keys are hidden in those statues? I've missed loads as I had no idea and simply thought they signified somewhere you were reasonably safe. Fuck.

Nah, it doesn't tell you. I figured it out after the second one i found. Plus they're almost identical to the golden statues in RE6(?), so i knew to shoot them.

I have maybe 10 lockers open so far. They're called lockers in the achievement description, but they look like morgue freezers to me.
  • Calm down dear.

So looking forward to picking this up!
    The Forum Herald™
  • So it's good or not?

Resi 1 played in a garden shed in the country at night time was fucking terrifying. PT is mortifyingly quease-inducing. And Silent Hill 2 was psychologically rattling and scary. Games can be scary, not sure about this one though.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Its not scary. Or even that tense. Maybe I'm immune.
  • It looks more like it's aiming for disgusting and gross than scary. Although that mutated spider woman thing in the trailers might give me nightmares a bit.
  • Are there quiet, exploratory moments in this? Or is it mainly action based?

I need foreboding in my survival horror games, there needs to be quiet moments for the dread to build
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I'm only half-way in, and its certainly ramped up compared to the early chapters, but its still far from a full blown 'action' game.

So yeah, plenty of creeping about, searching every nook & cranny for goodies, biding your time, then freaking out and wasting ammo when you get mobbed. lol!

Its exactly how you expect a Resident Evil re-skin to play.
  • Is there a trick to the invisible guys? Aside from watching the environment for clues,always end up using a few more bullets than I'd like.
  • This all sounds rather splendid. A certain purchase once I've completed and recovered from Alien
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Is there a trick to the invisible guys? Aside from watching the environment for clues,always end up using a few more bullets than I'd like.

I wouldn't worry about your ammo too much, its pretty generous early on. Just shotgun blindly at head height to expose them. Worked for me.

I spoke too soon about the lack of tension - I just met the poster boy: Safe Head. That was a really good scenario. Had my heart racing, and a big "phew" when I'd done it.

Great game. And only half way through.
  • Curtis wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Is there a trick to the invisible guys? Aside from watching the environment for clues,always end up using a few more bullets than I'd like.

I wouldn't worry about your ammo too much, its pretty generous early on. Just shotgun blindly at head height to expose them. Worked for me.

I spoke too soon about the lack of tension - I just met the poster boy: Safe Head. That was a really good scenario. Had my heart racing, and a big "phew" when I'd done it.

Great game. And only half way through.

Yeah that's the tactic I been going with just thought Id check as sometimes there's some trick.

Loving it and can't wait to start my second playthrough already.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Its running down the Resident Evil checklist, but its doing it with some style.
    Spoiler:
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    And...done! Its completely and utterly ludicrous, but still a great game nonetheless.

If someone took a hatchet to it, there's a fantastic 9-10 hours of game hidden under the weight of far too many silly design decisions, incl. old favourites like trial & error and insta-death sections. None of it really pissed me off, just disappointed me when compared to all the good stuff it has to offer.

End of the day it was never going to hold a candle to RE4, but nothing ever will. I'd put it on par with RE5 & 6 which I know a lot of you hated, but I personally enjoyed them, so take that into account when reading this post. lol! tongue.png
    Anyone already playing it - stick with it - the good far outweighs the bad, trust me.  wink.png

Here are my stats:

B0KwLrKIYAAI82y.jpg

I'd say the vast majority of those deaths were unavoidable due to the aforementioned design choices.
    I can't wait to start my second run where i can just relax, know what to expect, and have fun with my new toys.  happy.png
  • Good to hear. There is a lot of shit in 5 and 6, but they have genuinely brilliant cores - people expecting 4 are rightly disappointed, but that doesn't mean there isn't a kernel of integrity within. 

Nice reversible cover...

B0LHijzIAAAxWVC.jpg:large
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Mikami seems to love his instant death pitfalls. Paula chasing you to plant a death kiss in Shadows was genuinely more terrifying than anything in a recent Resi.
  • Really? I found it to be horrific only in design.
  • I had little interest in this lately but seeing that reversible cover suddenly makes me want to run out and grab a copy! Just think it would look wonderful on my shelf
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Shit, now I have to play this.  Only just getting terrified in A:I.  Tempu is all talk.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Picked this up today. Played the first two chapters. Really enjoyed it so far.

I wouldnt have said it was particularly scary but it is certininly quite tense. I also really liked the slightly open nature of the environment and combat in the second chapter. Although I am finding the traps ridiculously difficult to spot.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I'm up to Chapter 10 on NG+. Only 2 deaths so far. Knowing what to expect helps no-end with the silly insta-fail stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!