Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I got a PS2 to play RType Final and Gradius V

They are both still worth the effort.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What's the best way to play Gradius V now? I think I've got a PS2 in the loft somewhere, but is emulation accurate enough for that gen?

@retroking1981 do you remember if my PS2 went in with the Chillout games stuff?
  • Gradius V is one game I'd like to go back to, never owned it but played it a reasonable amount; hard as nails, harder than Ikaruga and the bullet hell games I've played, mostly due to the way you lose your power ups on death, movement speed being the key loss. I've never liked that about gradius/parodius even though I love the games (the latter especially, just such a fun title).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    What's the best way to play Gradius V now? I think I've got a PS2 in the loft somewhere, but is emulation accurate enough for that gen? @retroking1981 do you remember if my PS2 went in with the Chillout games stuff?

I tried it on an emulator a while back - I was able to get some stuff to run (Burnout 2 goodness was the main reason) but I couldnt get Gradius V to start. That was a good while back though. Its an awesome game. I'd love to see a version on steam or gamepass
    SFV - reddave360
  • Gradius V is available on the PS3 as one of the rare PS2 Classics.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Gradius V is one game I'd like to go back to, never owned it but played it a reasonable amount; hard as nails, harder than Ikaruga and the bullet hell games I've played, mostly due to the way you lose your power ups on death, movement speed being the key loss. I've never liked that about gradius/parodius even though I love the games (the latter especially, just such a fun title).

It's rock hard. It kind of put me off a bit at first - video game equivalent of a beautiful dominatrix.

There's an option (think its called Salamander settings) that leave your options on screen for a short time after a life loss - this addresses the life loss = end of run issue that Gradius games suffer from.

I could be wrong but I don't remember the default movement speed being as useless as in earlier games. I'd need to go back to it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As for RType Final... once you start unlocking all those ships and remotes the score attack mode really opens up as it's delightful to experiement with.

I find it hard to believe that the game testers ran every level with every combination - it's head spinning.

A lot of people don't like the funereal pace of it but I love it.

As for display options. I have tried it with component but I still prefer it with RGB and SCART - it depends on the game though. Some have 240p options - think SFA anthology has that - then a TV is optimal.  Wouldn't mind finding a CRT with component support though. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My other PS2 highlights that I ended up playing after getting the console:

Amplitude & Frequency - 2 splendid rhythm action games - accessible because they don't require extra plastic.

Taito Legends 1 & 2 - two classy compilation packs with proper 60Hz treatment. (Pity there's no TATE though for the vertical games - though the PS2's resolution means there's no scaling compromises).

Sky Odyssey - lovely old arcadey flight sim with different planes and a Pilotwings style mission structure. Foggy nowadays but still charming.

If emulation is possible then the massive JP library heaves into view. Cave shooters, Sega Ages collections and who knows how much bonkers weirdness no-one in the West has heard about.
  • Big shout outs to Amplitude & Frequency. Top games, them. Pleased to see Harmonix's new game is a return to the "no extra plastic" rhythm action space.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Was amplitude the fireworks game?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can't be bothered to Google.
  • No that's Fantavision.

Amplitude and Frequency were the GH precursors
  • I played through SOS: Final Escape and The Thing last year and enjoyed both greatly. Both have old and stiff controls but tons of atmosphere and especially SOS felt so fresh with the unique setting and no guns. Been on the lookout for the sequel Raw Danger for ages but I'm pretty sure it didn't get an UK release and haven't been able to find a euro copy with both a decent price and decent shipping from Italy/France/Spain.

Ace Combats are still amazing and look great. Preferred 4 to 5 for IMO better story but both are great fun.

Mr Moskeeto was fun for a while but gave me motion sickness. :(

PS2 (and PS1) both have amazing libraries full of unique games that don't really get released anymore. Still find new games I've never heard of that I want to try someday.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember liking Fantavision but I knew I didn't spend anywhere near enough time with it. It felt a bit manic for my tastes re puzzle games. I remember thinking it would make for a great mouse controlled game.
  • Gradius V is available on the PS3 as one of the rare PS2 Classics.

Only £7.99 too, looks to be the way forward. Just need to borrow the PS3 back off my nephew.

And then presumably bounce off it immediately if it's harder than Ikaruga.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are more than the usual number of difficulty levels - so it can be dialled back but even then it's still no pushover.
  • Gonna watch a 1cc now I think.
  • Wow, a 2 loop 1cc is 1hr45m
  • I completed the first gradius last year but it would have been impossible without save states. Even infinite lives wouldn’t have helped because it kicks you back to the start of the section and, as Nick says, strips you back to your first weapon. Tough as old boots.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You can actually be clever with the early Gradius games because the game rank drops like a stone with power down; there can be some really tricky sections later on that are better to play through with no power ups.

It's why the ! symbol is on the power meter in later entries and the Parodius games. Selecting that takes all your powerups away and the rank tanks.  It's also a hazard to avoid if you pick up a roulette power up but it can be selected as a tactic instead.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hmmmm... Checked out Gradius V briefly last night.

I was waffling about Salamander settings earlier - bunkum. The game leaves the options on screen after a life loss - that's burned into the game. There is an option to toggle restart points - maybe I got confused with that.

It has very easy and easy levels below normal. It's a tough game even at the lowest level though.

Default movement speed isn't bad at all - nowhere near as bad as the older games - you at least have a chance after a life loss as long as you get your options back.

But this game is relentless - you barely have time to breath after one tough section before you are thrown into another. I had forgotten just how in your face it is right from the start.
  • zonipoi wrote:
    I played through SOS: Final Escape and The Thing last year and enjoyed both greatly. Both have old and stiff controls but tons of atmosphere and especially SOS felt so fresh with the unique setting and no guns. Been on the lookout for the sequel Raw Danger for ages but I'm pretty sure it didn't get an UK release and haven't been able to find a euro copy with both a decent price and decent shipping from Italy/France/Spain. Ace Combats are still amazing and look great. Preferred 4 to 5 for IMO better story but both are great fun. Mr Moskeeto was fun for a while but gave me motion sickness. :( PS2 (and PS1) both have amazing libraries full of unique games that don't really get released anymore. Still find new games I've never heard of that I want to try someday.
    Ah, The Thing. Now there's a game I always meant to play but never got round to. The trust mechanics sounded like an interesting spin on a well worn formula.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!