Playstation 2 retro revival
  • Ace Combat
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I remember really enjoying Extreme G3 but I've no idea how it'd stand the test of time. 
    Also,True Crime:Streets of L.A. Might not have been everybody's cuppa but I liked it and all it's flaws. 
    There was also NFS Underground which I'm not exactly recommending but for some reason I couldn't tear myself away!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • oh man, Rogue Galaxy is ace. I'm a little jealous reg.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It was a slimline for £8 and a mermy card. I wuz well chuffed. A woman was selling a pink slimline today too. It was quite cool.
  • Would love Raiden III, too pricey for me though.

Just noticed that Skerret mentioned Gungrave, great shout that, loved it back in the day.  Might give it a blast later though I'm a little wary of how well that control system has held up.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Cor The Social Animal.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    It's not a proper retro thread until davyk turns up.

I'm on page 2.....in like Flynn.

Would love Raiden III, too pricey for me though..

US version of Raiden III is cheap - its the PAL version that is rare.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Dipped into most games today, still have Silent Hill 2 DC (although have finished SH2 before), Beyond Good and Evil, MGS2 and a whole heap of FF games to try out. One that's hooked me most so far has been persona 3 fes

Lots of nice recommendations here, sure. Support the yakuza votes especially. But, but, but, Persona 4 is fucking sexy as! 3 (inc. Fes) is nice but, knowing you, I think 4 is gonna blow your mind.

• Scotswahey wrote:
    Nobody said Katamari yet. I never played it but remember everyone harped on about it back in the day.

HEY! It's the very first game I listed :P

It's also the only PAL Katamari we got on PS2 so it'll have to do.

A couple more suggestions:
    Twisted Metal Black (despite the missing content from the scrapyard level and asylum patient cutscenes)
    Lucifer's Call (aka Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne)
    Metal Gear Solid 2 (hardly obscure, but it has aged well and its social commentary is frighteningly more relevant in this media saturation age)
    A Train 6 was apparently quite good but I never got a chance to play it
    Pacific Theatre of Operations IV (same deal, missed this too despite the raving recommendations of an acquaintance)
    Yakuza 1 and 2
    Wipeout Pulse got a PS2 disc release
    Disney's Kim Possible (don't laugh, solid 2D action platforming)
    Steambot Chronicles
    Cold Winter is a really good FPS. Sold rubbish, plays better than killzone/resistance. 
    Bombastic (I think this is a spinoff of Devil Dice?)
    Blood Will Tell (aka Dororo, an anime based action game from Sega where some dude is trying to reclaim his limbs, which are all weapons at the start of the game).
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    Star Wars Battlefront 2 which is the best one of the two. I know last year when my PS3 went tits up, online still worked and had a few people playing it. Its a great game but you may be able to get it cheaper on steam, but then it doesnt officially support controllers.

Either way it is an excellent co op game offline
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I need Steambot Chronicles then.  It's one of those games I was aware of a few years ago when I was rebuilding my PS2 collection but somehow never got around to seeking out.  If someone wants to sell me a pristine complete copy gimme a shout, otherwise I'll head back into ebayland.
    Get schwifty.
  • Here's a shout:

kill.switch
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Odd Jap titles that didn't get love in the west?

dunno if it got much love, but Extermination! Swery product that is basically the thing + resident evil + japan.

did anyone say okami and killer 7 yet?

oh and Sniper 2. 

*runs*
  • I said Okami, would've said Killer 7 too, but I played that on Gamecube and so usually skips my mind when talking of PS2 games.

Viewtiful Joe was GC too for me (it was initiall GC exclusive anyway).
  • oh shit shadow of memories. weirdest shit i ever played, Raiden's debut!

* sorry elf i was kinda skim reading and just saw the "odd japanese games" bit.

also the Transformers Armada game on ps2 is probably the best TF game we've ever had.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've grabbed PCSX2 and Ico, Silent Hill 2.

Will go through this thread for advice, looking forward to SH2. Runs at a solid 50fps on my laptop.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Freakout...

Freakout is a crazy, crazy novelty... Well worth getting hold of. That game would have been a classic, but everything outside the boss encounters was a mess...
    A hardcore gamer's game for sure...

Utterly charming in patches... The stretchy-stretchy mechanic and the sound are it's biggest wins...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I keep seeing recs for a Sly Cooper game.

Yay?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think we should follow Gonzo's lead and see who can come with the best rare/valuable game + high-brow book on a shelf combo..
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I keep seeing recs for a Sly Cooper game. Yay?

I loved the first one - a straightforward stealth platformer.  I even collected all the hidden stuff, which is something I generally don't bother with.

I haven't played any since but I've been eyeing up the PS3 one.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ah shit my laptop is shit at PS2 emulation. Drops to 30fps now regularly.

Screw this.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I keep seeing recs for a Sly Cooper game. Yay?

I loved the first one - a straightforward stealth platformer.  I even collected all the hidden stuff, which is something I generally don't bother with.

I haven't played any since but I've been eyeing up the PS3 one.

Just play 2 or 3, they both rated better
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So PlayStation 2 is somehow 20 years old and perhaps my favourite console of all
    Time ... I lived on my own I played all the time and it seemed like classic games where dropping every day so what’s your favourite ps2 classics?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Favourite classics?

The Canterbury Tales, without doubt. You? I bet it’s Chaucer isn’t it? Something by Chaucer.
  • Whenever I think of the PS2 the first game i think of it MGS2.

The hype for that game was real, it might not have lived up to it but it was still decent.

Contra Shattered Soldier was an unbelievable update that came just before the 2D revival and seemed to pass by unappreciated.

The last Track & Field and Tiger Woods 04 were big multiplayer regulars, along with a few PES entries.

This is what I put in the Top Ten Ahoy thread:

PS2:
    1. Contra: Shattered Soldier
    2. Shadows of the Colossus
    3. God of War
    4. Ico
    5. Tiger Woods 2004
    6. Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
    7. Gradius V
    8. Sly Racoon
    9. Metal Gear Solid 3
    10. Stuntman
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Not sure if these would float your boat but metal arms was very good although I think I played that on xbox and psi ops was an excellent game as well. Gregory horror show was another quirky game worth a look and burnout 2 is essential. If you can get it, outrun 2006 as well.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I’d argue GT4 was the last great GT and pinnacle of the series
    The Forum Herald™
  • PS2 had a huge library of greats. If I’m thinking of just exclusives, then:

ICO
    Okami
    Final Fantasy XII
    Shadow of the Colossus
    MGS2&3. Specially 3. That’s an all timer.
    Dragon Quest VIII
    God Hand
    Devil May Cry 3
    Castlevania Lament of Innocence
    Gradius V
    Silent Hill 2
    Guitar Hero
    Persona 4
    Final Fantasy X

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!