Wtf Are You Playing? - The Classification Thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You can level up your plants, I'm going with RPG.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Someone on here once suggested changing "RPG" to "Numberwanger". I'm still for that.
  • PvZ is surely a survival horror.
  • No, it's a SHOOT em up. Come on, that's gold right there.
  • i've kind of skimmed over the last couple of pages, so sorry if this has been said, but maybe we just need some new broader classifications?  i can see why DR is calling some games RPGs because of similarities in design borrowed from what we'd call an RPG traditionally, but there's also a lot in something like batman (as an example) that doesn't fit an RPG template.

{false edit - i'm suffering a bit of man flu so the following may be a bit mental}
    maybe we should call games things like:
    grinder -where you have you have to work to improve your character
    grow-er - where the character develops in a pre-determined manner in a linear manner as story requires
    fetcher - need to acquire certain things in order to progress
    something that means your character has all the skills he needs from the off

linear - the game follows a strict path
    wanderer - go where you want, do what you want, when you want
    babbling brook - you don't have to follow exactly the same path as everyone, but you'll end up in the same sea.

i think that clears everything up! :)
    Batman Arkham City is now a 'grinder - wanderer - brawling game'
    zelda is a 'fetcher babbling brook hero elf game'
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    ram.......whats bioshock then?
    and portal?
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • portal is a linear grower puzzley thing
    bioshock is over rated!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    ram.......whats bioshock then? and portal?

Portal is a puzzle game first and foremost. It just so happens to be played from a first person perspective, and has a gun of some sort in it. If the game was in 2D, the challenge to the player would change a fair amount, yes, but you'd still recognise a 2D version of the game, as Portal. 

I don't see Portal as "RPG", because the player is (usually) free to devise their own solutions to each puzzle.
    You're very rarely made to search for a "key" to unlock stuff.

As for Bioshock, I can't call it, because I haven't played it enough, but from what I've seen, played, and read, it sounds more like a shooter...

I'd want to compare it to Metroid Prime to qualify that though... Prime is definitely an "RPG"...

...bioshock is over rated!

Lol!
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Prime is not an RPG.  it's a 'fetcher babbling brook spacey shooter'...or zelda in space with guns.
  • Prime is definitely not an RPG. It shares almost fuck all with the games most people would consider to be RPGs. 

Not that it matters.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Not that it matters.

Ahaha, the Tempy Defence
  • Yep. Before I get asked what genre I think it belongs to!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • People who say Bioshock is overrated need to eat some bags of dicks because they are clearly mad.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bioshock was great, but I can't muster the enthusiasm to play more than five minutes of Bioshock 2. Why is that?
  • Becuase you hate joy
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Not that it matters.

I think it's interesting... I'm mean, Miyamoto once went on record as defining Zelda as an RPG. 
    Maybe it was a misguided slip... 

Vast section of the interwebs' still speng over that...

I'm just exploring an idea here. Not defining canon (hmm... when did I last write that, eh?).
    Games which require you to put your avatar into an irreversible and quantifiable state, in order to win or compete...

I use the term RPG, because that whole statistical management crap maps well to the idea of a maintaining a quantifiable player state, and Metroid (and Zelda, and yes... Final Fantasy) sits quite well within this nebulous class... But Mario 64, for example doesn't (you do not have to permanently alter your avatar... But the star collection mechanic messes with the idea a little).

So no one agrees with me...

Ho hum...

Like, that'll be the first time, innit?  ¬_¬
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Becuase you hate joy
    Have you played Minecraft yet Tempü?
  • The whole of whether or not calling something an RPG matters is wholly dependent on whether you think the term RPG helps improve discourse about games or not. In my opinion it doesn't really, because for starters RPG means 'role playing game' and that is something that has become linked to stats, simply because in the days of Pen and Paper games, stats were all you had, but 'playing your role' in a game of D&D is more important than those self same state because that is how you immerse yourself in the game. 

In nearly every game you 'play a role' so the term RPG is utterly defunct, and as we crave for genre descriptors like we have in film, we discover that they're just as useless for talking about games as they are in films. Se7en is a thriller, does that adequately explain the film? Crime Thriller? How granular do you need to go before you're better off giving a synopsis? Final Fantasy is a JRPG, but does that really fully describe what it is?

That's my take.
  • Becuase you hate joy
    Have you played Minecraft yet Tempü?

Yeah, I've played it on PC quite a lot, i've got a terrible attention span though so I generally give up halfway through projects. Brilliant, brilliant (;)) game though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Minecraft is the very definition of joy. Completing projects is for losers though, half finished shit scattered about the place is where it's at.
  • Tempy still hasn't answered me adequately: is having my trousers removed an interactive experience?
  • It is 2 Player co-operative sim game.
  • I don't know Tempy, I don't want to be acted upon when my trousers come off, I want to be the actor!
  • Sometimes life gives you lemons, sometimes it gives you limes. 

The genre is Citrus.
  • Rhythm Paradise is a beat 'em up.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The whole of whether or not calling something an RPG matters is wholly dependent on whether you think the term RPG helps improve discourse about games or not...

That's Jon B's argument. 

I'd argue that it does (it helps one to identify the kind of challenge that a game poses... Much like how the categorisations of contact and non-contact sports provide plenty of information about the activities they're connected to). But who cares, really?

I do, but I'll accept it if no one else does. 

It's a fringe interest anyway.
  • I guess even if you could argue for a more accurate classification of something like Zelda, I question whether that would have any function if it is by its weird specificity destined to obscurity.
  • It assumes we all accept your decisions and classifications as correct though, surely? Saying something is 'an RPG' only tells you a tiny fraction of what is in the game. FFVII is not about its numberwanging, though the game involves it. 

Calling Metroid Prime an RPG... what good does that do? 

"It's Metroid in 3D" 
    "what's Metroid?" 
    "A game where you explore a large map, and bits are cut off until you get certain items." 
    "Oh an adventure game?" 
    "No, it's a metroidvania game..."
    "A what?"
    "Well it's the original Metroidvania game as that is a portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania, a series where some of the games adopted that approach"
    "So not even all the Castlevania games are like Metroid?"
    "No, but they all contain RPG elements"
    "Hang on, are they RPGs?"

etc etc etc, on goes the granular wormhole

The only time I can ever see it really mattering is if you were writing some kind of academic paper or journal on games and you needed shorthand to explain things, at even then you'd have to define your terms at the start of the piece else you'd end up with some John Locke-esque confusion.

I'm not shouting your idea down at all, if it's your interest that's fine and i'm just giving my side on why I feel it is a pointless endeavour, and my tartarus comment on the first page was a joke, calling me a Nazi over it is a tad harsh.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think the term RPG is useful, if I hear it I know I have no interest in the game.

And I think the whole 'role' part of RPG is being over thought. Yes, all games require you to play a role, but the tag we attach to a game doesn't really matter as much as us all having a fairly decent idea of what it means. As an example, once upon a time 'indie' in music meant 'signed to an independent record label', these days the term is more synonymous with a particular type of guitar-based pop music. Does this mean we should change the word 'indie'?
    Spoiler:
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It assumes we all accept your decisions and classifications as correct though, surely? Saying something is 'an RPG' only tells you a tiny fraction of what is in the game. FFVII is not about its numberwanging, though the game involves it.  Calling Metroid Prime an RPG... what good does that do?  "It's Metroid in 3D"  "what's Metroid?"  "A game where you explore a large map, and bits are cut off until you get certain items."  "Oh an adventure game?"  "No, it's a metroidvania game..." "A what?" "Well it's the original Metroidvania game as that is a portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania, a series where some of the games adopted that approach" "So not even all the Castlevania games are like Metroid?" "No, but they all contain RPG elements" "Hang on, are they RPGs?" etc etc etc, on goes the granular wormhole The only time I can ever see it really mattering is if you were writing some kind of academic paper or journal on games and you needed shorthand to explain things, at even then you'd have to define your terms at the start of the piece else you'd end up with some John Locke-esque confusion. I'm not shouting your idea down at all, if it's your interest that's fine and i'm just giving my side on why I feel it is a pointless endeavour, and my tartarus comment on the first page was a joke, calling me a Nazi over it is a tad harsh.

That's exactly what Jon B said too. But with fewer words.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!