Wtf Are You Playing? - The Classification Thread
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Is Football Manager an RPG?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    Is Football Manager an RPG?

strategy game.

bioshock is a story led fps with an upgrade system. (like most of them these days)
    dosn't have the depth of an rpg.

rage has simular amounts of depth but is more open to exploration and has free roaming elements.
    rage is defo a fps, so is bioshock.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Shorthand for describing games, no need to be too specific, and plenty of games overlap.

If someone wanted to know what Portal was, I probably wouldn't say it's an FPS because it would give the wrong impression, thinking about what an FPS usually is.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    Troll thread.
    *Cough*
    Tempy wrote:
    Thread dredged from the very depths of Tartarus itself
    No Tempy... I'm not asking anyone to round up and drown kittens here. I'm just wondering what people make of certain games. Conversely, I get pissed off by nazis attempting to disqualify threads... classifying games, by comparison, is akin to putting a tenner in a fucking charity tin. If you'll please pardon the expression...

Anyway... I think that any game that you can't complete, or effectively compete in, without levelling up, is an RPG of a kind. I don't think this is a Pranky esque dillusion (that said, I don't have a problem with Pranky)... I would possibly say that "RPG" is a bad appellation for the trope that I have in mind, because it can also cover games in which a role isn't played...

Identifying which games force you to level up, is a badger, but if no one else cares for the idea, it's no big deal to me. I just wanted to share what I thought, was a good games discussion.

Bioshock is a particularly good subject to try the theory out on...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Dyna- what's Batman? In your opinion, I am quite/genuinely interested.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Here's something I've always wondered. Do individual libraries have free reign to assign nonfiction books into the Dewey decimal system. So could one library have a book under 729.12 and another put the same book under 725.1? Or is it assigned centrally somehow?
  • beano wrote:

Arkham Asylum? He would call it an RPG.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Third person action adventure.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:

Lol! I guess so...

Like Metroid and Zelda. There's no way to complete those games without building up your avatar first.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    OKay- someone got through all of both Batman's without leveling up anything. So in that sense it's not an RPG to them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Here's something I've always wondered. Do individual libraries have free reign to assign nonfiction books into the Dewey decimal system. So could one library have a book under 729.12 and another put the same book under 725.1? Or is it assigned centrally somehow?

They're assigned centrally. Source: I worked in a library for a bit.
  • beano wrote:
    OKay- someone got through all of both Batman's without leveling up anything. So in that sense it's not an RPG to them.
    Same would go for dark souls then?
  • Would you class something like TF2 as an RPG? Obviously it's an FPS, but there are different roles to play.
    Xbox/PS3/Wii U: Enragedwhale
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    beano wrote:
    OKay- someone got through all of both Batman's without leveling up anything. So in that sense it's not an RPG to them.

That's why I'm saying that me calling all 'level' up games RPGs, sounds stupid. But you can see the idea I have in mind... 

SFxT, anyone? The gems now appear to be useless...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    My point is- people can play games differently.

MGS- I cited in another thread- you can play it as a stealth game or a third-person shooter.

Portal to me is a FPS derived platformer-puzzler.

Uncharted is a 3rd (edit:derived)person platformer-puzzler.

I really don't give a shit what genre a game is, as said. The ultimate question is. "Is it any good?"

I say this because I don't want to say I don't play JRPGs because my experience with them is pretty shitty but I'd never rule one out.

In a modern analogy; If I said all the women I've dated have been a waste of my time then would I rule women out? No of course not!

There was no point to the last line unless you saw what I did there. Which was clever and also snide.

@noface, probably I've never played it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Lol! I guess so... Like Metroid and Zelda. There's no way to complete those games without building up your avatar first.

Yes there is. You don't have to go search for things like heart pieces and bigger sword etc. If you're talking about the life extend and tunics etc that the game forces on you (full heart after a boss for example), does that really count?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Lol! I guess so... Like Metroid and Zelda. There's no way to complete those games without building up your avatar first.
    Yes there is. You don't have to go search for things like heart pieces and bigger sword etc. If you're talking about the life extend and tunics etc that the game forces on you (full heart after a boss for example), does that really count?

Speedruns aside, is it possible to complete a Zelda game, without rocking light arrows? Metroid, without missles, and Batman without the zipline?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Isn't the zipline an unlock before a leveling up?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ah... Yeah... I've neglected to address the details of Batman's system... Once you collect a utility, you can also level it up, and Batman himself also becomes 'harder' as the game goes on...

Though the game has a quality brawling system, I see it as an (action) RPG... 
    Your avatar has to be in a certain state, in order to finish the game...

Thinking about it though, Rez fucks this model right in the ear... 

You level up in each stage with very little applied thought. But you can also beat bosses in a devolved state... that game is definitely not an RPG...

Fuck it.

*Scarpers*
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Rez is a game for recovering from a K-hole that's why.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    There is an element of that, although Amr Diab became famous for pioneering a new style of poppier, more modern sounding music that sounds fairly different to the more traditional stuff sung by Mohamed Mounir. Although they both rely heavily on the word 'habibi' (darling, but can be used for men or women). Here's some Amr Diab: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOMAUH4fvc And here's some Mohamed Mounir: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eGX4BfIaFGg Edit: having trouble embedding the vids on iPad. You'll just have to follow the links.

Diab I could listen to pleasantly in the background. Not quite sure about that Mounir.
  • I thought the defining nature of a role playing game was shaping a characters play style through stats and upgrades so at the end you can end up with a different character to somebody else. Batman always is batman.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    beano wrote:
    If I said all the women I've dated have been a waste of my time then would I rule women out? No of course not!

No. Those dates would not have been a waste of time, because when you are in the position to meet someone new, you'll have a better awareness of what's good for the both of you...

Maybe.

I should go out...

Edit - Again, I admit there are loads of holes in my abstraction, but it's only a thread... not an attempt to canonise shit. Like, if I'm making such a big deal out of levelling up, and avatar states, then what does that make Gran Turismo?

That's definitely not an RPG, but in order to complete the main game mode, you have to reach a certain state to enter each race class.
  • Speedruns aside, is it possible to complete a Zelda game, without rocking light arrows? Metroid, without missles, and Batman without the zipline?

So by that logic, Halo would be an RPG if it required you to find a stronger weapon to progress in the game? Even if its just one point in the whole game?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Pretty sure that it's possible to complete Halo without switching weapons. But picking up a weapon in Halo never permanently alters your character's skillset...

Picking up the grappling hook in Zelda does...
  • I'm pretty sure being able to see further, shoot more accurately and make things blow up is altering your skill set.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    But in Halo, you can choose to drop all of that, and still have a chance at winning the game.
    For example, there's an achievement in a certain version of Halo for completing the game without using any vehicles...
  • Read my post dude. I said if. So.... if at some point Halo required you to find and use a certain more powerful gun to proceed... would it be an RPG? The more powerful gun would indeed change your skillset just as light arrows in Zelda do (according to your logic).

Edit: you can choose not to use certain items in Zelda unless you have to. So you can choose to drop the powerful weapon in Halo until/unless you have to use it. No?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!