SteamBox aka Steamy Gabecube aka SteamOS
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Jaysuz.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Jaysuz.

Fuck off. Give me a good reason for consumers to buy a Linux console. Go on, just the one.

If you're just gonna sit there and mock back it with something substantial or can the trolling.
  • Unity's fine for big productions, and has been used, its licensing terms state you dont have to pt the unity logo at startup if you dont wish to

Unreal has build tools for linux, there are no curently released binaries but its a promising hint

If the Steambox has a fairly straightforward x86 architecture, it will be simpler to develop for, the copy protection a console steam gives is attractive and desktop version of the games, if using linux on steambox, means even even more venues. I don't see a 5% share of OS use as microscopic, merely small, and this could quite easily grow massively if the OS was better know/lost it's nerdy high-entry-barrier aura, which it should do really, its very easy to use these days. It's also free (dur) and will live on the same harddisk as another OS with a dual boot
  • In fact to me all linux suffers for is lack of education and support - obviously a chicken and egg scenario, but its wasted breath, because its completely irrelevant. People dont buy 'a linux based console' they buy Steambox, and developers themselves can measure its value. I can only see them see it as attractive, at this point.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    5%?

Dream on.

I'm going to go right ahead and say it again. This isn't about Linux vs Windows. It's about Linux vs Xbox, Playstation and Wii U.

We're not talking about those cute little indie games things like Unity attract because 9 times out of 10 they're mouse and keyboard or touch driven. We're talking about console titles using a controller.

The only glimmer of a chance this 'PC as console' has is if it has a console comparable/parity catalogue from day one. Even running Windows throws EA/Ubi questions up, never mind running an OS no major publisher supports.
  • its very easy to use these days. It's also free (dur) and will live on the same harddisk as another OS with a dual boot
    Just to play devils advocate.

All this is true, but people already have windows/OS X, it comes with their computer, what benefit is there to those people in having another OS like linux if it is only to play games on?

OS X user may be interested if it could provide more games than currently available but for the most part if they were that interested in gaming they wouldn't have bought a Mac. Or could spalsh out £50 on Windows and dual boot, Mac users generally are hardly strapped for cash, instead they want a premium, easy to use, product in which case OS X> Windows> Linux.

Edit: like you wasted breath as we are talking about a linux console over linux desktop.
    In this scenario I agree with Mod, the one advantage a PC console has (Back catalogue) is neutered by that catalogue not being available on Linux and Linux not being currently used by the big players.
  • no its about linux vs whatever operating system xbox uses vs whatever operating system ps uses vs whatever operating system wii u uses which is completely and absolutely irrelevant

theres really no point you flapping on about Unity, you can have a unity game be controlled by a controller easily (ive had some fun making trivial controls using the 360 controller) and if you can afford the license, Unity will also build for xbox360, ps3 and wii

last comment can refer to above
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Someone drop a Return(1); in the modloop ffs.

The kernel / OS / isn't such a big deal to you. It's a point you can waaste your time on. Whilst that's a good use of your time in your eyes my eyes and many other pairs get to read the same waffle and it's dull, at times it's down right infuriating because it lasts for pages. Or goes on for hours. My eyes begin to bleed and I want to turn you off mod. You're not being sceptical your prose doesn't show it it shows emotion. You've exhausted critical thought from yourself and everyone there's no need to have a say - we don't have enough information to continue that thread that means nothing. Am I not allowed to laugh at the blatant sarcasm and humour in gunn's comment about nextbox will have win8 and already has a userbase? Wanker.

It's steam in a console housing. Just so happens it's PC gubbins. So has every console gubbins. It's hardware. The question is about adoption. Steambox adoption. People are split. Majoritively we want it to work out. It just so happens we maybe able to dual boot it, like a PS3 which I think you wanked whimsical over as well iirc. You don't like this ideal others attach to projects like Ouya and Steambox because you've spent so much of your life surviving by buying into an ideal you're a star consumer and if you've been fisting capitalism so long everyone else should. The idea of choice this good fucks you right off. Pointing out they'll have a store gets you so hard you mention it over and over and say 'it's closed- wagga wagga'.

All the pro's and cons have been said concerned with what is know or a reasonable assumption, so why bang on. The 'nail on the head' comment that you cited makes no speculation or reference to userbase or anything as such that you're continuing to call on not even development. 

tl;dr: I'm not trolling I'm saying can-it   because unicorns. So no, you fuck off. (I don't mean it *hugs* I just mean calm down, get a hobby hey *hugs* see anything you like? )
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    no its about linux vs whatever operating system xbox uses vs whatever operating system ps uses vs whatever operating system wii u uses which is completely and absolutely irrelevant

Get real, Xbox, PS3 and Wii have always used different operating systems and needed different skills and resources to produce games for. Despite this companies still produce games across all or some of them. Why? Why do you think, because there's money to be made.

I don't need to look very far to see companies saying "sorry, we aren't producing a version for X because the returns aren't good enough". It wasn't so long ago the PC had that exact problem. Wii had that problem all of its life.

Now you're saying publishers will start producing Ubuntu (not Linux) games because of a market that solely comprises of a) people buying SteamBox, b) system builders that don't like or don't want to buy Windows and c) people who dual boot and somehow prefer Linux for gaming over Win/Mac.
  • its very easy to use these days. It's also free (dur) and will live on the same harddisk as another OS with a dual boot
    Just to play devils advocate. All this is true, but people already have windows/OS X, it comes with their computer, what benefit is there to those people in having another OS like linux if it is only to play games on? OS X user may be interested if it could provide more games than currently available but for the most part if they were that interested in gaming they wouldn't have bought a Mac. Or could spalsh out £50 on Windows and dual boot, Mac users generally are hardly strapped for cash, instead they want a premium, easy to use, product in which case OS X> Windows> Linux. Edit: like you wasted breath as we are talking about a linux console over linux desktop. In this scenario I agree with Mod, the one advantage a PC console has (Back catalogue) is neutered by that catalogue not being available on Linux and Linux not being currently used by the big players.

It's an education thing, it could be added that the cost of your windows license adds a fair lump onto the cost of your machine when you buy it, when if your machine was provided with linux with all the functionality you would ever use it for you would save money and arguably be in a 'safer' environment should windows go the way of apple. If windows did do that, you can certainly expect a surge of people to move to linux and linux is ready for that right now, usability is no longer a problem. Thats all moot anyways, you're talking about major publishers or devs supporting linux, which is frankly something none here can give an opinion on because you dont know, and all i can comment on is a few well known engines moving in that direction. The 'supporting linux' think just seems like a painfully trivial thing to bring up, because its irrelevant, the developers to you customers, support Steambox, the linux talk is fecking irrelevant and i swear ive said that more times than i should sanely have to
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Majoritively we want it to work out. It just so happens we maybe able to dual boot it, like a PS3 which I think you wanked whimsical over as well iirc. You don't like this ideal others attach to projects like Ouya and Steambox because you've spent so much of your life surviving by buying into an ideal you're a star consumer and if you've been fisting capitalism so long everyone else should. The idea of choice this good fucks you right off.

Huh?

I love choice. That's why I chose not to spend this generation playing almost exclusively sub optimal versions of titles, through a piss poor online network or waiting patiently for games that were delayed by years.

Choice is extremely important in this debate. Consumers, developers, publishers and even Valve have had the choice to support Linux for a decade. They haven't. If you think a DRM equipped store (very anti choice very anti open source and resoundingly criticised by the Linux elders I might add) changes that you're living in la la land.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    its very easy to use these days. It's also free (dur) and will live on the same harddisk as another OS with a dual boot
    Just to play devils advocate. All this is true, but people already have windows/OS X, it comes with their computer, what benefit is there to those people in having another OS like linux if it is only to play games on? OS X user may be interested if it could provide more games than currently available but for the most part if they were that interested in gaming they wouldn't have bought a Mac. Or could spalsh out £50 on Windows and dual boot, Mac users generally are hardly strapped for cash, instead they want a premium, easy to use, product in which case OS X> Windows> Linux. Edit: like you wasted breath as we are talking about a linux console over linux desktop. In this scenario I agree with Mod, the one advantage a PC console has (Back catalogue) is neutered by that catalogue not being available on Linux and Linux not being currently used by the big players.
    It's an education thing, it could be added that the cost of your windows license adds a fair lump onto the cost of your machine when you buy it, when if your machine was provided with linux with all the functionality you would ever use it for you would save money and arguably be in a 'safer' environment should windows go the way of apple. If windows did do that, you can certainly expect a surge of people to move to linux and linux is ready for that right now, usability is no longer a problem. Thats all moot anyways, you're talking about major publishers or devs supporting linux, which is frankly something none here can give an opinion on because you dont know, and all i can comment on is a few well known engines moving in that direction. The 'supporting linux' think just seems like a painfully trivial thing to bring up, because its irrelevant, the developers to you customers, support Steambox, the linux talk is fecking irrelevant and i swear ive said that more times than i should sanely have to

You're still talking about desktop Linux vs Windows. Take it to the Tech thread or the PC gaming thread. This is a console thread.
  • i give up btw, beano, you have the right idea
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'll also add:

I use open source systems every day in the CMS sites I develop for clients and have contributed time back via bug reports and -where I've been able to- fixes. The last thing I backed on Kickstarter was VLC. The thing before that was a Raspberry PI cabinet and I'll be ordering my board any day. I very nearly bought the first Android phone in the UK and was running android on my phone long before it was a thing.

People love to try and pigeon hole me but sorry, the facts just don't stack up.
  • You still talk about things you dont know anything about as discussion beaters and its so tiresome and boring i cant be bothered anymore, im out
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Don't be so condescending.

I've seen enough consoles launch over the years and watched their relative fortunes to spot a winner from a turd.
  • Ooh, it's getting hot in herrrr....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Don't be so condescending. I've seen enough consoles launch over the years and watched their relative fortunes to spot a winner from a turd.

As we all have.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • On another note, this really isn't about Linux vs pc gaming or whatever. Much too early to comment on that.
    This is about Valve entering the console buisness via Steam. A new player on the console block. 

Whether Valve uses a windows/mac/linux/android build or a custom os, they are entering the console market.
    They will be going head to head with the 720, PS4 and perhaps the Wii 4 All. 
    Perk: backwards compatibility with Steam Linux. 

Yes Gabe loves ranting and being controversial and to Mod he's an unlikable fat cunt.
    Me? I give him the benefit of the doubt. The Steam service is definitely solid and obviously ready for the jump to console. If he can get 3rd party devs aboard it might even go somewhere. 
    I for one welcome another player in the console world. 

Whatever the implications on pc gaming, they can't worsen the situation more than it is now.
    Piracy is a real problem for publishers, perhaps what pc gaming needs is consolefication?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This Linux thing is a huge boon, yes, but I honestly think it will mostly be about the shit hot control system rumours... 
    But no-one else seems to care about that. : (
  • It's feasible this time next year that there will be mainstream unix based google and iOS living room boxes being shoved down every consumers throat. That would change the platform element of this argument entirely.

I know they exist now but they aren't receiving the full weight of their respective a companies marketing and backing. All it needs is for apple to produce something which they make a big deal about and suddenly every tech journo around would be paying attention to that part of the market.
  • Not even saying that would be a good thing for the steam box. What they might gain in dev support they might lose from being crowded out
    Something the PS4 and wii U will definitely have to contend with as well
  • monkey wrote:
    It's feasible this time next year that there will be mainstream unix based google and iOS living room boxes being shoved down every consumers throat. That would change the platform element of this argument entirely. I know they exist now but they aren't receiving the full weight of their respective a companies marketing and backing. All it needs is for apple to produce something which they make a big deal about and suddenly every tech journo around would be paying attention to that part of the market.

Google TV and Apple TV have been around for some time but they never took off because of dodgy interfaces. How do you transfer a touch experience to the livingroom? With a remote control? Gestures? Or perhaps Nintendo's got the right idea with their WiiU? I still think Android and iOS are a totally different market than the hardcore consoles although the gap is slowly closing.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Just to add to this branch of the discussion, there'd be absolutely no Netflix or LoveFilm on any Linux SteamBox as there's no Linux version of Silverlight.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Apple TV have been around for some time but they never took off...

Apple TV is very nice indeed... My mate was showing me around the Netflix and Hulu apps... And I keep saying it...

It's very nice bit of kit if you have the magic beans to spare.

If Apple were to put a better CPU in the box, then Steam's Big picture would work very well on it... Apple certainly don't seem put out by rivals offering digital stores on their systems...

The Hulu one was blinding... Especially if you like American TV (as many people do).

The range of choice was mental...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Silverlight...

How the fuck can I take the rest of that post seriously? o_0
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Aside from the fact there isn't anything after it, I don't follow. Surely the availability of Netflix, LoveFilm (and Sky for that matter) would be an important consideration for any 'media center' ambitions?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Aside from the fact there isn't anything after it, I don't follow. Surely the availability of Netflix, LoveFilm (and Sky for that matter) would be an important consideration for any 'media center' ambitions?

There is an implementation of Silverlight on *nix though... Had Microsoft's official backing too - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_(runtime) - But I had read it had since been discontinued due to lack of demand.

A mate of mine works for a fairly large UK digital media store... 
    He'd been working on a XBL frontend in Silverlight and .net...

He said he likes C# (it is nicer than Java...), but didn't find the WPF API to be a patch on Flash.
    So it's not like the dude has a discernable bias here...
  • i presume netflix/lovefilm etc arent contractually obliged to only use silverlight? if thats the case then it's not really an issue

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!