SteamBox aka Steamy Gabecube aka SteamOS
  • Jesus, you are obsessed with Linux aren't you?
    Or is it Linux vs Windows? Or Gabe's betrayal of the Windows pc platform by shifting focus to Linux?

Even though the steamybox will obviously be closed source....
    As I mentioned before, this is not about pc Windows gaming vs. pc Linux gaming.
    This is about Valve using Steam as a vehicle to launch a new console. The rest is just a boon. Whatever the repercussions, I'm sure pc gaming (Linux, windows or otherwise) will prevail for those who like their experience more "cutting edge".

What's more interesting is, how will MS respond to Valve's shift of focus? Will they step up with Live for pc? Will Live on the 720 and the pc be more tightly integrated? Will the 720 be more like a windows pc?I'm curious as to how this will develop.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Microsoft don't care about gaming on the PC. Where are the PC versions of Halo 4 or Forza? Their biggest PC franchises have gone free to play.

They haven't twisted any gamers arms into a Win8 upgrade by making a DX12 Win8 only. Their under the TV competition is Sony and Nintendo. If the current fad of PCs going under the TV continues (which I really don't think it will once the next gen machines arrive) then they've options. Allow game makers quicker certification for Live or reduced/free store fees. They've got the cash to drive Valve out of business if they desired, their income isn't nearly 100% derived from skimming store sales. That's if PCs under the TV ever became the dominant platform. Which it won't.
  • I agree that the pc under telly thing won't happen. For that to succeed in massmarket you really need to offer a compelling hardware + software + integrated service solution. And let's face it, not many companies are capable of delivering just that.

If Steam does shift focus from windows to linux because of Steambox and proves successfull, it might open up oppurtunities to MS encouraging them to tighten up their Live service. Who knows, they might follow a similar path to Valve?
    MS may not care about PC gaming at the moment but if they see an oppurtunity to make teh moneys, they won't let it pass them by.

Also, it doesn't make sense to force DX12 down consumers throats, especially if you want massmarket penetration. If the android userbase is fragmented, so is the windows userbase. And the majority of the users are not on Win8/DX12.....No dev in their right mind would risk that. Yeah, they tried it with Vista (Halo2?) and failed miserably. I think they learned their lesson.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'd love to see fourth (third) 'core' console option. Shake things up a bit. There's plenty of stuff Valve do with Steam that the others could learn a lot from. I just think for the sake of a licence and the ability to tailor what interface launches then basing it in Linux is folly.
  • Maybe......

I'll up the ante with even more crazy theories.
    What if Valve already explored a Windows licensing deal (likely)? What if MS actually denied them such a license, claiming they wanted to leave a path open to something similar (aka windows + 720). MS has their own agenda right? 

And that's where Valve get's pissed off and things get real, real interesting.

Merry xmas everyone!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    It could be that Valve has been eyeing Google and their work on Android.

https://www.miniand.com/products/MK802%20Android%20Mini%20PC

Perhaps this is exactly the type of thing that Gabe saw coming over the hill.
    Certainly trounces the whole idea of the Ouya.

Look at these prices...

http://m.alibaba.com/products/mini_pc_mk802.html

This one's silly...

http://m.tinydeal.com/product/Android-40-TV-Box-Multimedia-Player-with-WiFi-HDMI-TF-Slot-(CPU-A10S-15GHz-RAM-1GB-NAND-Flash-4GB)-TTH-144191-78747

And suddenly, a move away from Windows doesn't look quite so stupid...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'd dearly love to see Gabe launch a console that isn't supported by a single game on his store.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm prepared to wait for E3 to judge the console. Presuming this meant to be next gen with a twist. So it Is not about what steam has now, it's about what SteamBox will have and in which case why will I NEED their console? Neither nextbox or ps4 will be backward compatible it's even pointless mentioning Steam user numbers in this debate for either speculating on the potential market. Similarly why will third part studios be ATTRACTED to it? Thinking of it as a console, which is what it is meant to be. NOT a PC or smart device.
    It seems kind of redundant to worry so persistently about something that affects a PC. The prototype xbox was two Apple desktops. PS3 was all IBM. They're both both rooted in *nix derivatives.

It'll be shit or it'll be boss. Either way, it seems meticulously well intended and on time considering the working environment, but given their brand and work ethic they're certainly the most likely to transcend the soft-to-hard divide and do it well. 

I'll shut up. 
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    What makes you think NextBox won't have backwards compatibility?

If anyone is in a position to open up a new under the TV market it's either Google with an Android device or Apple with an iOS one. Neither of which seems particularly likely at this point, despite the fact it's mind blowing they haven't happened already.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I don't want an apple console, it doesn't appeal in the slightest does it to you? Anyone can make a Google console-ouya. But I specifically meant games industry roots. Who can do it. Perhaps Acti? 

So you wouldn't think Google would fuck up the controller? :)
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    An Apple console could be appealing. It needn't be much dearer then they charge for the Apple TV. I suppose the problem is convincing developers to add controller support to games people already own so will just download/update for free. That and developers successfully straddling the mobile/touch and TV/controller market would be near impossible.

Google is bizarre. They've made a right fist of Google TV and that settop box thing that was scrapped before it even launched. Meanwhile people are snapping up Android TV boxes and people are making Ouya. I suppose that's more intune with the Android ethos, but sheesh.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    beano wrote:
    I don't want an apple console

Hmm... I'm 50/50 on that... 

10 years ago, an iPod phone also sounded weird and the iPad was laughed into the stores...

Didn't see the iPhone coming at all, but the iPad had to happen sooner or later... The iPhone (and all those other sized tabs) could, in some way,
    be seen as a natural progression of the general form of the personal computer (Google the dynabook when you get the chance).

(Some) People say that the tablet/smartphone is the high watermark of HCI, but looking at all the Valve rumours, it quite hard to be sure of that argument.
    Beyond these constrained, but entertaining exchanges over the use of Linux and the shape of the box lie some incredibly complicated questions
    that I'm sure will become all the rage once the console/box (or at the very least, the tech, perhaps even via Microsoft or Sony... Some of the shit I've read could possibly already be developed on a Kinect...) is released.

I'm genuinely excited by what's due, and I'm sure it will catch on, but the question I'm asking, is... Is it for me?

Monkey's "pint of cold sick" comment, though flippant, is valid...
  • (Some) People say that the tablet/smartphone is the high watermark of HCI, but looking at all the Valve rumours, it quite hard to be sure of that argument.
    Not the high watermark of gaming though. That honour currently (probably) goes to the 360 controller (or its predecessor) or the keyboard + mouse combo. There's nothing better at handling a complex, varied series of inputs in a way that can be learned relatively easily and used at speed. 
    Touchscreens might be more accessible but there's a handful of games that are actually improved by the touchscreen. Nearly all games are inferior when used this way. 
    This is all standard games forum p.o.v. waffle of course. 

My cold sick comment is really about my scepticism that there's anything out there that can improve upon what we've already got. I suppose at some stage, there's bound to be something that improves upon the 360 controller. But will it arrive from the drive to make controller's more accessible? 

I think it will come, like the dual analog thing, from having new game ideas that current controllers can't cope with very easily. The tech develops around the experience. 
    The problem with, say, Kinect is its the exact opposite. The tech was made, and MS have dreamt up a way of marketing it, and now try and get it shoehorned into everything. And it's for all the wrong reasons. Same with the Wii. It just produces a series of completely missable, novelty 'experiences'.

So, anyways, for Valve to actually accomplish something with this new controller jazz means they have to improve on either the keyboard and mouse or the control pad. These have both been iterated over for the past three decades or whatever, so improvements aren't impossible. But replacing them with brand new tech that improves the experience is a tall order.

If they're going this latter route, I'd expect shitness.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    (Some) People say that the tablet/smartphone is the high watermark of HCI, but looking at all the Valve rumours, it quite hard to be sure of that argument.
    Not the high watermark of gaming though. That honour currently (probably) goes to the 360 controller (or its predecessor) or the keyboard + mouse combo.

I often think that things haven't really improved drastically since the SNES joypad (and arguably, Street Fighter 2 (arcade)). If a devco forced the issue, you could probably play a half decent FPS on a SNES joypad. Away from console and PC games, one thing I've always liked, is force feedback. That shit definitely improves a game. You could probably do a lot more with that... Purely by taking a game like Sega Rally (in a proper cabinet), and increasing the strength of the haptic force applied through the steering wheel.

You're right about the Wii-Mote though. It's turned out to be a gimmick. But it still has potential... I really do like the baseball mini game in Wii Sports...

As for Valve's plans, the rumours suggest that their plans have less to do with fidelity of control (though that appears to still be a large part of what they want to do), but appears to address the nebulous concept of player involvement...

Things like rage quitting, pad flinging, retries, game difficulty settings, learning curves and completion rates, that sort of thing. But not just those concerns exclusively, either. So yeah, on the rumours alone, I'm mad hyped for this thing. Though I'm a little apprehensive about the technology (which we'll see in some guise before long, anyway).
  • Force feedback dual analogue sticks. Fuck yeh.take a shot or shunt from the right and have the sticks fight you. Well boss.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • you could probably play a half decent FPS on a SNES joypad
    Give Jurassic Park on the SNES a go then try and say the same thing
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    C'mon, Doom was passable.
  • More news @ GDC.
    Next gen starts in 2013?
  • It haz ventsz 4 teh steaminess!
  • If it was approx £300, available tomorrow and had full access to the entire Steam catalogue I would buy that right now.
    But its not that simple is it?
    We still don't know WTF is going on with the Linux part of it and Steams back cat. And thats the big question.
  • Here is one of their PC's. Lot of work to do.
  • Lol if it ends up being the same price.

I will eat my hat on the design front though, it does look neat, I was expecting Hyundai levels of design.
  • PC gamer say that the last model released by them was $999 but this thing is going to be dedicated to gaming so I dunno.

Maybe they'll sell at a loss as It's modular, and they'll put a premium on better bits?

It's expected to come with a 1TB HDD.
  • Its got to be cheaper than £800 surely?
    For that type of money you can buy yourself a decent gaming PC (especially if you are using your TV as a monitor) anyway.
    So you might as well just do that.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm not convinced this is an under TV play. Small and light Shuttle type PCs have been around for years, even ones aimed at the LAN crowd.

I just don't see how you put a decent card in something that size. My GTX670 is a physical monster.
  • I'm interested to see where this goes - Aesthetically I think it's horrendous, It looks like some kind of electronic cheese grater.
  • It isn't ideal but still way better looking than that Nvidia thing.
  • I like it, but it's not the Steam Box or even their version of one by the look of things.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    What's valves return on this? Simply association and their is regular % on sales?

Likewise not convinced this is representative of the steam box but still interesting speculation.

Keep the dream alive!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!