Windows 8
  • Always a possibility.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Well, either overheating once has started the ball rolling, or the heat on Friday had nothing to do with it, because my pc overheated again in sleep mode last night. I take it there's no way to remove and replace a cpu without rebuilding the pc and losing stuff?

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    You can take the CPU out and put a new one in, but it's not a trivial matter. You'd have to take the whole thing apart.

This is a weird problem to suddenly start having in sleep mode. I've not heard of it before. Are you sure it's going into sleep mode? Does the whole thing power down and the fans stop whirring? I've had laptops that don't then when you take them back out of the bag they're hot. Are you just leaving it on a desk or putting it in a bag?

I don't understand why it would function fine in normal use then overheat in (proper) sleep. In sleep mode does the case feel hot to the touch?

Sounds like some sort of mis configuration somewhere rather than hardware. Might be worth taking it into to a repair shop and asking them before doing anything drastic like buying and fitting a new CPU.
  • Heat sink might have come away? Fans might be keeping it cool enough during normal use?

Are you running a temp monitor?
  • Defo in sleep mode. Fans stop, and (normally) a quick tap or mouse move and it goes back into life.

This is a desktop PC, so it's not going into bags or anything. It's sitting on a desk, next to a window, but out of the sun.

I'm catching up with my repair shop (good mate of mine) for a bbq soon anyway, may well ask.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Where the hell did I get the idea it was a laptop?

Hrrm.

Have you checked the Power options to disable everything that can run in sleep mode? You might have something that is triggering the PC into thinking it's sharing media.

Screenshot2019.png
  • Nice.

FYI, for future reference: Any time you ask a question like "have you tried. . .?" and the option is hidden a few sub windows in, you can take it as read that the answer is no 99.9999% of the time.

;)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'd do what Wor suggests as well and run a temp checker during normal use to see what values you're getting

CoreTemp works OK,

http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

(click the More Downloads then select 32/64 to get the version without the ad installer)

as does RealTemp

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
  • Well, that's me with Win8 as my main system now. Good points, bad points. I'll save full judgement until if had time to play with it properly. Gotta ask if that section where you can change border sizes on windows and stuff pike that is still available anywhere, I kinda missed Vista (intentionally) and 7 ( cause work gave me a Mac).
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I haven't seen those window thickness settings in a normal option screen since XP. I bet they're available via a reg hack somewhere.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    They were in 7.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    But I am drunk. But I'm sure I've been there in 7 land.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Well, if you remember when less drunk, let me know.

My days of poking about in the registry - unless I've been told exactly what to change or I've got no choice - are behind me. IT can suck my arse.
  • Ooh, this Windows 8 really is quite nippy and efficient, isn't it? After finding my borrowed laptop can't really run FTL, I checked what it was and it's just a Celeron with 2GB. Yet Windows is smooth as; very impressed. It even starts faster than my old XP box used to, and that was pretty beefy for it's time.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    As a reminder the £24.99 upgrade offer expires at the end of this month. I can't find what price it will jump to but in the US it's going from $39.99 to $199.99 for the Pro version or $119.99 for the ordinary one.

So, if you were planning to upgrade at some point, then doing it before the 31st, or even just buying the licence and keeping but not installing it, would be financially prudent.
  • Ooo cheers, think I will.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've installed this app on my nexus and a client on a win8 box called splashtop. I usually refuse third party remote desktop apps unless there's a vpn, al la citrix involved. But this thing includes remote win8 gestures. It's a bit laggy atm but my PS3 is on the download and the win8 box itself has remote connections open to uni and is streaming musak from google.

It's really quite swell to use despite the lag.

Only critism is the local screen is unlocked whilst I use it remotely- not worked out if I can put it in a lock screen on locally while I remote in.

Worth a look at least. I leave my office a lot and am having to logon to various machine to show people stuff on my desktop which is a bit of a dance at times, especially with the uni machines that're bonded to the domain.

Thought it was worth mentioning and I hadn't heard of it before...

• Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Not sure where to ask but I need advice on a laptop, I need one that is fairly decent so I can use it for Photoshop, Illustrator and Omega. I don't want to spend a fortune on it...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Is this any good

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/05/engadget-laptop-buyers-guide-winter-2013/

It's written for a US market, but I'd guess almost all of them are available here as well.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    They're all a bit expensive.

I've been asked by a few mates to knock up some artwork for them but my PC is packed away and I'm not doing anything at work as I want to make sure there is nothing against me if the shit hits the fan here, I was hoping more around the £400 range (I may be able to buy through work and save on the VAT) it will get used a bit by me but I plan on converting a very small box room I have into a study at some stage and then I'll be able to set my PC up again...

Thanks for posting the link though, if money wasn't so tight there are a few in that list I wouldn't mind grabbing!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've had a private job come in that's going to allow me to get a better laptop than I imagined.

I did want to get a Surface Pro (or whatever they're called) but if I'm going to spend money then I want one that I can use for Photoshop etc and it's looking like I'd have to spend a fortune to get anything comparable to a laptop.

This is what I'm looking at...

Samsung 350E7C 17.3-inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel Core i7 3630QM 2.4GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon Graphics) - £735
  • I'm wondering if these touchscreen/tablet/laptop combos allow you to hook up the keyboard part to other screens.

Thinking I'd like to keep my big monitor for the time being, but have the option to hook up my keyboard to another screen.

Actually, I'm not thinking this through, am I? I take it the guts of the machine have to be in the screen part, otherwise it can't work as a tablet. durr.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This is better mate. And same monies. @Moto.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    I'm wondering if these touchscreen/tablet/laptop combos allow you to hook up the keyboard part to other screens. Thinking I'd like to keep my big monitor for the time being, but have the option to hook up my keyboard to another screen. Actually, I'm not thinking this through, am I? I take it the guts of the machine have to be in the screen part, otherwise it can't work as a tablet. durr.

There is an app called Synergy+ that worked crossplatform. As you motioned your mouse off the side it would go on to the next (you set in an array/order) and the keyboard would then focus on that machine. I dunno if it's made the whole android / RT leap.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    beano wrote:
    This is better mate. And same monies. @Moto.
    What is?
  • Beano is apparently on a slightly incoherent posting spree. Seems harmless, but I don't undertand half of what he's saying at the moment.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Gmail makes me absent. I'm a pyar spod.

link http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=700Z5C&oq=700Z5C
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Beano is apparently on a slightly incoherent posting spree. Seems harmless, but I don't undertand half of what he's saying at the moment.

No the pope stuff was on my mind. I hadn't said it let alone typed it. The Jonnies thing I meant.

Keeping up cross-thread face, good man you're on a reading spree :D 

edit: lttrsndnbbrs nnt
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Gmail makes me absent. I'm a pyar spod. link http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=700Z5C&oq=700Z5C
    Have you got a link to the actual one as that is bringing up i5's and i7's, some with integrated graphics some with more dedicated stuff. It seems this model number encompasses quite a lot, a bit like a Ford Focus, everything from a 1.0l to do your shopping or a RS to get some zip on with...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!