Rocksmith
  • They get plenty. Very little of it is up and running in Europe yet. I guess licensing issues rear their ugly head. 

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-us/downloads/index.aspx

72 songs and I'd buy 30 of those if I could! Yet I think I paid for about 2 songs on Rockband or Guitar Hero. Playing a plastic guitar just isn't the same as this. The extra fee for the songs is worth paying IMO because it's the real deal. Loving it so far. Nailed the CHilli's Higher Ground, Sweet Home Alabama, Go With The Flow and Sunshine of Your Love so far.
  • Ali wrote:
    It's a bloody good teaching application

How good? My nephew got a guitar last Xmas and I think it's gathering dust. Is it suitable for complete novices or is it more of a supplement to learning?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Definitely a supplement. The one thing they do get wrong is the variable speed practice mode. You can't set a speed, it adapts on the fly, which means it usually varies too much. Start with a good book/DVD to get the basics but Rocksmith can come into play once he can hold notes down and do a few 2 note power chords. I'm going in at the opposite end. Been playing for 26 years but I want to learn new songs and different styles and this is a great way to do it. It's also a great way to get back into playing in time and much more enjoyable than a metronome!
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    I had an electric guitar for years. Books, tabs etc couldn't hold my attention. Learned nothing until this game came out. Its perfect for beginners and I've even convinced a few friends to get into guitar through this game.
  • Fucking gamification.
  • Ali wrote:
    Definitely a supplement. The one thing they do get wrong is the variable speed practice mode. You can't set a speed, it adapts on the fly, which means it usually varies too much.

They've added this in the most recent patch.  If you go into the riff repeater for a track and press start you can set the mastery level and speed.
  • I might get him to check it out and see if it interests him. Thanks.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Nexx wrote:
    Ali wrote:
    Definitely a supplement. The one thing they do get wrong is the variable speed practice mode. You can't set a speed, it adapts on the fly, which means it usually varies too much.
    They've added this in the most recent patch.  If you go into the riff repeater for a track and press start you can set the mastery level and speed.

Excellent. Will delve into the options. Also worth noting that the Euro edition gets the bass DLC for free and you can use guitar for bass emulation. For something I bought on a whim, this is the best music game....well.....ever! Haven't played anything else all weekend. And haven't practiced guitar this much for ages either! The scales mini games are especially useful.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Fucking gamification.

I'm not looking at this as a game in any way. In fact, I kind of wish they hadn't bothered with the career mode. I'm just choosing songs and trying to nail them at full level and speed.
  • Ali wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Fucking gamification.

I'm not looking at this as a game in any way. In fact, I kind of wish they hadn't bothered with the career mode. I'm just choosing songs and trying to nail them at full level and speed.

I know, it was just a joke about the fact that Ragin had friends who were now willing to try guitar because of a Game. You've been playing guitar longer than I've been alive btw, that is quite insane.
  • Okay grabbed this.

The cable pumps in a pretty muddy signal, must be a cheapo high-capacitance material they've gone for. That stated, it fucking works this thing.

Just managed to get solid cranked JTM45 tone in rig playaround mode.
  • Brooks bought a thing well I'll be
  • I buy stuff all the time, it is good to be wealthy.
  • THe amp sims are certainly no worse than Garageband, though a bit of a way off even the Line 6 and Boss gear. Fun though. Especially auto wah. There's something about that that always makes me giggle.
  • I'm guessing pedals won't work with this?
  • I reckon they might. Will give that a go.

Failing that, the system has a whole bunch emulated. If the cloned amps are much to go by there's bound to be a take on your standard Muff, Tubescreamer, Rat etc.

Meanwhile though I certainly can see the rationale for ditching any eh-urrr noises when one fucks up, I think I'd like it toggleable.
  • I'm guessing pedals won't work with this?

If you put them before the lead, they probably would, but the game then adds it's own tone for each song based on a clean signal. Could get messy!
  • Ali wrote:
    I'm guessing pedals won't work with this?
    If you put them before the lead, they probably would, but the game then adds it's own tone for each song based on a clean signal. Could get messy!

I think you can leave one of the setups in the amplifier mode clean and then trigger it with the X Y or B button when you play a song.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Please excuse this rudeness but i can't read this whole thread at work so can i just be a dick and pop in and ask is this fun if you can already play guitar to a reasonable standard? Or is this really aimed at people learning to play?
  • Yes I can play a guitar and think it is quite fun.
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    In America they released a pedal specifically for Rocksmith so you aren't stomping all over your controller and making it smell like feet.
    Anyone who already plays guitar needs to make some changes in the settings so songs don't begin on "pathetically easy mode".
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    "pathetically easy mode"
    that sounds like it were made specificly for me.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Hoping to play this tonight, my brother disappeared to London again last night so no joy. Straight punch to the kidneys if he buggers off again.
  • Please excuse this rudeness but i can't read this whole thread at work so can i just be a dick and pop in and ask is this fun if you can already play guitar to a reasonable standard? Or is this really aimed at people learning to play?

It's superb! Still waiting for more DLC though. I want to see if my version of The Final Countdown solo remotely resembles theirs! And can we have the them from Top Gun as well if it's going all 80s?

Think their leaderboards are a bit buggered though. Some people have found a glitch to get 999,999,999 points on the arcade section.
  • Hi-scorez aren't very rock & roll.

Unless it's, like, score and then get high.
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    This is a rock game, you don't score til you score.
    At my present skill level I couldn't impress a fat nympho if I was the last man on earth :(
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    A friend has offered this to me for super cheap. Is it any good. 

I played guitar from 14 until about 26 but I've barely touched it since (around 8 years....Jesus). No idea why I stopped and I've been thinking about dusting off my guitar for a while, but never do. Seems this might give me a reason to get back on it. 

Worth a punt for 20squids with the USB thingy, or is it mainly for beginners?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    A friend has offered this to me for super cheap. Is it any good.  I played guitar from 14 until about 26 but I've barely touched it since (around 8 years....Jesus). No idea why I stopped and I've been thinking about dusting off my guitar for a while, but never do. Seems this might give me a reason to get back on it.  Worth a punt for 20squids with the USB thingy, or is it mainly for beginners?

360 or ps3?
    if ps3 id take it of you for a bit more if you dont like it.
    profit and free trial. :)

• Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    ali theres loads of dlc today according to psblog.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!