Rocksmith
  • They tend to be patient 'cos you're paying them, my Piano teacher is a said as there are only so many time the average human could listen to the first 16 bars of Fur Elise being mashed up in an hour.
    Kow wrote:
    Learning other people's music is a great way to learn technique. Far better than having some halfwit sit and explain things to you. With rock music anyway.

Yeah, they usually use songs to explain stuff though, like (shudder) that Oasis song (don't look back in anger.) for the Pentatonic scale, specifically its application in the solo. Detest the song but I can still play it to this day, would never have done a solo before that.
  • Another limitation this could run into is tunings. A lot of rock and metal uses alternate tunings such as drop C or D, D sharp, D and C standard (almost all Van Halen)etc. I suppose they could just get you to retune but I'm damned if I'm trying to set up a Floyd Rose for alternate tunings just to play one song!

Not going to stop me buying it, though  : )
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    The only tuning I've ever had to do in the game was drop D. They use it on Soundgarden and I think Queens of the Stone Age. It really is a non-issue. Takes all of 5 seconds.
  • Not with a floating trem it doesn't! It takes about an hour! Might have to block the trem with a pack of cards!

Been watching the videos as well and it seems that the guitar fretboard at the bottom of the screen is actually opposite to normal tab? The bottom string is the high E? That's going to confuse my brain!
  • You can get those twiddly things now which drop the low E down to a D with a twiddle of the twiddly thing.

Edit: these - they're not called twiddly things at all.
  • You jumping on this piece of software, you?
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    Yeah its the opposite of tab but you can flip it which is what a decent-at-guitar friend did and suggested I do.
  • Brooks wrote:
    You jumping on this piece of software, you?

Me? Nah, my guitaring's all unelectric still.
  • Yeah its the opposite of tab but you can flip it which is what a decent-at-guitar friend did and suggested I do.
    Excellent, I'm in!
    krs wrote:
    You can get those twiddly things now which drop the low E down to a D with a twiddle of the twiddly thing.

You can, but they only work on a non floating bridge, annoyingly. EVH has his bridge flat to the body so the whammy can only go down. Changing string tension doesn't affect it's position. Doing it on a floating trem means losing tension, all the other strings going sharp and the bridge sitting at a weird angle.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ali wrote:
    Great idea but the track list is gash. I don't actually want to play any song they list.

Aye, I was so geared up for Rock Band 3 until it had nothing for me. I wanted to get their keyboard for a bit of '80s synth goodness...

I would play Same Skies now and again because it's Marr, but that's all from that lot. I've said before that I won't be happy until these things are linked to a proper online store. I used to visit one of the Russian ones for tracks at 11 or 12p each. It wasn't the price, though, but the range. No iTunes-alike has ever matched it for range.

Even if they only had a performer's best-known album, it was rare to draw a complete blank.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    AllofMP3, that was it. You were able to choose from a selection of formats and qualities, and there was no DRM.

I bought £5 cards through PayPal.
  • Well, bought it and , so far, impressed! it's ability to track notes is surprisingly good, with one proviso...too much latency. There's a good 150-200mS of latency in there. It seems to be trying a bit too hard with the amp and effects simulations as well as note tracking and the result is that slight but annoying delay. Haven't found anywhere in the options to flip the note table or have it written as tab which is disappointing but not a deal breaker. Menus are a bit perfunctory and the learning options could be a bit friendlier as well. Haven't found anywhere to just scroll slowly through a song without having to play it. I'm also not convinced this is complete beginner friendly. It uses a lot of terms that most non players would be left in the dark about. However, all that said and done, I still really like it. Just wish the DLC was actually on the store. Only a fraction of it is listed so far, and most of it is Blink bloody 182. Hurry up Ubisoft, I want to play the Final Countdown!
  • To have latency is a pretty big issue though surely? Like, game-breaking?
  • I have this on PS3 and don't have anywhere near 200ms latency. Are you using HDMI for audio?

Flipping the notes is the main menu options.
  • Yup, HDMI. Is there a better way? I just adjusted the display latency to counter it on the note scale. Not really interested in it as a game, more as a teaching aid. And, yup, found the inverted scale option, thanks.
  • Did adjusting the display latency help?

I know this was an issue with Dj Hero but it depended massively on the user and most fixed it by changing settings.
  • HDMI increases the lag, they recommend using an analogue connection for audio.
  • That's a pain in the bum. This is why consoles should still have audio outs instead of integrating everything into one AV slot.
  • My brother just txt me and told me he bought this, so will be giving it a go tommorow night, cant wait!
  • It's great fun. One complaint I had, the track listing, is actually a moot point now. It's good fun having different songs to play that you wouldn't even consider normally! Just need some more DLC options now.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Saw this in Game. They want 90€ for it, for some reason.
  • How much are games normally in €
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They can hit 70 sometimes, which is an absolute rip off considering the average wage here. 90 seems to be some kind of joke. I'm not even sure the necessary cable is included and if it is, it's certainly not worth the extra price.

Edit: It includes the cable. Still way overpriced.
  • Yeah was gonna say it prob has the cable. It can be found here, online for about £50-£55. So yeah I guess €90 is steep thinking about it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ach, games here are way overpriced in general but almost 100€ for a game is a joke.
  • Any way you can buy from UK based websites?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah I could. I don't want it anyway. I was just shocked by the price.
  • The cable is included in the package. It doesn't work without it. In all honesty, £15 for a DA convertor is cheap! Just a bit annoying you can't use your own as I have a Line 6 Toneport gathering dust. As for it being a game, I wouldn't class it as such. It's a bloody good teaching application, as long as we get a Rockband flow of DLC.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    i need this.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Ali wrote:
    It's a bloody good teaching application, as long as we get a Rockband flow of DLC.

Hasn't it been out for ages in America already? What's the DLC flow been like since then?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!