FTL - new ace PC game
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cloaking is so useful against the boss. In the first stage you can use it to avoid his missile barrage at the start of the fight or to give your shields a chance to recharge later on. During the second and third stages, just look out for the words 'Power Surge Detected' to flash up on your screen and get ready to avoid a lot of damage. Even just level one cloak is enough. In fact, for the later stages it's actually better as it ends faster and starts recharging faster.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Little point to upgrading cloak for that reason. Though I feel it'd be op by ftl standards if upgrading it kept the duration the same but improved recharge.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @pantyfire: I just beat the boss for the second time today.

:D
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Just got to the penultimate sector. Been close to death several times and I'm nearly out of fuel, so many ups and downs. Epic stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I wrote:
    @pantyfire: I just beat the boss for the second time today.

:D

...and that makes three. That must be my most successful day of ftling yet. Three victories and two new ships unlocked. Set phaser to smug.
  • Can't hear you.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I DID IT. I FUCKING DID IT. FUCK YOU GAME. 

I literally stood up and punched the air. 

Kinda underpowered in the end. 
    2x Burst lasers mkII
    1x Breach mkII
    1 Gleive but never used it on the boss, you just don't have time to charge it. 
    Cloak L1
    Max shields
    Near max dodge
    No drones, no teleporter. 

One thing I nicked from a guide that no one mentioned here is, at the very end pump scrap into systems that need a damage buffer even if you can't power them, just spend the scrap on the next level and that will take damage when hit before the bars you are actually powering and using/that are vital.
  • Oh and...
    No damage from boss L1. 
    Took my time surgically taking out his systems and little biddy men, left about 3 alive. 

Second level, I don't think I took much damage at all, maybe 3-5. 

Third level, by far the easiest. Only 2 crew alive so one teleported over to me and he got stomped by my Rock crewman, that left one poor sod to try and juggle the entire boss ship by himself. It's quite pleasing to see him running around trying to repair shit. 
    I nearly screwed up tho because he had a slither of health left and there were still 5 bars of hull on the enemy ship and he very, very nearly died before I got those bars, if he died I would apparently be in the shit with the boss AI taking over?

Didn't lose any crew on my ship and I didn't even see what my hull was in the end as it was nothing to be concerned about.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    One thing I nicked from a guide that no one mentioned here is, at the very end pump scrap into systems that need a damage buffer even if you can't power them, just spend the scrap on the next level and that will take damage when hit before the bars you are actually powering and using/that are vital.

Was gonna mention that as the game told me to do it at the start today. Worked well, beat the boss for the third time ever. Had absolutely tons of scrap, pretty much maxed everything.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Most important augs to get (IMO) are the scrap recovery arm, or whatever it's called, and the long range sensors. It's all about grabbing as much salvage as you can.
  • Just had three goes with the stealth ship that starts with no shields. Ridiculously hard. First go didn't even reach the end of the first stage.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Stealth ship's tough but not impossible by any means. You do need a good start, though.

I completed a run with the Mantis layout B earlier. That ship is great fun. Four man Teleporter means loading up on Mantises and destroying crew. Top tip for the boss if you're attempting a boarding strategy: slaughter everyone except the guy manning the laser (immediately to the left of the cockpit). If you can take out the crew in the first stage, the rest should be a doddle as he can't repair anything so a boarding crew can get on board and take out shield unopposed. I say should, I wasn't able to take out the crew in stage one as the boss decided to hack my Teleporter. That was a highly frustrating battle. Once I was on to stage 2 I was golden.

Currently on sector 7 with the Slug Cruiser layout B. Not sure if I'll be in a position to take out the boss yet, but I've got one mantis boarding team and one rock plus the fire beam. Rock boarders plus fire weapons are awesome.

I'm also starting to like the charge laser/ion weapons. I've got one of each and they're proving great for battering through shields then pecking at systems.

And well done Panty.
  • Cleared it with the engi ship. 
    It's much better fun with that ship...with the set up I had it was almost cruel watching people panic onboard enemy ships. You can really overwhelm defenders with the engi ship. 
    Starting ion (this is outrageously OP, IN MY OPINION)
    Hull Smasher L2
    Some missile
    Attack drone L1
    Attack drone L2
    I can't overstate the importance of dumping excess scrap into systems as a damage buffer. 

I am reaching Yoss tier.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Got to the boss on my 38th attempt. Got shafted.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    I am reaching Yoss tier.

You're getting closer. Although, I have now completed the game with every A layout and every B layout except for the Stealth and Lanius cruisers. Excepting the fact that I'm yet to unlock the Crystal Cruiser, although that should be a great deal easier now I have the Rock C layout available.

I will have to move up to normal difficulty at some point. I just like the idea of having lots of ships to choose from when I do.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bastard Ancestry bastard Crystal Cruiser unlock quest bastard.

It's time I got some sleep.
  • if you need any tips drop me a PM.
    WINKYFACE
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wahey! Ancestry and Crystal Cruiser unlocked!
  • Glad I could help.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I couldnae done it without you.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm sorry Yoss but your street cred took a mortal blow once you admitted playing on Easy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How many ships have you unlocked?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Just one. The Normal Attempter.
  • Finally beat the boss with the stealth ship. 

Was very rough going as my weapons were pretty poor, I had the two basic ones (small beam and dual laser) plus a flak cannon level I. Stealth weapons were a big help, maxed out shields and max cloak.  Flew through the final two sectors but it took AGES to penetrate the shields on the last three boss encounters.  Level 3 boss was eventually fun though, wiped out the two boarding parties which left the two fellas in the weapons room.  When I finally got through the shields the laser set fire to the shield room.  After that was a formality.

This game is tremendous, the iPad version is very well put together, but it's cost me many hours of sleep.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The B layout of the stealth ship is a bit of a beast if you can survive long enough to get shields. The Glaive Beam is seriously powerful.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Found out today that it's not a good idea to destroy a ship without beaming back any crew you've sent over.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's not a problem if you have a clone bay.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    Ooh not seen one of those. Did the first phase of the boss today, I reckon I'll crack it soon.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The clone bay's part of the AE content. If you haven't completed it yet, I'd stick to the standard edition. There's good stuff in the AE, but the additional permutations available reduce the likelihood of running across all of the things you need to have a decent setup for the boss.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!