Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I did too. FUTILE!

Man up Panty, it's about the journey not the victory. Have you hit the final sector yet?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Panty am quitter
  • Got to the final sector.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Well, that's the easy bit done, then.
  • I died about 40 times on the last boss alone, let alone getting to him, and then when I finally did beat it I had almost full health...  it comes down to strategy and more importantly luck on the journey to the boss.  

Are you playing on normal or easy?  sounds daft but seriously get schooled on easy as normal is fucking riddick hard let alone trying hard mode....
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I died about 40 times on the last boss alone, let alone getting to him, and then when I finally did beat it I had almost full health...  it comes down to strategy and more importantly luck on the journey to the boss.  

Are you playing on normal or easy?  sounds daft but seriously get schooled on easy as normal is fucking riddick hard let alone trying hard mode....

Yup.
  • Well this is awesome. Could turn into a total timesink...
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Playing on easy, you see, I don't think any game is a good game if the planets have to align fortuitously for you to beat it. I should lose any game because of my personal faults. 
    People will argue that that's the point of the game, or it's all about the journey. 
    Gotta say the journey is a little repetitive. 

I'm enjoying it though, but the moment I say 'what's the fucking point' will come.
  • The luck element really just means you're playing at a slightly random difficulty, not that it becomes unbeatable. It seems less important as you get better, I don't believe I've ever had a run where I couldn't have won if I'd played well enough.

If I've been playing it a lot, I won't fail to get to the boss and most of the time I'll beat it (on easy, at least). If not, well...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Agree with that Panty, you can have all the tactics worked out, but it depends on getting the right gear at the right time.

Still a great game though, and it must have been tough to balance given the options available too you.
  • If your tactics rely on getting certain gear, your tactics are flawed.

pantyfire wrote:
    the moment I say 'what's the fucking point' will come.

This is true for all games that are designed to be played over and over, no?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    If your tactics rely on getting certain gear, your tactics are flawed.

That's utter horseshit, surely. Otherwise it would be possible to win with the starting set up. You need the right gear to win, if you don't get it you're fucked.

• The key word is "certain". Tactics need to be malleable enough to adapt to the gear you find. The drops are often enough that, outside freak conditions, you'll always get enough to win.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Again, horseshit. How can a random selection of drops, no matter how numerous, always be enough to guarantee a win? It just doesn't happen.
  • It's called balancing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Random drops are random.
  • Hence

AJ wrote:
    outside freak conditions

Probabilities, yeah?

Anyway, I'm going to try and play Pokémon without getting bored again then go to sleep.
  • Fun game, but the spikes in difficulty turn it from being a "must complete" to a "quick game every now and then" for me. Love the set-up, controls, the look etc. Just not loving the lack of a learning curve. Not into searching through websites to find out the best way to deal with invaders and all that. 

If I cant learn how to beat a game from the game itself its not for me (possibly why Dark Souls didnt grab me). Dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with searching for a few tips now and again but I get the feeling I need to do more research to get far with this and, well, fuck that.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Fucking anti-drone drones... The fact there's a gun that literally launches rubbish at your opponent makes up for it, though. This AE stuff makes it notably more difficult.

Dave, you can learn how to beat the game from the game itself - I did. I imagine Dark Souls is the same.
  • Probably true - just got the feeling from what I did read that to get anywhere in Dark Souls you needed to research a lot. FTL isnt do bad as game time is short enough that you can learn through trial and error. Just cant ever see myself putting in enough time to get the most out of it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I don't think anyone here's going to put in enough time to get the most out of it; most of us are still playing on easy after all this time and they've just introduced a hard mode. I did find it helps a lot to talk about runs here; people to bounce thoughts of and suggest things to try.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    A mate bragged about completing it on normal for months before I found out he did it on easy first for the Fed Cruiser and cheesed nearly everything with the lance.
  • Kind of agree with what AJ said about there generally being enough stuff to get through the game if you have the correct strategy and visit enough nodes.  Meaning your strategy needs to adapt to the loot rather than the other way around.

It doesn't work for me, I've only finished it twice I think, both times with a largely brute force approach enabled by the weapon pre-igniters.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I finished Easy last night for the first time with the Torus. By the end I had two Ion Blast II's for shield and weapon locking and a laser drone for damage. Slow and steady!

Unlocked a bunch of ships too. Got two fancy ones for some reason. One was from a storyline I was doing, not sure about the other one.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • You get one the first time you beat the boss. Others come from stories and those achievement things.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The story lines can be quite hard if you pick the wrong response, it can potentially take 3 goes and chance before you come across it again and I found it impossible to keep track of them all- plus ones you've completed and got a ship from still appeared, or they used to.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Did anyone else get a free base ship unlock with the upgrade? I didn't have the Mantis one before, but do now.
  • Got to the final boss. 
    Cloak, zap, fight fires, cloak, zap, fight fires...die.
  • Sooo, this ipad version is like crack. Tasty, tasty crack.
    The temptation and ease of cheat (reload a stashed save) on PC/Mac meant I was often a dirty cheater, but can't do that on ipad - plus it launches so quickly (what with not having to launch and auth with steam) that it's straight in and out, no messing.
    I do prefer the interface when playing on laptop, mostly because of quick access to weapons and, more importantly, Pause being spacebar so it's much easier to hit in a panic!
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    They should add a "Shake pad in fit of panic to pause" option.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!