Boom, headshot! The Counter Strike: GO Thread
  • I got this, but lag is definitely an issue. It's borderline making this a regret purchase but when you get a lag free game,  it's so, so good. Dropping to crouch and getting a FAMAS burst in to some dude's mug is amazeballs. As is every moment of every Arms Race game. 

Pretty sure the XBLA version is doomed in the long run but I think my own gaming pc won't be too far off, so I can always buy it again.
  • Knight wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    I tried again and it still sucks balls. Pumping bullets into people till the clip empties and they still kill you and have near 100% health.
    .        Yeah unless you've got lag issues in every game you're shooting wrong. Little tip, shooting when you're moving is a bad idea. You're playing a game with no auto aim and unforgiving recoil, killing people is hard. Nexx i haven't seen you on this yet, if I buy it you'll be playing right?

Yeah this game has quite an 'unrealistic' (what the fuck do i know...) spread when running and shooting and it isnt visualised with an appropriate animation so it takes a little while to learn how to shoot well.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I never run and shoot.

Lack of down the sights is unforgivable in this day and age imo.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There seem to be a few people here happy to believe that there can't possibly be any lag in this and that it must somehow be Mod's fault. These people are being silly.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Lack of down the sights is unforgivable in this day and age imo.

Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpg
  • Lack of down the sights is unforgivable in this day and age imo.

Nothing makes aiming down the sights intrinsically better. There are benefits to it of course, but there are also lots of disadvantages. In fact, much of what makes Counter Strike such a hard as nails game (and so popular) is in its aiming system, which would be lost if you copied COD.

Who believes there can't possibly be any lag? That'd be dumb.
    GT: Knight640
  • I can't see the disadvantage to including aim down sights. Most of the argument against it seems to be based on tradition and not-COD.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Are there any differences between this and the old game(s) or is it just the same thing with newer graphics.
  • I_R wrote:
    I can't see the disadvantage to including aim down sights. Most of the argument against it seems to be based on tradition and not-COD.

Sight aiming makes aiming easier and it slows down the game.
  • I_R wrote:
    I can't see the disadvantage to including aim down sights. Most of the argument against it seems to be based on tradition and not-COD.
    Don't the CS guns that have sights/scopes have aiming down the sights?
    As in the sig/aug and the sniper rifles?

As in, it's a specific design intention for not all of the guns to have iron-sights aiming, and only give scoped aiming for guns with scopes, which are more expensive or balanced out in other ways.
  • Knight wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    Sight aiming makes aiming easier and it slows down the game.
    Playing with a pad I'd imagine most people need easier aiming and a slightly slower pace. Exactly porting a PC title seems like a folly to me these days.
  • Oh we're talking about console only? I thought mod was making a generic point about all FPS games. But anyway, considering the dumbing down of the FPS genre of which COD is the poster boy, I really don't think we need to worry that a console FPS game might be quite hard. In fact, it's the attraction for lots of people.

Of course, Halo works perfectly well without sight aiming. Do we really want every game to be a COD clone, don't we usually complain about that?
  • Yeah, sorry, should have been clearer. I can understand them wanting to keep the PC version as it was. They've got a huge community and e-sports, major changes probably weren't on the cards.

I don't really see aiming down the sights as 'dumbing down' though, it might be a crutch, but it's probably a necessary one for pad players on games like this. As for everything being the same, the apparent failure of this on consoles is only going to make that worse.
  • I wasn't saying down the sight aiming is itself dumbing down necessarily, just that COD is the king of dumbed down shooters and copying cod all the time will just lead to all games being dumbed down.

Either you port the game as close as possible to the PC version and so don't make major revisions like cod esque down the sights aiming or you don't port the game at all imo. As CS:GO stands on console it's not actually too hard, not if you have the patience to put a bit of effort and time into it and don't just assume you'll be able to join your first game and immediately start getting kills. The problem with it is the lack of support it'll recieve from Valve, not the aiming system.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Did CoD touch you in a private place and threaten to kill you if you told anyone?

There's room for games in-between the 'dumbed down' CoD (it isn't, but let's go with it anyway) and the somehow leet games you think are the only true test of a man's will to succeed.

I always think of aim down the sights as a tactical decision to get a more accurate aim vs the time it takes to do that. As opposed to hip-firing.

It's the games without that choice that I think of as the dumbed down ones.
  • You seem to be annoyed that Counter Strike is Counter Strike mod. Is there room for a game somewhere between CoD and CS? Sure. But do you change a game that has worked and been popular for decades to fill that gap? Not all games need to add new features and innovate every generation, some gameplay mechanics are just timeless and don’t need to be screwed with. Just look at Halo for an example of a game where the gameplay experience was diluted by needlessly trying to add to it.

I wouldn’t say no to some more maps though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've got nothing against Counter Strike. I just think Valve (or rather Hidden Path) should let me play it.

Losing because the of lag/host is the absolute worst crime an FPS can commit. And that's before you even talk about the vagaries of the lobbies and voice chat.

I'd been looking forward to playing on a level pad vs pad playing field. Turns out in the majority of games I've had the playing field is anything but level.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I didn't have any bother with the aiming, no aim down sights was a bit of a shock at first but I don't think it's a big miss as I got used to it quickly. As Chump said up there, scoped rifles are available anyway.

Mod is right that all this talk of aiming systems is moot if the game lags though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm glad that there's no iron sights in this. Too many games try to be CoD and end up getting ignored, because everyone who likes CoD is (shock! horror!) playing CoD.

Nowt wrong with iron sights per se, but it wouldn't be Counter Strike with it.

I'm starting to see the connection weirdness. Was playing Demolition last night, in the house map where the terrorists are trying to blow open a safe on the top floor (apologies for not remembering the name). Once, I ran to a window, saw a CT guy standing in the middle of the room, unloaded a clip into his head, after which he promptly turned around and killed me, having lost barely a fifth of his health. In another game, the bank map (called "Bank", I think, in a fit of creativity) I unloaded two shotgun shells at point-blank (we were both in the safe/vault) and he barely even registered the hits.

Still, over all this is top fun, and I can see it sticking around for a while if Valve give it the proper TLC it deserves.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I've got nothing against Counter Strike. I just think Valve (or rather Hidden Path) should let me play it. Losing because the of lag/host is the absolute worst crime an FPS can commit. And that's before you even talk about the vagaries of the lobbies and voice chat. I'd been looking forward to playing on a level pad vs pad playing field. Turns out in the majority of games I've had the playing field is anything but level.

Apart from me and Nexx (when I've been in the same games as him) not experiencing anything like the lag you apparently are (and when we do we leave), I'm completely with you on this. The lobby system, party search and laggy games are a disgrace. But the whole reason we are having this conversation is you said something stupid about the game mechanics. If you'd stuck to things that are actually a problem there wouldn't have been an issue.

I'm playing classic competitive demolition exclusively, could it be that other people are having problems with lag in different game modes? Trying to work out why I'm having very, very few lag issues when others are having loads, especially as I've been playing a lot since I got it on Saturday.
  • Yeah I’ve played quite a bit over the past week and haven’t really had many lag related issues. When I first started playing I thought that there were some hit detection issues that must have been caused by lag. However now that I’ve played more I’ve realised that I just had a poor understanding of the shooting mechanics, the game doesn’t do a great job of communication just how crazy the bullet spread gets when you’re spraying.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I unlocked the Spray and Pray award last time I played. Go me.
  • Just played with a guy who had the most hilariously deep voice and hoarse voice I've ever heard. It was better than Face's. His voice was so good it was carrying Nexx to a perfect record (as in 16 rounds, no deaths) before the opposition cruelly voted for a restart.

I really, really hope Valve give this some tender loving care (starting with fixing the party searching), because this is actually really good.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It is rather special. I agree about party searching, it really needs to make sure you're in the same team with your mates if at all possible.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • That guy was awesome, most amazing voice ever.  He was doing some good role playing too with the coughing in the smoke and feigning injury stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nexx wrote:
    He was doing some good role playing too with the coughing in the smoke and feigning injury stuff.

Reminds me of this.

Anywho, when are we going to tell Face you guys are voice cheating on him?
  • Despite being a completely different control system to the pc version this still has that dynamic going for it whereby when you're 'on' you can't seem to miss the head. Not much more satisfying than seeing that headshot symbol come up in the corner of your screen 2 or 3 times in one round. I've reached the stage now where I can actually try and aim for the head rather than desperately hoping some of my bullets manage to make contact somewhere. Anyway, still having lots of fun.
  • Anyone playing this on PC? I find myself playing it for a short period most days but I cant find many decent servers. Anyone got a list/link?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'm on 360 I'm afraid. Someone help this man out, this game deserves more love.
  • The search within the game is dire (seemed to be the case with 1.6 and Source too). Just been looking on some server websites trying a load of ip's but none connect. Fucking sakings.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!