Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I shit
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Let me tell you, I am extremely gifted at sensing the page turn.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheShit!

Had an interview today, was a perfect fit for the job. I was just a bit shit on the day. Very frustrating, but happy enough where I am so no big loss.

I assume commiserations are in order for SG? Hopefully the zoom shit won’t be for too much longer if that’s the limiting factor.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • At least on Zoom the interviewers can’t judge you for scruffy shoes.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I assume commiserations are in order for SG? Hopefully the zoom shit won’t be for too much longer if that’s the limiting factor.

It's fine, but motivation is even harder when it's a person in a window on a screen. It'd probably help if I didn't have Slay the Spire open and stopped drinking coffee during the interview.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I mean, it depends entirely on what the interview is for.
  • poprock wrote:
    At least on Zoom the interviewers can’t judge you for scruffy shoes.

Shit, I knew I should’ve worn better shoes.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I mean, it depends entirely on what the interview is for.

Something computery, I think. They seemed almost perversely concerned about high stress levels, which is odd because they should be more concerned about the lack of them. It was some startup firm and the interviewer looked about 12.
  • One of my old pals is recruiting for a coder for his firm just now - high-end engineering tech, and he wants someone with a handle on machine learning. Any use? He’s a coder himself, so he should be a boss who at least understands.
  • Pm me the details?
  • Aye. I’ll see if I can find you a link.
  • Badgers who are teachers, or other types of school workers …

Do any of you work in schools that are part of a local ‘cluster’ arrangement? Do you know anything about them? Shared management across multiple nearby schools, etc?

I’m trying to understand how they function, for a tender I’m writing. Government info is opaque, to say the least.
  • Clusters don’t tend to be hard like that, more based on goodwill.

To give you an example, my school was in a local educational partnership, which had a memorandum of understanding in place to work collaboratively where possible and to help each other in times of need.

That could take the form of collective negotiations or tendering for something like a catering contract - where the price would reflect that maybe 7 schools are buying, as opposed to 1 or 2. Traditionally they would have separate budgets and you’d expect the contact to be signed by each school.

Nowadays, you’ll find fewer and fewer clusters, and more Multi-Academy Trusts (or MATs). Those fall under a single financial authority. They’ll have local budgets, but the money is coming in from the umbrella of the Trust. You could do a single contract in that structure.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any other questions.

Ps. I’m not a teacher, I’m a Chair of Governors.
  • I work in a school that is both in a cluster and a MAT. Syph has given a pretty damn good overview but if you want to know more, I might be able to help.
  • Thanks guys.

So … clusters/partnerships and the more recent MAT structures tend to be about combining purchasing power, rather than about sharing resources and/or staff?

Does that feel about right?
  • MATs are a result of declining leadership/oversight from the local authority.

It used to be Councils that had local management of schools, but it’s increasing a Trust structure with a CEO that acts like a Council would have, with limited oversight from a regional schools commissioner.

In a MAT you will get some shared resources, particularly around support services like finance and IT. In terms of teaching staff, that’s less common, but could happen. You could get an Executive Principal or Head operating across two schools, for example.

I’ve come across examples of collecting buying power in both clusters and MATs.

The main distinction between the two is governance. MATs are a legal entity and registered companies, etc. Clusters tend to be more casual bodies with local agreements.
  • Gotcha, that all makes sense.
    Syph79 wrote:
    You could get an Executive Principal or Head operating across two schools, for example.

Every heard of that actually happening? And if so, any idea of how it went down with the normal staff - like a lead balloon, or welcomed as helpful?
  • It happened at my school before and it’s likely to happen again soon.

Others on the forum that are Teachers may have a different perspective, but in my experience, lots of schools want support and appreciate good leadership. They want to do a good job, but sometimes it’s hard to see the wood for the trees.

Both occasions that we’ve had executive leadership across schools, it’s been to benefit from the additional help that person has brought to the school.

Sure, if the person was awful, then they’d hate it - but that’s less about the structure and more the person.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We don't have clusters like that in Edinburgh. We do in that we have catchment schools for secondaries but I've not heard of what you're describing before.
  • Just here to rant about the return of visiting hrs. Lovely to see but also extremely bloody annoying. No parking spaces, wheelchairs stolen and not returned, and countless "oh can you let me in the ward? oh why not????" incidents. LET ME DO MY JOB, PEOPLE.

and breathe
  • Give 'em the Gav drop
  • The face masks hide a lot of mouthed swearing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    BAH GARRAH ITS GAV FROM THE TOP ROPE
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    BAH GARRAH ITS GAV FROM THE TOP ROPE
  • OH MY GOD! HE JUST GAVE HIM THE PEOPLE'S PORTER!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • STRAIGHT THROUGH THE CHIROPRACTOR'S TABLE!
  • Thanks for the teaching chat guys, it’s really helpful. I’m not gonna bug you about it any further, that’s enough for me to go on already.

(Also, sorry I haven’t explained why I wanted to ask – it’s under NDA, or I would.)
  • CQJFqkF.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!