2023 - the worst year in gaming yet? (and it's only May!)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I blame the graphics and frame rate whores.

:-(
  • Ea Sports PGA is the best golf game of the past 10-15 years.

This has pretty average reviews from what I'm reading... and read reviews from a lot of different sources
  • HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER
  • monkey wrote:
    I heard Jon B is making A game.
    I may need to change my B to an A.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    JonA got eaten by a whale tho
  • Street Fighter 6 is out in a few weeks and it's actually good. So, 2023 is going to be a great year in gaming.
  • I think it will end up a good year between further releases and some patches.

Jedi Survivor is pissing me off a bit now though. The was another patch which seemed to add screen tearing to quality mode, either that or the area I was on was a bit borked.
    I did do an epic boss bit though. It's going to be a great game if they ever fix it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I think it will end up a good year between further releases and some patches.

Jedi Survivor is pissing me off a bit now though. The was another patch which seemed to add screen tearing to quality mode, either that or the area I was on was a bit borked.
    I did do an epic boss bit though. It's going to be a great game if they ever fix it.

I picked this up for the first time in a week last night. Only for 45 mins or so but I really enjoyed it. They’ve got a problem with the hdr though. It’s either washed out or too dark. Quite enjoying the game now I’m out of the first section though. Was just what I was looking for BUT Zelda is on the horizon.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    Ea Sports PGA is the best golf game of the past 10-15 years.

This has pretty average reviews from what I'm reading... and read reviews from a lot of different sources

And?
  • Sitting at 75 on Metacritic. That’s average?! Sounds decent to me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I thought the thread was about underwhelming releases, not necessarily outright bad releases. Why isn't every game amazing? It's 2023 where are the rocket cars and perfect games.
  • Got my eye on PGA Golf as it does sound good but generally speaking a 75 Metacritic does kind of represent a fairly average game as a rule of thumb these days, right? If a big game gets a Metacritic average of bang on 5.0 no-one's looking at that thinking 'that must be a perfectly average gaming experience!', surely?
  • That’s always been the way.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Bear with me now....we could play a game and judge if we like it ourselves rather than listening to someone else who's given it a score and might (definitely will) have different tastes to you.

Fuck a Metacritic in the eye.
  • '5 represents average' is just oldschool Edgespeak. For most publications anything under 6ish is a strong suggestion to avoid imoymmv.
  • Metacritic backlash is amusing to me. It's just a handy collection of reviews in one place. Read a few opinions, get a rough idea of whether you might like something, try it or avoid it. When games can cost up to £70 a steadfast 'I'll make my own mind up thankyouverymuch' stance is...a bit weird?

Edit: weird comes across as rude, sorry. Unusual.
  • I don't bother with review scores anymore because they aren't a fit for casual old me. That's not a complaint just a fact. I put it down to critics will play LOTS of samey shit so something needs to stand out where as for me a solid game that is well made but doesn't push boundaries might not come across as a bad thing. After a certain point most of edge tens became meaningless because I didn't want groundbreaking, I just wanted fun.

Basically, I have shit taste in games.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I wait for moot to play it, and then form the opposite opinion to his. It's the cheapest way.
  • I use a combo of this place, Jeff Gerstmann, Nextlander and Eurogamer.
  • My general metric:

Is it on gamepass? Beam me up!

Is it solo player? Count me in!

Smalldownload size? 3, 2, 1... let's begin!
    SFV - reddave360
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Metacritic backlash is amusing to me. It's just a handy collection of reviews in one place. Read a few opinions, get a rough idea of whether you might like something, try it or avoid it. When games can cost up to £70 a steadfast 'I'll make my own mind up thankyouverymuch' stance is...a bit weird?

Edit: weird comes across as rude, sorry. Unusual.

I don't buy £70 games, so I guess it's of less value.

Also, NO UR WIERD MOOT.
  • It's undeniable.

I guess GP does allow a lot more leeway when it comes to judging stuff first hand rather than basing an assumption on a consensus...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I just watch a 5 min clip of someone playing something and can usually get an idea if I'll like it or not. Or at least like the look and give it a try.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Although these days I only really play survival crafting games as AAAAAA games all seem like the same rethemed 3rd person collectathons. I like to relax by....erm...doing in game manual labour.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's undeniable. I guess GP does allow a lot more leeway when it comes to judging stuff first hand rather than basing an assumption on a consensus...
    It's time as well as money. If I can be pretty sure something's not worth bothering with based on some well-written reviews, it helps.
  • So much stuff is from templates of other things anyway. Eg PS4 Spider-Man is PS2 Spider-Man crossed with the Batman Arkham games. That’s your review. That’s all you need.
  • That’s what a game template might be but it doesn’t automatically mean it’s executed well. 

I mean saying something is a BotW clone doesn’t make it just as amazing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The only BotW clone I can think of is Immortals and that was a banger. You had to be there to witness the genshin impact of it.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tchia has elements of BoTW but I’ve not played enough to know if it’s a banger. Immortals was fun but got repetitive quick.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Got my eye on PGA Golf as it does sound good but generally speaking a 75 Metacritic does kind of represent a fairly average game as a rule of thumb these days, right? If a big game gets a Metacritic average of bang on 5.0 no-one's looking at that thinking 'that must be a perfectly average gaming experience!', surely?

PGA got those kinda scores as its one that grows on you. I'm fairly sure many went in expecting the pure arcade style of older Tiger Woods games, or a challenger to the 2k games.

It's neither, it's pure strategy. It's a completely different style of golf game. Par or under feels like a battle, and any errors are down to yourself. Huge, huge career, challenges, daily/weekly/monthly tournaments etc.

Everyone I know, myself included, were unsure at first. Several hours in it clicks, and I'm now about 80 hours into it. Its glorious. Playing it for 8-10 hours doesn't do it justice.

Similar to Football Manager reviews and other kinda games. You need multiple hours into them to see howbit truly is.

A lot of the reviews complained about lack of control over the ball etc. This improves as you play more and upgrade your golfer. It shows how shallow the reviews are with their gameplay length.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!