2023 - the worst year in gaming yet? (and it's only May!)
  • Oh yea, having experienced most running at 60fps and some at 120fps I agree that 30fps isn't really very good nowadays but in the grand scheme of things it's hardly the worst thing and doesn't make a game unplayable, just not as nice
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I say this as someone who bought The Sexy Brutale on the Switch.

Was it sexy?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • That's kinda my point though.
    This year isn't especially bad, people are just noisier than ever about it.
    This dips into sensationalism at times though, because content.
  • Oh yea, having experienced most running at 60fps and some at 120fps I agree that 30fps isn't really very good nowadays but in the grand scheme of things it's hardly the worst thing and doesn't make a game unplayable, just not as nice

Agreed and it depends on the game and genre. But there’s a difference between 30fps and whatever passes for a large number of Switch ports that run at “30” or Jedi Fallen Order on last gen base consoles.

Anyone going to war against the latter ones as unacceptable is not being clickbaity or courting outrage - they’re doing consumers a favour by not letting substandard products sell uncontested.

Agreed and it depends on the game and genre. But there’s a difference between 30fps and whatever passes for a large number of Switch ports that run at “30” or Jedi Fallen Order on last gen base consoles.

Anyone going to war against the latter ones as unacceptable is not being clickbaity or courting outrage - they’re doing consumers a favour by not letting substandard products sell uncontested.

I don't know if I agree with you because I just can't stand the whole influencer/YouTuber/clickbaity shite that gets put out there nowadays but then that's because I'm becoming a grumpy old man who hates things for little reason.
    I respect your opinion though and see your point
  • LivDiv wrote:
    That's kinda my point though.

Well, I’d argue this noisiness is for 2 reasons:

1. 30 was standard for the most part last gen, whereas a lot of players (no idea if it’s the majority) now want 60 above all else, even with graphical cuts
    2. More than once, companies have waited until close to launch to finally slip in stuff like “30 only”. It happened with Gotham Knights and it happened with Redfall and in both cases it was only revealed once people had hands on time for previews and it could no longer be hidden. That’s, er, real shitty.

• Standing up for consumers Vs sensationalism comes largely down to presentation and message I think.

Some people act like the Devs have killed somebody. I've seen more restrained reactions to terrorists attacks. When Devs start to get death threats because thickos have been whipped up into a frenzy by content creators that's beyond consumer rights.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Starfield is going to be good/bad. I also have a feeling it won't come out this year.

They can’t fuck it up or delay it again - stay true bruv
    The Forum Herald™
  • LivDiv wrote:
    That's kinda my point though.

Well, I’d argue this noisiness is for 2 reasons:

1. 30 was standard for the most part last gen, whereas a lot of players (no idea if it’s the majority) now want 60 above all else, even with graphical cuts
    2. More than once, companies have waited until close to launch to finally slip in stuff like “30 only”. It happened with Gotham Knights and it happened with Redfall and in both cases it was only revealed once people had hands on time for previews and it could no longer be hidden. That’s, er, real shitty.

Yea your second point is actually very spot on and that is genuinely unacceptable. It's a total failure to manage expectations until all the pre-orders are sold
  • Still not against my point though.
    The year isn't worse, people are just noisier about it.

LargeOOF.gif
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Still not against my point though.
    The year isn't worse, people are just noisier about it.
    That's not just in this industry though. Lots of YouTubers angry at everything
  • It's fair to say that this is the first console gen where 60fps (and higher) were pushed as a standard/likely feature of the gen jump.  If anything 'it's only 30fps?!' strikes me as more valid than the 'it's only 1152x640?!' stuff in 2007.
  • Feck frame rates. The point I was making is that we've never been paying more for less content. 70 quid games like Redfall, Dead Island and Jedi have a single player campaign length of less than 20 hours each? We're being ripped off. Again
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That's like 3 quid an hour. Very happy with that ratio compared to the 'this game takes 300 hours to complete' hyperbole which entails of fetch quests and rummaging in 8000 draws for scrap.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Remember that games are £70 now.

A lot of the anger re: Jedi Survivor seems to be about the PC version and I've seen actual normal people annoyed about it, not just content creators.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    That's like 3 quid an hour. Very happy with that ratio compared to the 'this game takes 300 hours to complete' hyperbole which entails of fetch quests and rummaging in 8000 draws for scrap.

I like rummaging in 8000 draws for scraps!
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Feck frame rates. The point I was making is that we've never been paying more for less content. 70 quid games like Redfall, Dead Island and Jedi have a single player campaign length of less than 20 hours each? We're being ripped off. Again

Sorry, can't agree. We paid huge prices for cart games in the 16bit era and most had basic features. 360 and ps3 games had high prices as well but back when the euro/ sterling/ dollar were worth way more. Most games have lots of content (not saying its all great or appeals to you but such is life)

Most things have gone up massively in price in the last few years, videogames have stayed fairly good value. Even 20 hours at 70 quid is about the price of a cinema ticket (3.50 per hour)

SFV - reddave360
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Feck frame rates. The point I was making is that we've never been paying more for less content. 70 quid games like Redfall, Dead Island and Jedi have a single player campaign length of less than 20 hours each? We're being ripped off. Again

£70 for the guinea pig version of a game that'll be a) fixed and b) cheaper a few months later is the real problem imo.  20hrs is more than long enough for most games I'm interested in.  I'm looking forward to Callisto Protocol, for example, but I wouldn't go anywhere near it if the campaign was 20hrs long.
  • That's like 3 quid an hour. Very happy with that ratio compared to the 'this game takes 300 hours to complete' hyperbole which entails of fetch quests and rummaging in 8000 draws for scrap.

Yeah I'd agree with this.
    20 hours of unique, worthwhile content vs 1000+ hours of filler or doing the same thing over and over aren't really comparable.

In overall value for money I think things are pretty good these days with the sub services. If you want every game day one then that sucks I guess.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The AAA mainstream game is the Hollywood fodder equivalent of gaming.

I tapped out on that shit long ago. To be honest I never really bought into it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I could live without AAAs but I couldn't survive without indies.
  • Ive had loads of good AAA experiences.

In a shock to the internet I'm even really enjoying Jedi Survivor. Plenty seemed to like Callisto Protocol (also came out last year) too. Dead Island 2 looks basic but fun enough.
    All three could be sat on to be cheaper and less buggy too.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Ive had loads of good AAA experiences.

Same (BotW, Odyssey, TLou2 and GoW 2018 spring to mind immediately), but in a fight to the death with indies AAAs are getting wrecked regardless, due to sheer weight of numbers.  A baker's dozen [8]s could take half a dozen [9]s and a [10] pretty easily.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: the AAA side of the industry, I think the popularity of the Switch covers a lot of the cracks because you've got Nintendo and their third parties able to pop out PS3-ish tier software on a regular basis while the rest of the industry grapples with PS5. I think it will be interesting to see what happens when Switch 2 comes out and the graphical standards start to raise to PS4-ish levels. It look ages for games to start coming through on PS4 and dev times started to raise to modern levels.

I reckon there are worse years for major games certainly ahead because eventually the sparse AAA release schedule is gonna cover the whole industry and not just the high-end devices.
  • What is needed in the AAA space is the stuff Epic have been adding for Unreal 5. The auto LODing, high quality adaptable asset librarys, Metahuman.
    Things that can streamline what has become a gargantuan development process.

Cut down on the repeated tasks to focus on creative and quality.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I was quite surprised when Digital Foundry said Jedi Survivor had been done on Unreal 4. I guess it just slightly missed the boat on 5? But I wonder if the performance would have been any different if it had been developed for 5.
  • I wanna be a Metahuman.

What does it involve?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I was quite surprised when Digital Foundry said Jedi Survivor had been done on Unreal 4. I guess it just slightly missed the boat on 5? But I wonder if the performance would have been any different if it had been developed for 5.

So was I, literally just looked it up.
    Unreal 5 only launched a year ago for production use so probably just too late to really benefit. If there is a third which seems likely I would have thought it would use Unreal 5.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!