The best level/section/track/moment
  • Sonic and Knuckles-Sonic 3:Getting all the emeralds, completing both games then fighting metal sonic.

I didn't even know you could do that, just watched it on Youtube.  Unless I've just forgotten about it, which is a strong possibility.  I think I only did the whole thing with all emeralds as Sonic (the final space level boss was cracking too).  Was a brilliant game in its full lock-on glory.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a level in Parodius 2 (Sega Saturn - its probably the same on Playstation) - its a fast scrolling level through a zig-zag section and the William Tell Overture kicks in at the start of the level - when I first experienced it I just couldn't believe I could get to play a game like it at home....

F-Zero X while its a ugly child - introduced two great changes - the energy bar that was depleted by collisions and use of the turbo boost - and also highlighting where your rival is in the overall standings - it produced some brilliant panicky bits when getting to the business end of a cup. Genius. Still hard to beat F-Zero X or GX with its big aggressive 30 vehicle pack and where the hell is the latest installment?

The first time you play WarioWare and your hands are trying to keep up with your brain which is trying to keep up with the game - you'll never get that feeling back again.

The sheer joy of Mario 64 (remember realising I could tip-toe past the sleeping snapper plants) and now Galaxy which is just bigger and better.

First time I played Doom 2 with PC speakers and heard the arachnotrons getting closer.

The first time I spotted a 2600 set up in a shop with Combat running - me, my bro and 2 cousins played it until we were chucked out
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Watched that stream live, Chopper easily the best moment I've witnessed, to be there must have been incredible.

• TheDJR wrote:
    Chrono Cross Swapping bodies with Lynx, it was like the JRPG version of Face/Off and completely unexpected.

And looks stunning. Don't know I could play it from start to finish these days (even though I do have a new copy), but I hammered that game when it came out.

Some great shouts throughout this thread:

Bioshock: I'd actually go the plastic surgeon section early on. Amaze.

Journey: the money shot level at the end is pretty amazing.

Dark Souls: While I agree with Jon re the trip down through blighty, the two things that stick out for me are 1. The first shortcut with the lift back down to firelink and the ladder to the first burg bonfire. Sums up the brilliant way they connect things throughout the game perfectly. 2. Seems weird to mention a cut scene, but the reveal of AL is IMMENSE. Certainly shook what I thought I knew about the game.

Also, brilliant shout from IR re BFBC2. That map is amazing, and pretty much covers all that is incredible about the game. In fact, the way those MP levels are structured is all about what Jon is talking about with his OP. The pay off of a new area after each cap is just brilliant. Heck, in a way, these levels would make for pretty cool SP levels, for the most part, and then they get taken to another level by being MP. Really wish this style of MP was implemented by more games. Halo Reach tried it's hand with Invasion, and it's quite good, but it's no Rush mode. I mentioned in the halo thread that I'd be over the moon with a Halo MP game that went the whole (wart)hog on Rush mode/Invasion.

SotC: I think my most memorable moments from this game were finding the areas that felt soooo isolated and huge. The desert in particular. Discovering the little canyon with the bull in it. Some of the plains in the lower section. Lovely game.

From halo:

Halo 2 Delta Halo: There's a run of levels in the middle that are as good as anything in the series. Looks amazing, plays amazing, hogs, tanks, the kitchen sink. Played this section to death.

ODST Lost Platoon: Still the best firefight map bungie ever did. Hogtastic.

Halo 3 The Ark and The Covenant: Delta halo on steriods. Everything that is good about SP/co-op halo.

With shout outs to various MP maps over the series that have been home to many great moments: Lockout, Midship, The Pit, Valhala etc.

Prince of Persia SoT: The only game I can think of, ever, that has done "now we take all your gear to make it hard for the final bit" well. That last section climbing the tower with no rewind etc is AMAZING.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Great talks on BFBC2, some of the best moments of my life playing that game, rush maps are absolutely sublime and I cant think of any I dont like, and the good ones, wow. Arica Harbour being a perfect example, sublime, exciting, intense concentration needed, and communication and teamwork and a euphoric closure to successfully attacking and defending, and exhausting too! Leaves the mind beautifully frazzled

Another for the hoverbike level of Contra 3, mindblowing, that game was an endless onslaught of unique spectacle after spectacle, and that bit was almost hilariously in absurd in how far you could take the concept of spectacle, jumping from missile to missile to destroy a gigantic enemy warship, crazy, in some strange way i find cod4 the nearest modern analogue before all the games that went after, production values through the roof, the idea of the videogame blockbuster where spectacle becomes everything and an enjoyment in itself

Damocles all over, erm, spose you had to be there

Gears Of War, left 4 dead and special Battlefield 1943 shoutouts for the most exciting and memorable moments in gaming and where i made fine friends with many of you wonderful folk

I spose there's gabillions really, and cheers for this thread its been a great read - That SF video i'll echo other sentiments! To be there would have been awesome
  • MGS3 the entire ending section from the bike chase to the boss battle. Still one of the best endings to a game I've experienced.

COD4: Flying in the big herculeas plane blowing the crap out of the enemy as they close in on your men. It looked so like the footage you see on the news and it was done in such a slick way that it was convincing. One wrong shot and it was mission over.

Also the sniper mission in COD4 was heart pounding from start to finish.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Oh, someone mentioned the last level of Rez. In fact, quite a few bits from Rez. What a game.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    SotC: I think my most memorable moments from this game were finding the areas that felt soooo isolated and huge. The desert in particular. Discovering the little canyon with the bull in it. Some of the plains in the lower section. Lovely game.

This. I also have very fond memories of lots of bits in Halo CE, but in particular when you first land on Halo (Installation 04 or whatever it is) as people have mentioned, and the final countdown rush to extraction. Exhilarating.

I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Portal 2's multiplayer.
    It
    Just
    IS!!!
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Just playing MGS3 again. This thing is so masterfully directed it's amazing. I don't even care that I'm only watching cutscenes.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Recently finished AC: Revelations. The game may just be ore of the same and the plot didn't grab me in the slightest, but the end section(s) let you be such a badass I've totally forgiven it.  Strolling through Arsenal as Ezio and in/out of the castle thing as Altair gives you a real sense of being the head of an order of kickass assassins.
  • I really can't wait for 3 after playing Revelations for a few hours at my Dad's. If they can tweak the controls and getcthecsetting right, it might end up being a generation favourite for me.
  • Are there any hands-on previews knocking about? From what I heard, it sounds like it's going to be as much of a departure from 2 and it's spin-offs as that was from the first one.

It's picked up enough accolades, so I'm feeling very hopeful. Pretty much the only upcomming boxed game I'm excited about, I think.
  • I'm glad to see Prince of Persia: Sands of Time getting some mentions.  I really think it should be up there as one of THE all time greats, such a perfectly well rounded package.  Since others have mentioned the amazing gameplay, i'll go for the cool narrative, with the prince narrating and explaining away your deaths "no no, that's not how it happened", but particularly the 'twist' towards the end that links you to the very start of the game...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • After last night I'm going to say the descent into the Northern Crater probably deserves a mention as one of the best finales to a game. It's a great mix of atmosphere, music, tough combat and a great climax to your 40 hour odd long chase of Sephiroth.

FFVII might be too fondly remembered by a large portion of people but the last area was magic, for a 13 year old kid the bizarre and trippy backgrounds were really memorable.

Also, Chapter 16 on Bayonetta. Nails fight up a tower against nearly every enemy you've faced so far, topped off with a ludicrous David Bowie lookalike boss battle which involves levitating buildings, satellite cannons and lipstick headshots. Infinite climax!
  • I'll always remember driving along that bit of track on Gran Turismo where the trees grow over the road and the sun comes through - beautiful

• Flicking through gaming memories in my mind, Astrea's music and that whole area in Demon's Souls is what I latched on to. Just so creepy, atmosphereic, and everything leading you to that point making you feel a huge battle is about to happen, then the sickening realisation that everything is not well down there.
  • Is that the bit with the plague babies?
  • Goldeneye

We used to play a custom game mode we affectionately titled FAT BOY! Whereby one player played as Valentin but with a maximum health handicap, and everyone else had to co-operate and do their best to take that fat bastard down. Had to play on Facility and use the Golden Gun weapons set, and incidentally the Golden Gun was the only weapon FAT BOY! was allowed to use. Would often end up with FAT BOY! hiding in the toilet area clutching the Golden Gun with his stubby, chubby fingers, fighting a constant barrage of people barging in and trying to mine his ass. Was hilarious.
  • ZMM wrote:
    Would often end up with FAT BOY! hiding in the toilet area clutching the Golden Gun with his stubby, chubby fingers, fighting a constant barrage of people barging in and trying to mine his ass. Was hilarious.

Erm
  • That reminds me of the time at Uni when my friend said the first geologists were canal diggers and quick as a flash I said "What, with a silent C? Think about it" and walked off to the bar and everyone thought I was comedy gold and thus was the making of tigerswiftly.
  • Tempy wrote:
    After last night I'm going to say the descent into the Northern Crater probably deserves a mention as one of the best finales to a game. It's a great mix of atmosphere, music, tough combat and a great climax to your 40 hour odd long chase of Sephiroth. FFVII might be too fondly remembered by a large portion of people but the last area was magic, for a 13 year old kid the bizarre and trippy backgrounds were really memorable.
    The opening of FFVII will always stick out for me, in a time where anything vaguely cinematic in a game was still amazing. The way it went from cutscene to action, like the train pulling into the station at the start, and then that shot where the camera pans out from Aeris all the way up through the city and into the clouds and then the title appears. Loads of game have done it since, but then it was so cutting edge.
  • Yeah, I can remember it now as well. Starts in the Lifestream (which of course you have no idea about then). The whole thing is brilliant, even after the title appears and then then you follow the train as the music winds down and the Mako Reactor music starts. I wouldn't be averse to a remake of VII now I think about it. HD it up, improve the music, sort out the naff translation and some of the shittier combat mechanics and wonky pacing and it could be really good.
  • Chase HQ (amiga 500). First time I completed it, was a Sunday morning and it was the first time i'd completed level 3, I just was playing out of my skin and went on to complete it. I remember not wanting to turn off the ending screen. I ran around the house calling my sisters to come and see (who couldn't give a fuck).

Tetris; First t-spin. I was always a good tetris player when I was young but didn't get into competitive play until about 4 years ago. I didn't understand why people would do t-spins instead of tetris'. When I realised that it was worth more points etc I started figuring out set ups. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing "back to back t-spin" pop up with the sound when you interlink the T.

Mario 64: The first steps, tip toeing as I gently leaned forwards on the analogue stick.

Halo 3 pretty much had me draw dropping as i'd not played the first two so the cut scenes were like O_O
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thinking about it - SNES Mario Kart was a bit of slap in the face when you first saw it. It seems obvious now but pulling a platform game into a driving game was such a new idea. The way the Mario Universe assets are reused in that game is genius - it all seems so obvious now and all the luke warm copies have taken the shine off it - but a subgenre was born.

My mates felt that it was like playing a cartoon.....that smacking noise when you got hit by a shell was brilliant....innocent times indeed.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm with Stormy on Halo1. Walking out of the crashed escape pod for the first time was stunning. The quietness, beauty and draw-distance blew me away. It was escapism of the highest order, and it's unlikely I'll ever feel like that playing a game again.
  • Jet Set Radio - the whole fucking game
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    retro74 wrote:
    I'll always remember driving along that bit of track on Gran Turismo where the trees grow over the road and the sun comes through - beautiful
    Trial Mountain, it is indeed lovely and made even more stunning in 3D...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!