The best level/section/track/moment
  • Halo
    The sense of sheer wonder after crash landing on the anomaly(heh). The beautiful scenery with Halo itself stretching off into the distance was nothing short of jaw dropping, and then "Warning! I've detected multiple Covenant drop ships on approach..." *gulp!*

Portal
    Escaping from a thorough baking and figuring out how to use your portal skills outside of the test chamber environment. 
  • Portal 2

Two words. Gladis - potato.

Batman: Arkham Arsylm

The Scarecrow switch around sequence when you were the inmate. In fact, any of the scarecrow sequences.

The Darkness

Jenny's death and Jackies subsequent suicide. One of the most emotional moments I have ever encountered in a game.

Gears of War

The first moment you chainsaw someone. Awesome stuff.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Left 4 Dead

Rather than the first 4-man escape, or the first moment of relief after a narrow run to a safe room, I think it's the first time you throw caution to the wind and run back out of the safe room to recover a teammate.  

There's no elation like making it back in with him limping in front of you after overcoming frankly ridiculous odds, especially when the game makes the concept of leaving the safe room seem like total suicide.
  • Left 4 Dead 2

Hard Rain (versus)

You've collected the fuel and are heading back, standing facing the wheat field... and the rain comes.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Gunstar Heores

Seven Force.  Treasure make the Megadrive sing.  All rattling along at breakneck speed, from wall to ceiling and back again, laughing in the face of rubber stamp minecart stages.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Sticking with boss fights, I was a massive fan of the guardians of both the forest and underwater levels.  What iconic videogame bosses should be - epic battles to look forward to, neither cheap nor too easy to dispatch until you've learned their patterns, and another example of developers wringing minor miracles out of the host system. 

Final Fantasy VII

Gold Saucer.  My first turn based RPG iirc.  The amusement park came as a welcome respite from the mounting oppression of turn-based battles.  In hindsight it was light on content, but I loved this entire section.  Tifa, I choose you.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The final dungeon, with rooms you rotate manually, linking doorways together and forcing you to carefully plot your path.  As is the norm in Zelda titles, the last dungeon requires mastery of your complete toolset, rather than just your most recently acquired item.  Probably the highlight of an already exceptionally good game.
  • Spot on with Gunstar Heroes :-)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Yeah, board game Gunstar level is amazing. Such an amazing game.
  • G.MAN any game with grenades. 

Comedy genius verging on genocide for any Xbox love party members.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Darkness

Jenny's death and Jackies subsequent suicide. One of the most emotional moments I have ever encountered in a game.

Fantastic moment. The Darkness is still I think one of the most underated games of this gen. The interrogation scene with you strapped to a chair is also quite something. The voice actors pull of phenomenal jobs.

Zone of the Enders 2

The battleship segment everyone remembers. Then the great Zakat!
  • Team Awesome on OpFlash again. After G's creative truck getaway had to be aborted, it was literally just four men absolutely legging it to the extraction point down a hill from the pursuing PLA. The two wheeled truck crash was just perfectly unscripted, and was a fantastically tense end to the mission.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Team Awesome on OpFlash again. After G's creative truck getaway had to be aborted, it was literally just four men absolutely legging it to the extraction point down a hill from the pursuing PLA. The two wheeled truck crash was just perfectly unscripted, and was a fantastically tense end to the mission.

I honestly think I'll still remember this fondly in 30 years time. Such a great example of why videogames are great, but also a reminder that very few games can provide these moments.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Battlefield 2 was a trove for me and mates back in 6th form. Me and five other mates hogging a Blackhawk was fun for the whole evening.
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    Mario Kart DS/3DS - Waluigis Pinball. For sheer spectacle this is the best Mario Kart track ever.
    Final Fantasy VII - Gold Saucer. Its like Disneyland, of the future, with no queues.
    Resident Evil 2 - Opening section (the streets). It genuinely felt like the world had gone to hell.
    Counter Strike Source - The Office. I've put days into this one level.
    Hitman Contracts - The Hotel. I can go on a rampage, I can break into peoples rooms or I can have a heart attack when I see a freakin ghost!
  • Bioshock: The entire opening sequence was sublime, but the reveal of Rapture as you descend in the bathysphere was magical. The sense of wonder as you pass by the schools of fish, listen to Andrew Ryan's monologue, and take in the breathtaking city, is unmatched.

Dark Souls: Landing in Lordran for the first time. For a game that revels in it's lack of a soundtrack, the haunting music at Firelink shrine will be forever burned into my memory. The game is largely revered due to the combat and demand for patient, accurate swordwork, but for me the dark and broken setting is what really stands out. Much like Jon, that descent to the second bell was standout. You uncover layer after layer of decay as you find your way down to the putrid Blight Town, only to find you really can continue into the forgotten heart of the world if you so choose. A wonderful game.

Sonic 2: The first time you became Super Sonic and could tear through a level with ridiculous ease. Unfortunately, being the game it was, you could often kill yourself by falling into a bottomless pit of into one with no escape (Mystic Cave Zone). But when it worked? Amazing scenes.

Baldur's Gate: Meeting Montaron and Xzar on your way to the Friendly Arms Inn. Being able to stumble off the beaten track and explore locales far too dangerous for your level, combined with the wonderfully realized characters you meet so early on in the game, made this an adventure like no other. It always seemed likely you would stumble across a haunted archaeological dig, a gem thief with an aptitude for sculpture, or some other bizarre happening. The world felt alive. Also, Tiax.
  • Ninja Gaiden 2

Chapter 10 - The stairs. A stand out moment in an otherwise slightly underachieving game. You run towards this ancient temple and find yourself climbing these huge stone steps. A few ninjas start coming from the top, which is nothing special, but as you start to fight them more keep coming. And more, and more. You end up completely surrounded and involved in an epic battle, which with NG2's weapons (one of its strong points) and enemy damage system is visceral, spectacular and exhilirating.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Ico, pretty much the whole game...

Rez, Area 5 - "Fear is the mind killer"
  • Rtype level 3 spectrum.

Rtype level 3 on the spectrum ffs! Amazing it played ..

Revenge of shinobi.
    Beating Spiderman then having to beat batman.

Zelda ocarina of time.

Spending 4 hours fishing. Doing nothing else.

Wii bowling.

The first time I move the wiimote to see my mii doing the same.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • JonB wrote:
    Ninja Gaiden 2

Chapter 10 - The stairs. A stand out moment in an otherwise slightly underachieving game. You run towards this ancient temple and find yourself climbing these huge stone steps. A few ninjas start coming from the top, which is nothing special, but as you start to fight them more keep coming. And more, and more. You end up completely surrounded and involved in an epic battle, which with NG2's weapons (one of its strong points) and enemy damage system is visceral, spectacular and exhilirating.

I totally forgot about that. A true WTF moment.

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Bad Company 2

Arica Harbor Rush - First set of crates in the base down the end of that long highway. On defence, it was an epic tank versus engineer battle, getting involved in sniping was always a mistake. On attack, I liked to zoom in on the quad bike like a ninja, use the jump to get into the base, then set the crate and nip into the next portacabin with a Carl Gustav and slaughter the defenders as they turned up to defuse.

Second set are in the town. Focus on the crate in the lockup garage, it can't have the building dropped on it. Anything can happen, tank versus tank, snipers on top of the building sites, blasting through the buildings using rockets or grenade launchers. On attack you want into that lockup and have your team spawn on you, hopefully with med packs and motion mines. On defence, you've got to keep a line of sight on that crate and be ready to throw grenades in if anyone gets in. Motion mines and ammo are key.

Third set is the end of the bridge, neither crate is in a building that can be destroyed. On attack, you want to flank up the beach or down from the town through the small buildings. More obvious team members will be trying to snipe from the building site or fighting there way down the road. Best to sneak into the railway carriage then crouch in the back and wait for defenders. Nice to be able to set the crate in the bus from outside the bus. On defence, you'll be crouching in the rocks and dying a lot, it isn't about K/D though, it's about winning. Remember and mine that road, then laugh as the enemy Humvee flies through the air.

Fourth set is the harbour. If they hold the bridge, swim. If they're waiting for that, swing right and grab the TOW launcher and fixed LMG, then shoot the bridge defenders from behind. The defenders can be cut off from the crate in the carriage from here, if you can't kill them, spotting them gives your team coming across the bridge a big advantage. Push on to the palm tress and again you're getting in between the defenders spawn and the crate. I don't know if there was a good tactic on defence here. Kill a lot of the enemy probably.

Fifth set is the building site. Rocket the fixed machine gun to start your attack, it's always spectacular. Blasting the defenders inside the building with rockets and grenade launchers is always good. Smoke works here too. On defence, you have to stay next to the crates and have a ready supply of motion mines and ammo. Wander off to fight over other buildings and you'll lose.

Best FPS map ever for me.
  • Epic map, nothing in BF3 compares sadly.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Red Faction Guerilla Taking down one of the massive bridges is a glorious moment. Takes ages to do but it just cascades down when you hit that final key point in the structure

Super Mario Bros Finding my first warp zone. First time I felt like I was cheating without typing in a code. And some serious Dark Soulsness when you hop into the zone 8 pipe.
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Arica Harbour is epic. The positioning of the final crates is just brilliant. It's something they did in a BC1 map actually but works so much better in 2.

Valparaiso
    Isle Inocentes
    Laguna Presa
    Port Valdez
    Oasis and Harvest Day are also strong contenders.

Last two have some far to open sections for my preference, but hey, they're still better than basically everything in BC3.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Rez, Area 5 - "Fear is the mind killer"

Classic track, wish you could do the level in "travelling" mode for if you're a bit too, erm, incapacitated.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • @Mod The key to all those maps is they all had a flow to them. Elevation changes, open areas segues into built up and out again. All seemed to be built around Rush, now we have a box in a room, it's like BF3 has a totally different team behind it.
  • Goldeneye

Four player split-screen deathmatch on bunker, no guns allowed, proximity mines only. Hours of fun and some incredibly devious mine placements.

Guitar Hero 2

Completing Free Bird on expert.

Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Arica Harbour is epic. The positioning of the final crates is just brilliant. It's something they did in a BC1 map actually but works so much better in 2. Valparaiso Isle Inocentes Laguna Presa Port Valdez Oasis and Harvest Day are also strong contenders. Last two have some far to open sections for my preference, but hey, they're still better than basically everything in BC3.

You know, I loved loved Atacama Desert in the end. Took a lot of playing, but the awesome stealth attempts you could do on the last crates, and the constant flying jeeps and quads due to mines were just brilliant.
  • Sonic and Knuckles-Sonic 3:Getting all the emeralds, completing both games then fighting metal sonic.

Banjo-Kazooie:
    Click Clock woods level. What a great idea for a level, using all four seasons of the same map, then changing things in one season to effect the others.

Burnout Paradise:
    Just driving really really fast in that open world for the hell of it. It was also the first game I played in HD.
  • Evo 2011 - Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - Winners Semi-final - Poongko vs Daigo
    Daigo, stoic as always, calmly sits down and gets himself comfortable for the match. Meanwhile, Poongko plays to the crowd by throwing off his top, badge and belt and then downing a can of red bull Steve Austin style. He then goes on to absolutely demolish Daigo in four straight rounds, finishing with a perfect in the final round, while the crowd (including me as a part of it) goes fucking crazy.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Never seen that before. Awesome.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You lucky bastard :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!