Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I suppose a workaround would be to have an ultra-safe Ellie until Joel's detected, and then to leave her to her own devices for as long as he's in combat.

Have her ignore Joel's position, instead reacting to the proximity of enemies by moving away from them. Unless they're armed, but that's another conditional. Line-of-sight conditionals on their own would make things a whole bunch easier. Travel-of-noise conditionals are unusually complex in games of this type*; it's a cutdown Thief game with an AI partner.

To make them convincing, that is. A steel bin is louder than a plastic one, etc.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Decided I'm just gonna go through this on Easy, I'm more in it for the story and can't be arsed getting overly frustrated over and over. If I get to grips with the gameplay etc, I'll ramp it up to Hard for another playthrough. If not, I can trade it. Win win.
  • What y'strugglin' with holmes? There's a bit in a hotel which marks the end of the poorer first areas I think, end of Summer, then Autumn/Winter are where the game is at it's best.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    All the stuff I've listed so far. I'm terrible at stealth and find it incredibly boring. I'm only an hour and a half in so gonna restart and soak up the atmosphere/story, which I'm enjoying.

Its a 9/10 plot/story/yadda, and about a 5/10 gameplay wise.
  • Hmm, I don't recall it being too annoying and it certainly gives you more tools for handling folk as it progresses. A lot of firefights are made easier by closing the distance in cover and bludgeoning the shit out of them. Clickers are piss, but again there are only a handful of sections with them as the game goes on.
  • I loved the gameplay as soon as I levelled up my aiming.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I'll lend it to you, no rush to complete it.

Very good of you mate, but I take forever to play anything these days.

Take it ffs.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I just have zero patience for wandering about in a crouch where Joel seems to have shit himself, only to get spotted, swamped then have to do the same thing again. Its why I never played the Thief games and why I just killed everyone in Dishonored. I know loadsa people love stealth, but its not for me. Its a game I wanna experience, fo' sho.

I've read that with upgrades shooting and shit becomes viable, but I'd rather the gameplay aspects be piss easy so I can take in the story.
  • That's a totally fine desire. I wonder how you'll get on with Isolation though, because getting spotted is nearly guaranteed death, regardless of difficulty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I didn't mind it in Isolation because its a homage to the greatest Sci-Horror ever created. Its a world I loved being in. Zombies/infected stuff bores me senseless.
  • Again, understandable.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    I'll lend it to you, no rush to complete it.

Very good of you mate, but I take forever to play anything these days.

Take it ffs.

Bring it on the next stock then, I'll make it my priority.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cosby and I did good old fashioned swapsies at the last Londonstock. More of that sort of thing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bodily fluids? Not sure me and Dan are quite there yet.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more now.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I dropped it to easy as well, gameplay is the biggest let down of the game, almost gave up a couple of times, but Bas stood behind me telling to go on.

I think it was worth it, there were even a couple of days were I was thinking of getting the DLC.
  • Do it. DLC is amazing. Does poignant describe it well? Not even sure what that word means.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Does the DLC come with the Remastered effort?

I'm really liking Easy mode, its made the game what I wanted. More story driven, with a bit of exploration and bashing in of skulls with pipes.
  • Yes. It's on the disc DS.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Stellar! I look forward to running through it. All my moans and gripes from yesterday are out the window now.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I found some of the cover-noncing hard-going at times, but I'm a sucker for overcautious play until I acquire Developer Vision. Gung-ho YouTube playthroughs often make perfect sense to me as a viewer - I mean, it's not like AI is so advanced that it remembers your style - but I suffer from the steady-Eddies when I have to creep.

That's not how it's done. You're supposed to plough on until you've every reason to crouch, accepting the occasional doorway deaths that come from that enthusiasm. But not me. I creep up to the doorway; I have a pipe on the porch... and then there's no bugger there! Just me and me shook italics.

But after completing it, you can run it back at a fair old lick with a decent share of newly-acquired developers' knowledge. What it loses in tension it gains in fun, since you're more willing to piss about when you're familiar with checkpoint harshness for screw-ups.
  • I need to play it a bit more to be sure, but I think the AI in Far Cry 2 could be quite hard to predict. I remember watching some guards patrol round the main town bit while I tried to sneak in and nab some diamonds, either the cycle is really long or they're semi random in their decisions. There's been many a moment where the AI has done something totally surprising, need to play it more to see if I can get some "developer vision".
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You can do semi-random with fixed pathfinding pretty easily.

Op Flash was a bugger for pathfinding. You'd spend hours modelling cool buildings, and then find that the AI was unable to navigate an entrance ramp or summat. You'd aim for Rorke's Drift and end up with something that more akin to a blind storming of the Bastille. Zulus... thousands of 'em... stuck in knee-high walls.

It was programmed by a tiny team, though, and it was a huge achievement that its world was even realised. I'd have programmed Swamp Castle in comparison.
  • Think that was the first time I got > 6000 parts in a factions game. Went 18-16-2-6 on Bill's Town.

The other team were very green (low levels bar one level 16) and mine were even greener. It was actually a very close game, culminating in a team v team face-off (2-3 spawns) with the 2nd floor sign in the middle. 

I downed one, and seeing him waddle behind cover I decided to throw a smoke bomb and rush the other team, hoping that the three scrubs cowering behind cover would sack-up for the first time in the match and follow me in.

Shockingly they did. It was a beautiful, chaotic, and brutal scene. I know it's daft but I actually felt a surge of pride and affection for my random noob-scrubs when we got the win. Like I'd passed on a few valuable lessons in uncompromising Factions violence to them.
  • Not played for a good while + lag resulting from playing with folks from West Coast Us and later Japan = Un-fun. 

Think I'm pretty much done with this now, still after (almost) 3 tours it's definitely in my top 5 online MP games of all time.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Seeing as I have finally got around to buying a PS4 is it worth me getting this again?
  • It's ok innit
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I got up to the final bit on this then accidentally wiped my save when pissed. Dunno if I can go through it again.
  • Just watch it online, there's nothing mechanically interesting about the final level. Storywise it's a conclusion, though I watched a video recently that is pretty critical of the lack of an arc.

That said I think stasis can be fine, not everyone changes. It just doesn't make for an overly satisfying reflection.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!