Scammed!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think it's time to call in the Financial Ombudsman. This pantomime has gone on long enough.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Before they launch into it, tell them you are aware that they are not strictly the right department, but you have been referred to them and if they read the notes they will have all the information of not only what you are calling about but why it is their department dealing with it.
  • Before they launch into it, tell them you are aware that they are not strictly the right department, but you have been referred to them and if they read the notes they will have all the information of not only what you are calling about but why it is their department dealing with it.

If only they'd do this without me having to explain a little in order for them to put me through to the right department, at which point they ask for a more detailed clarification of what's happened, and only then do they actually start asking me all the security checks required to access my account. Today I atually asked them to not add any more notes after they once again apologised for keeping me on hold for so long as it was taking a whille to read all the notes. Sadly, it seems they are not allowed to not add more notes.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK wrote:
    I think it's time to call in the Financial Ombudsman. This pantomime has gone on long enough.

I think the ombudsman have a thing about giving the bank eight weeks to sort it out before they’ll weigh in, though. They only get involved after your bank’s complaints process has completed and you’ve not received a satisfactory result.

Stupid as it sounds, writing to a newspaper’s financial help page is probably more immediately effective. FT Money would probably be a good shout – they have form for getting accounts unfrozen for consumers ASAP. I think the email address is [email protected]

https://www.ft.com/content/8fba7cac-83b3-4df3-a1a7-5b6869516085
  • Yeah, you have to leave notes. 

I expect the reason is because they really think it's not for them, and if they don't do security they can cold transfer, but if they do security they have to warm transfer.

Have they given you some kind of account reference? If so start off with "I've been given a reference number to quote." This may prompt them to just do security anyway. Also take a note of the name of the people you are speaking to, and what department they call themselves. Say you were speaking to <person> in <department>, and if they check the notes they will see the full story, and assure them it is a long sorry tale.

They likely get a high number of misroutes, but if they keep asking for the issue after the above say "I appeciate that you're trying to make sure I'm in the right department, but I've spoken to <amount of colleagues> in the last <number of days> and I can assure you I'm at the right place, if you please read the notes you will see."
  • Yeah Pop I think I will. The amazing thing about this is that they told me they would unfreeze the account after my complaint was upheld, and then the complaint was effectively closed, but they forgot to actually send the order to unfreeze the account. 

Until the complaint is reopened there is no way of unfreezing the account, as it has to be done throught the complaint proceedure, and amazingly there seems to be no way of contacting the lady that was dealing with my complaint. At least this seems to be the gist, although nobody can actually be sure of this in the fraud dept as it's not essentially their problem.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Such an elaborate way to say you don't want to pay your poker losses.  Literally months in the making.  It is genius.
  • And my rent and now energy bill. No more bills for me yay.
  • Huzahh! After yet another 1hr call and being told again they could not give me any timeframe on when this will get sorted, I get a call from a guy (I was told I would alaways have to phone them) saying he had unfrozen my account.

When I asked him why this wasn't done earlier (this is the 7th day) he said that the account was due to be terminated tomorrow, which is different to frozen, and that would cause them such a headache (the poor wee souls) he was forced to unblock it without going through the normal route now that the matter had become urgent for them. The absolute bastards. 

Still, I'll get some juicy compensation and I'm going to fucking drag every last penny out of them. 

Trufax, another amazingly incompetent thing is that they were meant to do is pay me compensation for the last time, but on closer inspection it turns out that the compaint had been closed before this was done too, and this whole thing has all been a failure of the complaints dept, who didn't do the two things they promised would happen as a result of my complaint being upheld the last time, and then promptly closed the complaint ticket and (this is true) buggered off on holiday.
  • It’s a Christmas console launch day miracle!
  • God bless Sony or MS! My complaints manager, whose fault this seems to be, is going to have to phone me at some point when she gets back from her hols so she can deal with my reopened complaint, which now very much appears to be a complaint about her.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lol. Well glad the bad bit of sorted. Now the fun begins.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Huzzah!

Bastards.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Lol. Well glad the bad bit of sorted. Now the fun begins.

I know. Even I feel sorry for her but she'll still be getting it with both barrels.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Now the fun begins.
    I have a bad feeling about this.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Quick Google and I've just found out that if the account was terminated tomorrow, the complaints procedure is automatically closed and the only way to resolve it would be through the ombudsman, who likes to make banks cough up when they feel they have acted unfairly or incompetently enough to have had the same effect. I'll be contacting then anyway.
  • Yeah, you contact the ombudsman to complain about the bank’s complaints procedure. If that makes sense. Then the ombudsman spend a year pissing about and hopefully they eventually land you a bigger compensation package.
  • Mmmm. I'll see what they offer then.
  • I think you can take what they offer and still go to the ombudsman afterwards, to see if they get you more.
  • That's what I'll do then! I misread your post.
  • Yeah, as I understand it (but please do check …) you take your compensation, then go to the ombudsman and say “look what utter shite this whole process was, I’m still very much out of pocket and distressed.”
  • Can I check if I made a purchase on wifi or on mobile signal by using my search history?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I doubt it. Could you contact the seller? They might have recorded your ip address when you made the purchase.
  • Ah well. I was just wondering how my account got scammed in the first place and was trying to figure out if I bought a ferry ticket on public WiFi or mobile signal.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Do you have a vpn on your phone? If not get one.
  • And never use public Wi-Fi. Or at least, if you have to then never spend money over it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Or just use it with a vpn. Public WiFi is fine as long as your traffic is encrypted.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Unless someone is spoofing a hot-spot and somehow installing spyware on your phone.
  • That seems a lot of effort to go to.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, which is why I wouldn't worry about it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!