Scammed!
  • I got called by my bank for excessive transactions on my account arising in Las Vegas.

"Thanks for the diligence, but you know it is 3am in the morning here chaps"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No, those are drugs.
    g.man wrote:
    That's code man.

hahaha, I've just finished watching The Wire, I realise I'll be seeing drugs everywhere for the next few weeks
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I lost my phone a week ago, I can't access anything because everything, including my steam library is linked to an authenticator.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I got called by my bank for excessive transactions on my account arising in Las Vegas.

The annoying thing is they've refused payments for Amazon stuff before, and for reasons that I doubt I'll ever get to the bottom of I couldn't sort it over the phone despite passing security and had to go down to the bank with my passport to get payments approved again.  

Now I know they've been spamming the account pretty much on an hourly basis from an international destination channeled through Jersey and I don't hear anything for over two days.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Cheers man. Don't worry I have food but that's a lovely offer. The fraud people are going to phone in the next two days so I hope I'll find out then.
    Glad to see they feel it's urgent!

In fairness they might have some work to do at their end first. I'd hope they're looking through the spending history and trying to find out what's happened. Or maybe not. Actually they're not going to be doing any of that are they? Bastards.
  • They probably have an algorithm for filtering things.
    If/when you do get a refund just double check what has been refunded.
  • Luckily it's pretty obvious as it's the same sites again and again but they should have a better bloody algo for fraud detection.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    I lost my phone a week ago, I can't access anything because everything, including my steam library is linked to an authenticator.

That's my main concern with authenticator apps. I had one linked to my proton mail account and my phone died. The only way I could access my email account after that was to reset the account, which meant all of my emails were deleted.
  • Who do you bank with Gazelle?
  • I just use the authentication tied to your phone number. Get a text, enter the code shit.

I guess it isn't quite as secure as they could clone your sim but for the most that extra level will put them off. Alot of this type of stuff isn't even organised crime, it is posturing hackers.

That was certainly the case when my Netflix got hacked. They just hand out the details knowing it will be shut down rapidly. In the case of Netflix it just gives access to content but even SG's details are small fry. Hurts for SG but they know anything but small transactions will block the card.
    I suspect it will be multiple people that used SG's account.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I got called by my bank for excessive transactions on my account arising in Las Vegas.

Just quoting this for excellence.

SFV - reddave360
  • I wonder how safe screen locks on phones actually are? You're locked out for 30 seconds or so after an attempt so I guess bare bones iteration might take a while. If you get access before the screen locks and get to an email account and authenticators you can really do some damage. 

I don't even know the fuck what my Google password is.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Who do you bank with Gazelle?

TSB for this account. Fucking useless.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I wonder how safe screen locks on phones actually are? You're locked out for 30 seconds or so after an attempt so I guess bare bones iteration might take a while. If you get access before the screen locks and get to an email account and authenticators you can really do some damage. 

Not very. If you want to be safe you should encrypt your phone if it has the capability.
  • I guess on paper the pattern thing has insane combinations but how many people are going to do something complicated 40 times a day?
  • Fucking bank still not in touch. I'll phone tomorrow.
  • Aye, chase them. The fraud prevention teams are usually shit hot. Keep nudging them.
  • I've just received another text saying another transaction looks dodgy, did I authorise payment? The lines are closed until 8 tomorrow. I've cancelled my old card (Sunday) but this payment was made today! Also, I checked online and they've managed to spend even more! Despite a cancelled card.

I'll no doubt get a text in a bit saying I'm heavily overdrawn and about to be charged.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah there's no way you can be liable for spending on a card that you cancelled.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Surely they can find who's responsible by simply following delivery addresses for stuff like Uber Eats and so forth? If they've bought anything online there must be a paper trail.
  • It's all traced to Jersey from what I could gather. It could be that the cards payments take a while to process but this wasn't part of the pending charges when we went through it on the phone.
  • This is amazing. Money has indeed come off my card since it was cancelled. Instead of phoning my like they said they would they've just gone through my account and refunded me all the things they think are fraudulent. 

Except, in a couple of cases instead of crediting the money back in they've actually doubled up and taken it out AGAIN, so I've been duped twice. So the texts I received from them were actually for fraudulent transactions they reauthorised, and the bank was warning me about its own incompetence by text. 

On the plus side I seem to be up on the deal as a whole, and now have more money than I did before. There are so many transactions I can't be arsed going through them all so I think I'll just leave it at that.
  • Well that sounds clear as mud.

Bet you it’s their machine learning fraud system and no humans were involved (apart from clicking ‘approve’ at some point). The algorithm fucked up in your favour.
  • I phoned up and spoke to someone this morning and she couldn't quite explain why I'd been charged twice instead of refunded but it was definitely their doing. The extra money is only a bit, from what I can tell, but maybe the algo knows this is the best way to get people to just leave it and shut up.
  • I’m glad you got your money back dude!
  • I'll tell my shell company in Jersey to lay off. Sorry but my cambabe habit is getting quite spenny, man has to find the money somehow. It's the cambabes fault when you think about it.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Who do you bank with Gazelle?

TSB for this account. Fucking useless.

Should bank at Coutts like griff.
  • I wonder how safe screen locks on phones actually are? You're locked out for 30 seconds or so after an attempt so I guess bare bones iteration might take a while. If you get access before the screen locks and get to an email account and authenticators you can really do some damage. 

As people have said on here, 2FA (2 factor authentication) is the way to go. Its more of a pain, but it really does increase your security. Ideally a hardware security key like a yubikey attached to your keyring would be best. I think it was google who initiated hardware 2FA for the email accounts of their staff and saw a 95% dropoff in successful email account hacks. So it really does improve your security posture and there are no passwords to remember. Just put the yubikey against the phone when the 2FA challenge response is shown on screen.

Also as others have said encrypt your phone from bootup and your memory card. I'm pretty sure that most phones can do this, though the lower the spec and cpu of the phone the less entropy it will generate when adding the randomness to your cryptographic key.

Also if you use chrome as your browser, it will suggest string passwords for you to use. Use its suggestions. They are stored in a password vault in the browser and can only be accessed by you typing in your phone password. Therefore if you left your phone unlocked and someone tried to look in your password vault they wouldn't be able to read your passwords.
  • I'll tell my shell company in Jersey to lay off. Sorry but my cambabe habit is getting quite spenny, man has to find the money somehow. It's the cambabes fault when you think about it.
    I'm impressed that in these difficult times, you've taken it upon yourself to feed the cambabes with pizzas ordered through UberEats. Bravo Sir!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I like my girls skinny gonz you bastard.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!