Watch Dogs from Ubisoft
  • Isn't vapourware something that hangs around for ages and then suddenly it turns out it doesn't exist?

Whereas this has just been announced.
  • I thought he was implying that we'll only ever see that one promising video, then it'll be lost in a mire of technical difficulties, and quietly cancelled mid-2015.
  • So, he has the foresight.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Does it have platforms and release dates? Till then I'd be kinda wary. It did come across as a one scenario tech demo rather than the kind of thing you could see being fleshed out into a whole game.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    i was fully enjoying the free reigniness of the video up to the bit where the dude gets pulled out the car and shot, that must be scripted but for how many different ways to appehend him.
    Yeah for a single cutscene, it raises a lot of questions about the gameplay. A 'kill this target' mission on GTA could be done any way you like, more or less. The mission is accomplished when the target's health runs out. And they wouldn't work in a cutscene afterwards, because you could be chasing the guy all over town. 
    The cutscene implies that you had to go the route the demo took. Unless the characters are scripted but could be imposed on whatever backdrop the kill happens to take place in. Have I seen this sort of thing in Assassin's Creed or am I imagining it?
  • I only watched the vid without sound (in work) am I missing something?
    Because it looks quite ordinary gameplay wise, is there a dev voice over promising the world?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • No, Assassins Creed kinda bypasses the problem by having Ezio and the victim share a private last moment in a cutscene which looks like its in some part of the Animus.

Could just be that there's maybe 4 different outcomes and each has a seperate similar cut scene? Or as said that this kill is heavily scripted and the briefing is get seen at the exhibition, break out, kill the lights on approach and kill Demarco. The former may add replay ability, the latter will make it very linear but more 'cinematic'.
  • Joystiq get assurances that this is for current gen machines.
    Speaking to Joystiq, Guay confirmed that the E3 demo is running on PC, but emphasized that Ubisoft Montreal is interested in getting Watch Dogs on "all the platforms we can." That means Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions "for sure," Guay said. A Wii U version is still up in the air.
  • monkey wrote:
    Unless the characters are scripted but could be imposed on whatever backdrop the kill happens to take place in. Have I seen this sort of thing in Assassin's Creed or am I imagining it?
    I don't see that would be an unrealistic possibility.  Script the movement, set a camera angle, bosh.

The problem with the linear, cinematic experience is that it was clear that whoever was playing had practised that level over and over, lining up the perfect camera angle at various points.  You or I would find it difficult to do that, if we even had the inclination.  The worry I have is that my first thought, when he switched all the traffic lights to green at just the right time, is that a truly random game world wouldn't necessarily have the right traffic at the junction to result in a smash.
  • I dunno why that's happening.  All I know is that it didn't happen on the shitforum.
  • It's happening because of the way the wysiwyg editor handles pasting from a different source.  You can edit that stuff out if you want.
  • Got it.  Was clicking the remove formatting button but didn't realise I had to highlight the offending stuff.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I thought he was implying that we'll only ever see that one promising video, then it'll be lost in a mire of technical difficulties, and quietly cancelled mid-2015.
    This, largely.

I'm not saying that's what is going to happen, though the game does appear to be proposing huge varieties of choice in your approach. The devs may not have outwardly said that, but the implications of being able to hack any electronic device are clear.  That's the sort of thing that, unless reined in, could easily go nowhere long term due to the sheer complexity of it all. Either that, or it's fairly tightly scripted and the awesome concept becomes somewhat diluted.

I was just surprised nobody seems to be thinking along those lines, considering how bitter and jaded you/we all are.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    it was clear that whoever was playing had practised that level over and over, lining up the perfect camera angle at various points.  You or I would find it difficult to do that, if we even had the inclination. 

Is exactly the same in that Last of Us gameplay vid - it was played so we saw the girl pick up the brick, then the bloke run out of bullets 10 secs later for her to smack the bad guy with it. Would never happen that smooth with us controlling it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm not letting myself get hyped up for this, no matter how great that 'gameplay' trailer was. It was suggesting more possibilities than even Molyneux would dare to dream of. I think it will end up using the hacking in much the same way Red Faction used its destructible environments, scripted to fuck.
  • http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-08-watch-dogs-preview-placing-power-in-your-palm
    "We have an ambitious goal on this. [Project lead] John [Morin] has a motto: make it less Michael Bay, more Michael Mann; less Transforms, more Heat," he says.  ...
    Tiny glimmer of hope!
  • Edge reckon this is for next gen. Looking forward to it a lot more if thats the case as you know for a fact that it'll disappoint if its for this gen.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • From the show floor.  Gametrailers video.

Towards the end it shows you jumping in a car to evade police and hacking a bridge so that it opens up enough for you to jump over it but to block the cops.

They also confirm smart phone integration.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    They also confirm smart phone integration.

Ive been getting the skinny on a lot of the buzz in this from possible future employment, it would be insane if this wasnt in there and expect such things everywhere in a year+ time
  • Great. Interest in this has gone way down now.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I don't really see why that'd make you lose interest, you may as well just kill yourself, cause it's going to be stuffed, in some way, into every possible thing it can be at all attached to
  • Hand me that rope
  • From what that dude was saying, it seems pretty unobtrusive.  It gives you a map and allows you to check up on people previously hacked and whatnot.  

Doesn't seem like you'd need to do it or miss out on much if you gave it a miss.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What it does seem is fucking cool.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I've not had time to read up on much about anything that's come out of E3, but I remember reading somewhere that a second player can use a smartphone or tablet to hack things in the game world to aid or hinder the main player.  That sounds very cool.
    Get schwifty.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm into this.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • adkm1979 wrote:
      The worry I have is that my first thought, when he switched all the traffic lights to green at just the right time, is that a truly random game world wouldn't necessarily have the right traffic at the junction to result in a smash.

True that, but it could be that if you hack the traffic lights, a set of cars spawn and collide. Then again, the men in guns appearing would suggest that it is more scripted than that. I just hope that hacking the lights isn't the only pathway. Despite ostensibly being an open-world game, I often felt that the 'correct' route was signposted far too often during the missions in AC (which was why the 'war machine' segments in Brotherhood were so refreshing).
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I just... don't get it. Firstly, it's running on a PC, so temper your expectations of what this will look like on PS3 and 360 waaayyyy down (and Wii U lol if it comes). Secondly, there is nothing random about that encounter - it's all very procedural, even down to the mapping of the cars after the crash, creating a little maze. I think we will see this game go away, and come back as something else, as is the Ubi way. 

It's Assassin's Creed with a phone. Calm down, all.
  • Did you see anything better at E3?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dishonored. Pikmin. Beyond. Sim City.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!