Gaming Pet Peeves
  • Rock Band and Guitar Hero are twats for the jump in difficulty.
  • Plan M wrote:
    FIFA Career Mode springs to mind - it's too easy on the 'normal' levels but it you pump it up to Legendary, the CPU starts running rings round you, regardless of what team it's playing as.
    Madden and NHL both prime offenders too. I'm too good for Normal on Madden but not superhuman enough for the next one up. There's basically no way for me to play SP satisfactorily which is why I stopped buying it.
  • Achievements in general. I get the idea, but in practice it doesn't work because I get them just for turning the machine. The cheapness of these "achievements" has made me believe they are worthless in general so I have no reason to collect the harder ones. The only way they've actually had an impact on my gaming is by totally and utterly ruining the atmosphere on Shadow of the Colossus every time I kill one of the giants.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • monkey wrote:
    Plan M wrote:
    FIFA Career Mode springs to mind - it's too easy on the 'normal' levels but it you pump it up to Legendary, the CPU starts running rings round you, regardless of what team it's playing as.
    Madden and NHL both prime offenders too. I'm too good for Normal on Madden but not superhuman enough for the next one up. There's basically no way for me to play SP satisfactorily which is why I stopped buying it.

Yeah it's ridiculous - I always buy FIFA thinking "the Career Mode will be excellent this year" but always get let down by the crappy AI.

I accept that AI is probably one of the most difficult things to get right when it comes to programming but surely EA should have got the hang of it by now? It seems as if multiplayer is the be all and end all for producers these days. And I don't play a lot of multiplayer.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Games that don't pause the play time when you pause the game.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Games that don't pause the play time when you pause the game.

Oh god yes. I AM NOT PLAYING SO IT IS NOT PLAY TIME.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Loading screens. 

It's the 21st Century and I still feel like there should be C64 loading bars on some games. Open a door? LOADING. Go into a new area? LOADING. Open Inventory? LOADING. Change menu screen. LOADINGAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH.

I gave up on Fallout: NV because I spent too much time looking at my damn fingernails.
  • Countdown clocks.  They have a place in arcade games where you have to make money for the amount of time people are playing.  They have little or no place on a home console.  Many a game has been ruined for me by the inclusion of countdown timers.

I hear what some of you are saying about games taking themselves too seriously, but some don't take themselves seriously enough.  Smuggler's Run would've been a better game if you hadn't collected and dropped off booty just by running over a marker.  It made everything very arcadey.  The countdown clock spoiled that one, too.

Games that feel the need to update every save file (profile, rosters, options etc.) every time the game save is updated, even though the game save is the only thing that has changed.

Games that don't make it clear if coming back out of the options screen will save the changes you've made.

Moonwalking.
  • Fucking inversion. It's only really in the last 2-3 years you can guarentee that you'll be given the option.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Rock Band and Guitar Hero are twats for the jump in difficulty.

You sort of expect that though, for the later ones to be harder than the first ones. You can at least change the difficulty at any point or keep No Fail on (on RB3 at least)

To be able to say "Give me a Medium difficulty across the whole game" would be good though I guess.
  • I gave up on Fallout: NV because I spent too much time looking at my damn fingernails.
    That was the worst I have played this generation for loading, combined with knowing every loadscreen could be a crash quite easily and it made for a tense experience.
    A mission I did for the King Elvis guy and someone else required 12 loads for 4 pieces of short dialouge. I counted them then gave up, ludicrous game.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You sort of expect that though, for the later ones to be harder than the first ones. You can at least change the difficulty at any point or keep No Fail on (on RB3 at least) To be able to say "Give me a Medium difficulty across the whole game" would be good though I guess.

I meant that Medium will find me hitting between 98 and 100% without even trying, but Hard will quite often see me fail with no hope getting through.

Some songs I can do on expert, mainly because they are basically a repetition of the same notes all the way through (AC/DC and Queen have a couple of these), but for the most part, it's less a difficulty spike and more of a sheer cliff face.
  • The phrase 'pet peeve' is my pet peeve.
  • The relentless pursuit of publishers to squeeze every last dime out of we gamers overshadows this gen. Horse armour, on disc DLC, a million gun skins, rent a server, season passes, GET TO FUCK.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Season passes I'm fine with. It means I save money.
  • They're a gamble. You're punting on future DLC being worthy of the outlay. Publishers don't give a monkey's bollock for giving value, they want to maximise the amount of brass they can generate through the buzz of release.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Gears season pass was really not a gamble. I would have bought them all regardless. Likewise if Halo had done one. Well I guess they kind of are with the limited edition for 4.
  • Snipers in online games. Pisses me right off.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Just on the topic of the aforementioned QTEs, can somebody please explain to me why they even exist? They seem to be universally despised and in all honesty if you think including them in your games is a good idea then maybe you should consider a career change, I don't care if you worked on Bayonetta you clearly don't have a clue. They were stupid in RE4, they're still stupid now and they're almost single-handedly ruining Japanese action games. GRRRRRRRRRR!
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • People on Ghost Recon online who dont go for the objective (as in they dont defend/attack and just run around like idiots)! The objectives make you win!!!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    games where the difficulty doesnt match me. as in medium isnt a challenge but hard isnt fun. may not be reasonable but there ya go.

Oooh, that's rhythm action down to a tee for me.  Except for Elite Beat Agents, which I finally finished on the hardest setting, Guitar Hero and its ilk were a nightmare.  Rock Band seemed to have a more linear difficulty scale, but I could 5-star everything on GH3 on medium, and barely pass a track on hard.

You need to keep the track the same, but introduce the 5th button.  Don't introduce the 5th button, increase the complexity, AND up the speed all at once!
  • Yeah, I didn't see Dante's rant before posting that :(  Sorry!
  • Glad it's not just me!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Console games that still expect you to save manually. Hello Halo Reach, you stupid fucking game.
  • Kow wrote:
    Console games that still expect you to save manually. Hello Halo Reach, you stupid fucking game.

Oh no, I get terribly paranoid with auto-save. The first time I played Dark Souls I agonised over whether to turn it off or not. Had it really saved? Where would I be when I turned it back on? As long as saving isn't a lengthy and laborious process I kind of prefer manual. Some times I save several times just to make sure.
  • Unimaginative, cliched characters. GTA4 was the worst example this generation that I can think of. Gears of War, God of War, pretty much any action game except Half Life 2 has really obvious characters. Either a muscle headed angry nutter or a skimpily dressed massive breasted nymph. Not all gamers are horny adolescent males
  • I've just remembered: 360 games that stop to ask you which device you'd like to save to when you only have one device in use.
  • Kow wrote:

ODST was worse, ended up doing the first level 3 times because of the stupid thing

• Cave games on 360 that ask if you'd like to save, then ask if you'd like to upload a replay, then ask if you're sure.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    In general, being asked if I'm sure annoys me. I went through a series of button presses to get here, of course I'm fucking sure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!