Forza Horizon
  • It's OK, they'll sell you realistic physics as DLC.
  • I have watched some of the video that IR posted and it looks shite.
  • Yup.  As Turts said, Forza physics in an open world is an interesting prospect.  As it stands I'm not sure why they're trading on the Forza name here.  I can't see that the brand is so solid, so well known that it will sufficiently boost sales to make up for the damage it will do amongst purist fans.

Jim won't like it.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Too much pessimism for my liking on the forum at the moment.  Believe Iain. BELIEVE.

Last time you said that we ended up with the BF3 Payment Protection Insurance Loyalty Card MP Fuckathon.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Realistic handling isn't a requirement for me, as long as the ex-Bizarre Creations people are doing them rather than the ex-Codies. I still think that if they're using the Forza name and claiming that it's the same physics engine, there will at least be an attempt at realistic handling.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Yup.  As Turts said, Forza physics in an open world is an interesting prospect.  As it stands I'm not sure why they're trading on the Forza name here.  I can't see that the brand is so solid, so well known that it will sufficiently boost sales to make up for the damage it will do amongst purist fans.

Jim won't like it.

It's the realistic racing brand on 360, their version of Gran Turismo. What other realistic racers are there?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I don't know, but Gran Turismo strikes me as a freak amongst the realistic racers in terms of its popularity and fame.  Everybody knows the name, and I'm not convinced Forza enjoys the same celebrity.  When talking about the games I have/play with people away from this forum, I don't often find folk familiar with it.  I dunno, I'm probably wrong, but it strikes me that it takes a stronger brand to gamble on/with your reputation like that.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    This would have been an off year for Forza anyway, so I'm not really sure why they felt the need to get another studio in. I guess it's as IR said and they wanted annual racing games rather than bi-annual ones. I don't particularly see the harm in using the Forza name (and cash) to let some Bizarre/Codies (Black Rock as well I think) alumni have a crack at an arcade racer. Outside of NFS/Criterion it's hard to see who else we'd get one from.

Sticking the NFS name on Hot Pursuit worked out OK, as did Ridge Racer really. Putting an arcade racer under an existing brand seems to be the only way to make money from them nowadays.
  • Turn 10 are more than likely cracking on with next gen Forza 5. MS will want to hit the ground running and have it as a launch title. If this does well, I see no reason why we won't see the glorious return of PGR in 2013.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'll be happy if it's a good open world racing game, don't really care what name it has on the box. The demo with Greenwalt implied they were wanting to keep the Forza physics and just put them on an open set of roads. Seems the most logical thing to do really.

My only worry in doing that is you run the danger of ending up with something that's neither fish nor fowl and could be a very boring game.
  • Race Pro lol.

Haha. I fell for that pile of shit after various foums raved about it. It felt like a shoddy Amiga game.
  • Race Pro was excellent.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Have to agree with Bob here, Race Pro is indeed excellent. The presentation and gwaffix aren't up to much, but the handling is excellent. Love racing the Caterham around Brands Hatch.
  • And the 80s touring car championship is pretty much worth the entry fee alone.
    The Forum Herald™
  • "Everything you hit gets you points". I'm out.
  • Ali wrote:
    "Everything you hit gets you points". I'm out.

Where does it say that?  It doesn't say that. 

Also, that article is utterly worthless.
  • Watch the Gametrailers video. It says that at 0:56, or words to that effect.  As the weird bloke crashes into fences and roadsigns and gets points. Plastered all over the screen.

Why did MS feel the need to make Forza Not-As-Good-As-Burnout? It was fine as it was.
  • My woefully underused Forza 4 disc(s) aren't going to be thrilled at this thing getting released.
  • Ali wrote:
    Watch the Gametrailers video. It says that at 0:56, or words to that effect.  As the weird bloke crashes into fences and roadsigns and gets points. Plastered all over the screen. Why did MS feel the need to make Forza Not-As-Good-As-Burnout? It was fine as it was.

Ah right.  I'm at work, so didn't watch the video.  The article is still worthless piffle.
  • Most of these articles are. Been at this lark too long to care what developers or reviewers have to say anymore. This seems like a very cynical cash in so far.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Um, so the only games allowed to bear the Forza name are the bi-annual sims? Why shouldn't they do different styles of racer under the same brand a la Need for Speed, Dirt, Ridge Racer?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Um, so the only games allowed to bear the Forza name are the bi-annual sims? Why shouldn't they do different styles of racer under the same brand a la Need for Speed, Dirt, Ridge Racer?
    I'd prefer it if they used a different name or if they insist on using Forza then that should drop to being just a catch-all name with the emphasis placed more on the secondary part of the title, the bit that is the actual meat of the title.
  • They need to use the Forza brand to get sales, no one is going to try and launch a brand new racer at this stage of generation. Using the name seems risky though, they're talking about it handling the same, but I'll only believe that when I see it.

As far as sticking with the Forza formula, they've surely gone as far as they can on this hardware. Next gen launch title.
  • Any word on whether this will have weather?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yup.

Sunny clear skies.
  • Ah! So no rain?

Any word on whether this will have night effects?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I think it has a full day/night cycle. Definitely has night in some of the videos.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!