Middle-aged Gamers' Malaise
  • Kow wrote:
    How dare you!
    Ah, come on. I could tell it was no good when I was 7.

It was no Chuckie Egg anyway.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Right, that's it! No jaffa cakes for you.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Anyway, it was a great game, one of the best the spectrum had.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    VR was mentioned earlier. Would be up for that but I wouldn't be optimistic on anyone creating anything compelling. Cue much FPS-ing which is a big yawn.

Heard of VR Rez which would be good to prove the concept but little else.

I'm all for video gaming moving away from sitting with a 6 button 2 stick pad to something - anything else. Standing at an arcade cabinet even makes the experience different.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Cue much FPS-ing which is a big yawn

And then a big barf. Has been typed many times but you can't put a trad FPS on that shit and expect it to be just fine.

Main events are gonna be the offspring/bites of The Witness.
  • davyK wrote:
    VR was mentioned earlier. Would be up for that but I wouldn't be optimistic on anyone creating anything compelling. Cue much FPS-ing which is a big yawn. Heard of VR Rez which would be good to prove the concept but little else. I'm all for video gaming moving away from sitting with a 6 button 2 stick pad to something - anything else. Standing at an arcade cabinet even makes the experience different.

I agree about the arcade experience. There are a few machines where we go bowling and my daughter loves having a go on them. They range from Alpine skiing, skidoo racing, motorbike racing and the arcade flight cabinet that I have mentioned previously on here. That kind of interaction does add something to the experience but we don't have that kind of setup in our homes. Are we really going to be falling over our furniture with VR helmets shattering into pieces around us? :D
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That arcade jockey horse racing game. That's the future.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Cue much FPS-ing which is a big yawn
    And then a big barf. Has been typed many times but you can't put a trad FPS on that shit and expect it to be just fine. Main events are gonna be the offspring/bites of The Witness.

hmmmm... sort sort of rig to create movement then.  Could bring the arcade back. Think I might have said that at some point in the past.
  • As much as I'm a sucker for massive AAA games I think it's pretty clear this is a golden age of indie development.

Anyway, r.e. the op, I don't think vr is going to re-ignite a passion for gaming, although it will be fun. IMO playing with friends is the best way to keep that fire going!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Take a break, chuck in Rapture or Ethan Carter and get lost for an hour.
  • VR if filling the void. Still love to play the WiiU with the boy though. That'll never get old for me although I suspect he'll grow out of it soon enough. I hope he takes with the PC although he's already asking about PlayStation.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    While I agree there is a lot out there I do think a lot of joy has been stripped out of gaming. By joy I mean innocent childlike fun.

The rise of big money in e-sports and in-game shops has moved the focus in AAA multiplayer titles to competitive leagues and high tension quick fire ranked matchmaking. It makes me sad we'll probably never see again server based games housing unique communities who come on at all times of the day for the most casual of casual matches with quick turn overs, voice chat bants with different nationalities about pointless shit and no pressure against leaving or joining whenever you fancy.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    For me, it's pretty much a case of new-and-improved flavours being worse than the old ones. 20% less gameplay.

It's hard to find old-schoolers in modern clothes. Warhawk's MP was like a PC game from the '90s, just better-looking; Uncharted 2 even more so. WipEout HD's a tarted-up classic.

A lot of Warhawk's fun came from how social it was, so it never felt like a waste of time. I get those nags far more often in SP games. WipEout HD's an exception because it takes tons of patience to be good at, and that's never a bad pursuit. That's why I find playing well in the WipEouts so rewarding - you've earned it.

Diminishing failure is the kernel of every good game.
  • Speakign to davyK's post on page 2, where what you liked as a kid often is what you do as an adult (musical tastes, for example) ... I personally have to respectfully disagree though I know it does happen with some things. 

For me, my musical taste tends to change every four or five years and has diverged significantly with what I enjoyed say, from 15-20 though I do still enjoy some of those artists but I don't regularly listen to them anymore. 

Recently Ive found that if you like an artist then you can often find new good ones based on who else's work they have covered or who else they have collaborated with. Dream Theater led me to Zebra, Rainbow and Iron Maiden. Orbital led me to Zola Jesus. I think Royksopp led me to Fever Ray/The Knife and subsequently Light Asylum. It's a trend of small discoveries. 

With gaming though, it's been quite different and often a retreat to familiar styles/places of known quantity even if I didn't play them as a kid. Take Nintendo: I didn't own one until I was 21 or so when I got a GC. Ive also tried out more SRPGs thanks to Valkyria Chronicles as my first real crack at one, and completely gone off FPS and militaristic stuff like Tom Clancy and Halo games after a relatively intense addiction to them from about 2000-07. Sort of like binging on them before developing an allergic reaction, even though I look back fondly on getting very competitive with Splinter Cell online, for example.

I do like discovering small, unexpected brilliance. Pixeljunk Monsters captivated me when it first came out, so I'll always give Q Games a go. Same with Way Forward who often make nice simple games that remind me of Game Gear Shinobi with how tight they control. And last night I bought Steamworld Heist which was amazing from the first minute. 

Also shout out to @Tempy and his recommendation of Toki Tori 2. That game is delightful and I hope we still get to see Rive from Two Tribes at some point. Games like those, Swords and Soldiers and World of Goo have been some of the biggest surprises this past decade and really prove that this is a golden era, you just have to dig a little.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't think we disagree there @Vela.  One thing leads to another. Your likes can lead you along a connected path. With music that can keep you contemporary. I think it's harder with gaming.
  • I've lost the love in the past few years. Got excited about certain games and Destiny had me by the balls but not for the right reasons I suppose.

I struggle to put in more than a couple of hours before feeling I should go outside or do something else.

I think the main problem is that games these days just aren't that good.
  • The spoilt for choice thing is apt.
    Nowadays in Steam the access to a 100+ aaa games library isn't uncommon. It can be a daunting task trying to pick a game and commiting all your free time to it the next 40hrs or so. More often than not you end up not playing and rather browse to the forum here.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Which of these 250 games will I play? I know - none of them.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fiscal prudence is full of multiple types of win
  • I still haven't played or finished:
    -Any Zelda game
    -Mass effect trilogy
    -Dark Souls (fucking dark souls!)
    -The Witcher 2 (soon 3)
    -Ass creed 3+4
    -Many many more

60% of my library is untouched, like a virgin.
  • Gaming's better than ever. The old stuff is still there and there's new stuff all the time. Same with films, music etc.
  • Don't bother with assassin creed 3. I hear 4 is goo but 3 was a ripoff even as a psn freebie.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I still have plenty of enthusiasm for games. Just not plenty of time. Pretty much kids and real life stuff take up vast majority of my time now. So I literally have to deprive myself of sleep to play what I really wanna play, like Bloodborne last year and Dark Souls 3 this year (so far).

Handheld gaming is probably the way to go for me, but I'm not big on it. I prefer/tend to do other stuff on my commute, like reading or posting on this damn place. But I'm currently giving Fire Emblem a go. Hopefully I can keep it up to satiate the hunger for games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Vela wrote:
    Don't bother with assassin creed 3. I hear 4 is goo but 3 was a ripoff even as a psn freebie.

There's also the ass creed2 expansions brotherhood and revelations.
  • Ass Creed games represent most of the problems with why I don't get on with so many games these days.

Bloated drivel.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It's quite amazing how it manages to be bbloated and still deny you content unless you pay for it, especially after alluding to it so strongly in other parts of the game that weren't hidden behind a paywall
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah. If I do a checklist of stuff I dislike about AAA games Ass Creed ticks most boxes.

Bloated - check
    Grey Brown - check
    Annual release - check
    Broken on release - check
    Micro transactions in full priced game - check
    Lack of innovation - check
    Lack of unique graphical style - check

Sure I am missing some.

A game can tick a few of those boxes and be OK but there are limits. Dark Souls 3 I love and it ticks at least 2 of those.
  • Ass Creed games represent most of the problem with why I don't get on with so many games these days. Bloated drivel.

Yeah, and that stuff is creeping into almost every AAA game these days. I really enjoyed MGSV controls and gameplay for example, but fuck me did the checklist bullshit padding start to grate after a few dozen hours. It turned enjoyable mechanics into a chore.
  • Vela wrote:
    Ass Creed games represent most of the problem with why I don't get on with so many games these days. Bloated drivel.
    Yeah, and that stuff is creeping into almost every AAA game these days. I really enjoyed MGSV controls and gameplay for example, but fuck me did the checklist bullshit padding start to grate after a few dozen hours. It turned enjoyable mechanics into a chore.
    I think that's completely different. It's not just wander around and collect 100 of these, it's a range of optional missions and tasks that allow you to play missions in different ways or muck about with different gear. There are too many similar ones, perhaps, but since they're optional you just stop whenever you've had enough.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!