Middle-aged Gamers' Malaise
  • ME2 is sooooo fucking good. ME1 and 3 are shite, sadly. Wanted to like 3.

ME3 is the best doe.
  • I don't think I've ever really had a phase where I went off gaming. And there's still a little part of my brain that would make me play games all day every day if the other parts didn't tell it to shut the fuck up.

However. It's only a select few games that I really get into. Even not buying a lot and being careful what I get, I reckon about half the stuff I buy turns out to be dull. 

But then the stuff I really like is really good nowadays. MGS V, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Invisible Inc. - these have dominated the last 8 months for me, with about 100 hours of each probably, and they're all among the best games of their type. And the speed I play means that about half a dozen games like that a year, plus a few other fillers along the way (mostly indie games), is plenty, so I don't need to give a shit about hundreds of other big releases that would bore me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fuck games, in general. Except Dark Souls. But fuck that too, actually. About one interesting thing comes along every ten years.
  • No I'd like things I like to be in total abundance tbh.
    What do you like, just out of interest, Brooks?

The last thing I romped through and genuinely wanted more of was Hyper Light Drifter - Metroid-y structure, good-ass soundtrack, no talkytalky shite, decent combat. I consider a thing like that bare minimum interest arousal. Arguably a comfort food title.
  • Still waiting for the vs-fighter I like more than 3rd Strike. It's taking its sweet fucking time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    An issue I definitely found was the combination of more money, narrower tastes, and less time. While you may not have the third of those, the first twice can be an issue - they contrive to have you flotation between games that aren't well suited to you.

I've found being consciously more selective in what I spend my time on makes a big difference. Spending it on shite will inevitably damage your view of the whole shebang.

Also - we've gamed for ages. There's deja vu all around. Try indie stuff for greater originality (and smaller bites, and greater cheer), and you'll likely find some smiles.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nah, it's all shite, it's just taken a long time to sink in.
  • I may have pushed through the malaise.  I'm playing more than I was five years ago, certainly enough to have more than five options for most GoTY threads.  I plod through stuff, but it suits me.  Plenty of handheld gaming, no interest in forcing myself to play things I won't like (Bloodborne, The Witcher), still on board with most of Nintendo's main franchises, recently at peace with spinning multiple plates at once and happy not to finish something if it starts to bore or annoy me.  I'm in good shape with the games at the mo.  I never sit and play for hours, but I'll play something most weeks, even if it's just on the train to work, a round of golf with Bob, or a late evening save state assisted run through some 8-bit memories.
  • I still seem to find enough time to play games, but I deffo am more aware of what kind of game I'll enjoy and the types that I won't. Bought Fallout 4 but hardly touched it, so I think I'm finally over having to buy every big AAA release just because.

I do often wonder how much more productive I'd be if I didn't play games. I reckon I'd either gets loads of other stuff done or be smoking crack.
  • I am in the same boat. I don't have the time, or maybe the inclination, to invest large amounts of time into games. I prefer stuff that I can have quick blasts at once my wife has gone to bed. Unfortunately, by that time I've had a few beers and whisky so my concentration is not the best. I even found myself just watching some Twitch the other night while enjoying my beer. Too often I have been sucked by the hype for stuff on here, bought the game and barely touched it once the updates have installed for it. Sad times.

I do still love reading about gaming and all the stuff that surrounds it. I do still buy Edge, which seems to be a rare thing on here these days. I will also possibly take my daughter to the playexpo that is on in Glasgow soon.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm going to draw a parallel here. Music. My theory is that as you age you will find that the music you like tends to come from your formative years. Yes - you may like some new stuff, you may like really old stuff like classical , jazz etc too - but in the main it's what you experience growing up - and I'd argue the older stuff you like is what you first experienced during that time too. Any new stuff you come across you like only because if "reminds you" or "has resonance."

Music for me is probably late 70s-early 90s. 1977-93 say when I was 11-26.

Gaming may well be the same. It's what you experienced in a certain part of your life. Modern gaming largely leaves me cold but I'm delighted when I come across something that strikes a chord - something like Geometry Wars and Trials HD which are really rather old school in their sensibilities.

My formative years theory could be tosh but what I would argue strongly is that you get to a point where you know what you like.

That's why you lose enthusiasm. You know what you like and really the time comes when you stop looking for something new. You will want something that fits with you and you may not see that in modern offerings.

I feel blessed to have been of a certain age when the arcades were in their pomp. I hated the 8bit micro era. The medium just wasnt suited to gaming IMO and it almost put me off gaming - it's why I still played a lot of arcade games at that time and held onto the Atari 2600 for so long. The rebirth of consoles (NES for me) got me back into it. The SNES era has all sorts of fine memories as I was in my mid 20s and had got a job I wanted, had bought a house and had found a wife. The N64/PS1/Saturn era was great too but it starts to wane at that point and I see myself during that time looking for certain experiences such as Saturn 2D shooters.

Those experiences are what I still seek. They are to be found but to be honest I can't be arsed putting the effort in to find them. I feel the joy of gaming isn't there any more but I suspect those of a certain age wouldn't  agree.

As you age you don't have the time either. So the older game style with its small demand on time suits but that could just be a coincidence. The older game is what I experienced teens to early 20s and that's what I like.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • @davyK bang on there
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Games are like drugs - you'll spend your life trying to get that Manic Miner high again but never quite hitting it, until eventually you're just going through the motions, spending a small fortune to feel anything at all.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Let's not forget that both Davy and Retro are in their early 80s
  • Kow wrote:
    Games are like drugs - you'll spend your life trying to get that Manic Miner high again but never quite hitting it, until eventually you're just going through the motions, spending a small fortune to feel anything at all.

Being 46, myself and others around that age were lucky enough to hit gaming in it's infancy and everything was new. My first games on my 48K Spectrum were Attic Atac and Oracle's Cave. From then there was The Hobbit, Manic Miner, Chuckie Egg, Monty Mole, Avalon, Mountains of Ket Trilogy, The Lords of Time from Level 9. The graphics were so rudimentary or nonexistent that it was your imagination that did all the work.

Now, everything is about realism. VR does nothing for me.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • I'm genuinely keen on VR, but I have no confidence that anyone knows how to make compelling software for it yet.
  • Not everything is about realism. Hundreds of games come out ever year from devs who can't afford anything more than basic art assets, and plenty of AAA studios are more interested than honing their artistic niche than pursuing realism (From, Blizzard).

Im general I can understand the malaise, the idea that the thrill is gone and all that, but we're in the absolute golden age, and the issue is in quantity not quality. If you want a specific type of game, chances are its out or someone is developing it, and therein lies the problem: because it's there or soon to be there, and it's quite likely only going to cost £10-30, it's far easier to easily grab it and become quickly dissatisfied.

No more having to begrudgingly get hours out of rubbish like Vectorman because it was £50 and that was all you could afford for 3 months. Now I've got 5 games sat on my desktop (Stardew Valley, Stellaris, Duskers, Darkest Dungeon, Overwatch) which in any other circumstance would be a crop of genuine genius, but instead they're just game number X on an endless conveyer belt of quality. The shift is in the breadth, not the depth. Spoilt for choice has never been so apt a phrase.
  • My to-play list is very small and that's fine.

Most of it won't be out for time.
  • Have you come across Toki Tori 2? I saw a video on it because it apparently has the richest sequence breaking in all of gaming, and it's intentional by design because your little idiot bird character only has 2 moves and never upgrades.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I went through a phase a few years ago where I just went off gaming and wanted to sell everything.  When I came out the other side of that my tastes were just all the narrower.  I'd struggle to compose a top five of the year list these days and spend a lot of time replaying games I love.  It's pretty great, and this way I just might still be playing games when I'm old and grumpy.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've played the first one, it's great. Haven't done much if any of 2, but pretty sure it's on my pos, no idea which system fir though :-/
  • I'd like to add as well that the above is aimed at me too - of those 5 games I torrented all but Overwatch because I was going through a "ugh, what's even good any more" period - there's 2 games there that I'll definitely be buying as soon as I have any cash that isn't tied up in living.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    The older you get the more refined your tastes become, at least in my experience. Gone are the days that I play every triple A that comes out. In fact, these days I know I only really like online games with a sense of progression. I get bored very quick with offline affairs. So it's basically games like Destiny, DkS, WoW(esque) and Gears.
  • Also less desire/inclination to explore due to time/money concerns as an adult I guess. Easy to complain about the state of modern cinema, but just like gaming there is gold every month. Sadly the economy of cinema means it's easier to see turgid Hollywood blockbusters (10 screens, 10 weeks) than the startling and unpredictable cinema being made - such as Green Room (1 screen, 2 weeks)
  • Kow wrote:
    Maybe buy fewer games? I dunno, but having just one or two games on the go at a time and actually getting the most out of them before moving on seems to work for me. Also, Manic Miner was shit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How dare you!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    An issue I definitely found was the combination of more money, narrower tastes, and less time.

M²+n+LT=Get Tae
  • While I agree there is a lot out there I do think a lot of joy has been stripped out of gaming.
    By joy I mean innocent childlike fun.

Nintendo are the biggest merchants of this historically but their output has become a drip feed. Rare were always fun but have been largely ruined by MS. Same room MP is all but dead outside of Fighters. Lionhead are gone and with them their sense of humour. Sega's blue skies have clouded over.

Games are increasingly statistic heavy and there is nothing fun about downloading endless patches.

Of course there are still joyous games to be found, especially in the indie scene. Rocket League is a great mix of gameplay with some silliness. Overwatch has some actual colour in it.

In general though games are grey-brown, serious "experiences". In general I prefer to play than experience.
  • I'll only disagree because I think you're generalisng a very small part of the actual volume of releases. What's marketed to you is vetted, safe stuff that sells millions and to do so it has to be within a certain remit. 

There's plenty of joy in gaming. Smaller studios may not have the money to apply polish as well as Nintendo, but they don't benefit from this narrow view of gaming that the AAA machine has set its sights on either.
  • Plus MGS V, which is one the most pure fun games I've ever played.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!