GOTY 2015 - RESULTS - 2015 was the the year of the Hunt
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'd offer to do it but people would hate my rules

Destiny must be number 1 yeah?
  • I think every game I've voted for has been GOTY so far, I hope I can keep the run going.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'd offer to do it but people would hate my rules

Destiny must be number 1 yeah?

We must not have met before.

Hello, I am reg.
  • Let me show you these Destiny Amiibo's.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    O U
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    I think every game I've voted for has been GOTY so far, I hope I can keep the run going.

Says it all really.
  • Hey, people have only started voting. Gimme a break!

Spreadsheet in T-2 hours (need to do some bloody work)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I think every game I've voted for has been GOTY so far, I hope I can keep the run going.

Says it all really.

I have impeccable taste?
  • Right. I think I've got a top 5. I've mostly been playing Shadow of Mordor lately, which obviously doesn't qualify.

5. Alto's Adventure [iOS]
    The simplest game on my list, but one of the most compelling. Apparently, I've travelled just shy of one and a half million metres in this game. It's very pretty, the controls are simple but precise, and it's always, always my fault when I crash. One of those games that plays equally well on iPhone and iPad.

4. Rocket League [PS4]
    When this came free with PS+, I read the description and thought, "Aye, okay." If my memory serves me, I ignored it at first, and only downloaded it after a bit of chat on here. I haven't played it nearly as much as some others

3. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood [Vita]
    I loved the original OlliOlli, and it remains on my Vita, but this takes that game and pushes everything forwards and upwards, while sharpening and polishing where you didn't know it was required. The simple introduction of manuals doesn't just allow for level-long combos; it demands them of you which, along with more alternate routes through the level, makes each level a relentless drive of concentration and finger and thumb coordination.

2. The Order 1886 [PS4]
    I had an absolute blast playing this. It looks gorgeous, which helps, but I found it one of the most convincingly solid games I've ever played; everything looked and felt like tangible, physical things interacting with one another. The storyline isn't the most original, but I liked the little universe it introduced, and look forward to more games in the franchise. It would have been my Game of the Year, but...

1. Mad Max [PS4]
    An absolute joy of a game to play. The vehicular combat is satisfyingly crunchy and solid, the hand-to-hand combat equally satisfyingly meaty, punchy, and solid. My only complaint would be that I would have tied the unlocking of the open world stuff more closely to the story progression; I was having so much fun doing all the extra stuff, I got myself a little over-powered for the story. A minor niggle, though, given how much fun I was having. I highly recommend giving this a go. (If you don't believe me, watch this.

Honourable mentions:
    Hitman: Sniper [iOS]
    Lara Croft: Go [iOS]
    Helldivers [PS4/Vita]
    n++ [PS4]
    Star Wars: Battlefront [PS4]

The Shit List:
    Batman: Arkham Knight [PS4]
    Everybody's Gone to the Rapture [PS4]
    Her Story [iOS]
    Submerged [PS4]
    Grow Home [PS4]

The Nothing Award of Was That a Thing? No, It Wasn't:
    Hatred [Who cares?]
  • I fully expect you to endorse and love and vote for Last Guardian next year. Because it will be out next year and will be bestest game ever oh yes.
  • I think Bloodborne is the only this year game I've played, but it's worth a vote. I should get to MGSV before the deadline too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really need to play Lara Croft Go
  • I'd be tempted if hitman go didn't irritate.
  • It plays differently to Hitman Go, in a same-but-different way.
  • I'd be tempted if hitman go didn't irritate.
    amen brother
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hitman Go was amaze you absolute heathens
  • My Tentative Top 5 updated.  Votes so far tallied.  Drum roll...

... see OP in a few minutes.
  • JRPC wrote:
    So far the list is:

1. Grow Home
    2. Agar.io

Forgot to include that in my list!

Loved it. Still loving it, actually

So it goes...

1. Rocket League
    2. Batman
    3. Bloodborne
    4. Grow Home

Can't in good conscience put mgs in. Just couldn't engage with it.

Did you mean to swap Bloodborne and Batman round since your earlier list? just saying. :)
  • Updated.

1. Olli Olli 2
    2. Rocket League
    3. Gunman Clive 2
    4. Affordable Space Adventures (played to level 17 in co-op today)
    5. Zelda: Triforce Heroes

Decided to drop Batman as quite good doesn't cut the mustard.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I fully expect you to endorse and love and vote for Last Guardian next year. Because it will be out next year and will be bestest game ever oh yes.

Along with Persona 5, Shenmue 3, Dark souls 3 and Yakuza 5. And maybe the new Mass Effect perhaps.

Also, fuck lists.
  • 16 maps isnt a huge amount and with no singleplayer campaign to speak of thats a fairly meagre offering IMO.Admittedly, I've only played the beta. but according to giant bomb the game is shallow as a Kardashian. Everything I've heard about the game pretty much agrees that the once the initial shine wears off there isnt much there to retain interest. Doesnt sound like GOTY material to me. I love me a bit of star wars and I welled up at the xwing advert like everyone else but found little reason to play the beta beyond a few matches(the core action loop of Destiny for example is much more satisfying and fun).All the talk around the game has not enticed me into trying the full product.
    16 is more than BF4, Bf3, Titanfall, is roughly about the same as some CoDs and I suspect more than some other gaming series. 

Let's face it all of the iterations of the games above have a declining sp element to them. I know a few people on here like to play CoD campaigns for the whizz bang but the focus has shifted to mp. 

And it won't be on my Goty list because it's not a classic by any means but it is fun. 

Like I said it harks back to simpler age where we didn't have to grind for weeks and we just picked a game up and had some fun on a fairly level playing field.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • XIII wrote:
    I don't want a deep, Battlefield experience.  I just want something I can jump into and shoot the bad/good guys, with loads of Star Wars atmosphere thrown in.  Sounds perfect. But I don't want to shell out an extra £50 for stuff.  Is it just enough owning the game without having to buy the extra stuff?
    That's exactly what it is. 
    i haven't played it for a few days and I'm not getting withdrawal symptoms because i know that I can't pop it on. Drop into a TDM match and be having fun within seconds without stressing about xp and weapon power creep or getting 200 head shots with a shit pistol to unlock a fucking sight that gives me an extra 15% zoomed accuracy on a already overpowered gun.
    It's not the best game I've ever played and I'm fully aware that my rabid Star Wars love is making me blind to some of its faults but I still prefer sticking this on over BF4 or Titty.

In fact I stuck BF4 on 15mins to check out a new map and I was raging within 2mins. Ironically I died less in BF4 at the time.
  • For the sake of balance, I found Battlefront to be broken, unbalanced, and frustrating. The power characters are fucked, turning the game into some kind of weird nostalgic sacrificial death loop where all you're doing is running into a character you know to insta die. Please, Han! Pick me! Me next! I'm more Wars than the others! Please! Me! Release me from this life! You are the one!

Ahem...
  • Right, here goes:

1. Bloodborne
    2. Batman: AK
    3. Dying Light
    4. MGSV
    5. The Order*

*Probably would be swapped for Witcher 3 if I'd have put more time into it. I waited at release for the inevitable patches to drop.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    XIII wrote:
    I don't want a deep, Battlefield experience.  I just want something I can jump into and shoot the bad/good guys, with loads of Star Wars atmosphere thrown in.  Sounds perfect. But I don't want to shell out an extra £50 for stuff.  Is it just enough owning the game without having to buy the extra stuff?
    That's exactly what it is. 
    i haven't played it for a few days and I'm not getting withdrawal symptoms because i know that I can't pop it on. Drop into a TDM match and be having fun within seconds without stressing about xp and weapon power creep or getting 200 head shots with a shit pistol to unlock a fucking sight that gives me an extra 15% zoomed accuracy on a already overpowered gun.
    It's not the best game I've ever played and I'm fully aware that my rabid Star Wars love is making me blind to some of its faults but I still prefer sticking this on over BF4 or Titty.

In fact I stuck BF4 on 15mins to check out a new map and I was raging within 2mins. Ironically I died less in BF4 at the time.

Seconded. Its perfect for when youre in the mood - dip in, dip out as you please.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    For the sake of balance, I found Battlefront to be broken, unbalanced, and frustrating. The power characters are fucked, turning the game into some kind of weird nostalgic sacrificial death loop where all you're doing is running into a character you know to insta die. Please, Han! Pick me! Me next! I'm more Wars than the others! Please! Me! Release me from this life! You are the one!

Ahem...

There's a mode like rush where you play on the big maps without the walkers, for some reason the heroes aren't on a timer so they just slaughter everyone the entire game. Awful. I love most of the other modes though.

How does the critic's darling Splatoon compare with number of maps/game modes? I wonder how that escaped the 'shallow' stick used to beat Battlefront?
  • For the sake of balance, I found Battlefront to be broken, unbalanced, and frustrating. The power characters are fucked, turning the game into some kind of weird nostalgic sacrificial death loop where all you're doing is running into a character you know to insta die. Please, Han! Pick me! Me next! I'm more Wars than the others! Please! Me! Release me from this life! You are the one! Ahem...
    I think you've mentioned the Heros before. IDGI. 
    They are meant to be overpowered. That's the point of them. They tend to be on objective based modes and they quite rightly can turn the tide at an objective one way or another. 
    Plus they are random finds. They aren't a fucking kill everyone on the map reward for the best player like in CoD for instance. Anyone can be lucky or unlucky enough to be the next hero. Not just the guy with 25-0 Kdr Streak 

They aren't invulnerable, they can and are be killed with a bit of teamwork. 
    They don't ruin the game, for me, in any way shape or form. 

I will admit. Hands in the air that the Walker Assault mode is a meat grinding mess. 
    But I think people are being too precious. 
    I played on Tattooine the other day and I was getting slaughtered and I really mean slaughtered. 
    I was throwing myself at the capture points as a rebel over and over again. My KDR and score where shocking. But then in the last section I saw a speeder pickup, grabbed it and did this:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/sgt%20pantyfire/video/13041894

For the game win. 
    Fuck my KDR, screw where I ended up on the leaderboard (bottom third). 
    I was the effing hero right then.
  • And to be clear I'm not in here ranting because I think it's GOTY material I'm eulogising because I'm sick of hearing people on Eurogamer, Kotaku, the official forums (I was looking for news on the update) and even sometimes here say the game has no content. 
    Ironically I suspect some of these people have whinged about modern shooters being a endless grind for something that makes you overpowered. 
    Well here is the game they've been wanting for a while. Maybe they just didn't want it after all. 

It's my The Order 1886 I guess.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Panto on a mission here. I might stick it in my list as a show of support.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here we go -

1. Splatoon - simply, multiplayer perfection. One of the few shooters out there I'm still playing over half a year after it was released. Nintendo don't do much right, but they nailed the drip feed content.

2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 108 hours and counting, not much more to say there.

3. Life is Strange - it sure is. What an absolutely wonderful game that came out of nowhere.

4. Super Mario Maker - how can it not be on yer list?!

5. Her Story - me and tempy sleuthing on the sofa with a notebook is a highlight of the year.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!