GOTY 2015 - RESULTS - 2015 was the the year of the Hunt
  • Good list, but top 2 are wrong way round dude.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I regret not getting into Witcher 3 at launch. No time now.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Stealth number one. I wasn't a massive fan outside the aesthetics but did pick up the guide to it in Japan because the whole book is a lol. Will post some pics of it later

Yeah, it's gone up the more I've played it. People rag on it because "it's too easy", but that's to miss the point. Kirby is for the joy of play, it you want a challenge, collect everything. There doesn't seem to be much love for the vehicles either, but I liked them.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Final list:

1. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Despite the stylus controls, this feels very much from the old school. I still can't work out why this is on the Wii U and not the DS - you won't ever be looking at the  TV. Which is something of a shame, as it looks far more beautiful on the big screen than the Gamepad screen, but is almost impossible to control if you use the TV. It's perfect for a quick go as well, a level at a time is as satisfying a way to play a a long session.

2. Splatoon

An interesting take on the shooter from Nintendo. A shooter where the main aim is to shoot anywhere but at your opponents. It's a blast to play, even if it has been hamstrung by some very Nintendo choices. No Mark Morrison chat whilst you play with your mates, and you have to exit matchmaking to change weapon for some reason. These annoyances aside though, it's fun to play. The various guns are satisfying and all have a place, movement as a squid is a joy. Turf battles are as fraught as any match I've had in Halo. If you've dismissed this because of the visuals, give your head a wobble. It doesn't matter what it looks like, Splatoon is in the play.

3. Agar.io

It shouldn't be as fun as it is. You start as a little blob, and have to eat other little blobs to get bigger. Seek out those smaller than you, and stay away from the bigger ones. There is a little more to it than this, but that's all you need to know to start. It's a simple timewaster, but also a master of the 'oh just one more go'. Especially when you develop a nemesis, a concept not in game, but entirely in your own head. "I'm taking this fucker down" you think, and make it your mission to get big enough to take your revenge. There is no sweeter joy than when you finally consume the one who had caused your untimely demise previously.

4. Grow Home

Looks lovely, even if the game is a bit basic. Again, it's a wonderful timewaster, I spent plenty of time just growing new branches to connect the one I already had, and to seek out the upgrades. I can see that it's not for everyone, but if you got it on Plus, give it a bash, it's worth trying.

5. Star Wars Battlefront

You are playing Star Wars. What more do you want?

Is this list supposed to be in reg's thread?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Battlefield is gash, so maybe
  • It's a good thing I picked Battlefront then really.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FUCKED IT
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So... Bloodborne then?
  • Looks like the only 2 new releases I played this year are the best 2 then.

Looking at the rest of the list, there's not that much that appeals, but I have pretty narrow tastes nowadays.

Might still try Witcher at some point, but I could do without another 100 hour game for a while, and Ori would've been up my street if I had a Bone. Invisible Inc is another I'm interested in, just waiting for the PS4 version.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ori does surprise me. I thought it was a nice enough thing, gorgeous art style and a nice enough soundtrack that sat somewhere between Metroid and that furrie fancying Dust game. People musta loved it.
  • I played and completed Dust but only got 5 hrs into Super Metroid, 90 mins into Shadow Complex and I've never even played Symphony of the Night past the opening scenes.  KILL ME.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I remembered shadow complex being great. Turns out the jumping isn't
  • List updated. Will go into more detail tomorrow.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Ori does surprise me. I thought it was a nice enough thing, gorgeous art style and a nice enough soundtrack that sat somewhere between Metroid and that furrie fancying Dust game. People musta loved it.
    Pinnacle of what it does.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

This. Gameplay balance is spot on. The frustration from not getting something right is exactly like the Souls games. You know it's your fault.
  • Pinnacle of Super Metroid imitators, I agree.
  • Good game wins B&B GOTY Shocker!!!!
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Nice enough but so bland. God-ray forest, icy bit, water bit, firey bit etc, glossed up staples of 90s platforming bar the obligatory post-Galaxy gravity switching bit and something about Mew searching for a dead(?) Snorlax. Also lacks clarity in some of the end-of-world platform gauntlets and the stealth bits. The later platforming sections were good, once the challenge ramped up, but I had to force myself to finish it.

Basically, Axiom Verge is better even though, or possibly because it's basically Super Metroid with extra shooting.
  • I must play this Axiom Verge.
  • I thought Axiom Verge was largely bunk despite an interesting aesthetic (which in execution proved muddy due to the palette limit) but I didn't get that far through it (maybe 3rd or 4th boss?)

The plot was as obscure as BLAME! and it looked like it was cribbing from that quite a lot. Noteworthy achievement though, bless these shut ins who manage to make entire games with nothing but a sickening amount of junkfood to help.
  • It's not bland Dubs goddamit.
  • I'd pretty much take Dubs opinion over most folk (apologies most folk)
  • On mechanics, sure.

Dubs has confirmed himself as an AI. No heart.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What happens when my opinion aligns with dubs bet you're shafted then old Temps
  • I thought the aesthetic looked Pretty Vacant
  • regmcfly wrote:
    What happens when my opinion aligns with dubs bet you're shafted then old Temps

You're only disagreeing with me on Helldivers because you feel like you have to maintain this Mudler/Scully thing but it's ok we can be post-season 10 about this.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    "you're never just anything to me Temps"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That'll mean fuck all to you because you've seen none of the new season. Welp
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wait who hates Helldivers?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!