Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The thing with the Souls games for me is that they are very good with one on one or one on crowd combat. Probably the best version of third person combat ever developed. But I think, and I know people may disagree, that the boss encounters are just so out of kilter with the rest of the combat, usually due to the stupid size of them and the mixed hit zones, shoddy camera and, certainly on Demon's and Dark Souls an inconsistent frame rate that often undermined any kind of skill built up.

I'm going to play again on PC to hopefully get a smoother experience as I didn't finish Dark Souls.
  • Do play again on PC. With the improved frame rate it is a much better experience, especially Blightown.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah started again, cleared first boss and just started farming humanity with the rats under the bridge.
  • Still got so much to play before the deadline, hnnnngg
  • I've given up. Although I can still sneak in one or two small indie games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Updated. 1. Olli Olli 2 2. Rocket League 3. Gunman Clive 2 4. Affordable Space Adventures (played to level 17 in co-op today) 5. Zelda: Triforce Heroes Decided to drop Batman as quite good doesn't cut the mustard.
    Updated again. 1. Olli Olli 2 2. Box Boy 3. Gunman Clive 2 4. Affordable Space Adventures 5. Until Dawn Tri-Force Heroes and Rocket League nudged out.  it went from a bad year up to September or so to a pretty strong showing all round once I caught up with a couple of gems.  All games mentioned are an [8] or above.  Gunman Clive sticks out like a sore thumb given that it's only 70 mins long, but it cost £2 and I loved every second of it.

I'm not being deliberately annoying, for a change, but I've rejigged it again after careful consideration.

1. Steamworld Heist
    [Captain Toad would go here]
    2. Olli Olli 2
    3. Affordable Space Adventures
    4. Rocket League
    5. Zelda: Triforce Heroes

Really enjoyed Box Boy, but on reflection I prefer the other games listed, and Until Dawn gets bumped too, along with the almost perfect Gunman Clive 2.
  • How good is heist? I baulked at the launch price but have heard wonderful things.

Gunman Clive 2 was ace also. Those two games remind me, no, play exactly as I remember the shinobi game gear game. Fucking flawless and timeless.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    How good is heist?

I wasn't sure about it for the first hour or so but aside from the art style, which I'm not keen on, it's blummin' excellent.  I've not played a side-on 2D tactics-type that works (perhaps I've not played one at all?), but it's all perfectly executed.  I don't have to get up for another 45 mins, but I've roused myself to play it before my daughter gets up and ruins it - it's got Fire Emblem hooks, for sure.  If you like the idea of a tactical team-building Shining Force meets Mass Effect 2 steampunky adventure with an intentionally humorous script, I can't see how you won't love it.
  • Also, the launch price had 20% off iirc, so prepare to baulk again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This finished today right? That reminds me... I have the Yang to the Yin
  • 23:59.999 tonight. Although I'm happy to accept changes in future, I will do results and analysis/stats after today.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FWIW, I might as well have MGS V in second place (I only voted for Bloodborne before). 

I'm still only 17% through it, but even if it does go tits up or get boring later it's still pretty amazing in many ways. Most of the hours I've spent on it so far have been great fun.
  • JonB wrote:
    FWIW, I might as well have MGS V in second place (I only voted for Bloodborne before).  I'm still only 17% through it, but even if it does go tits up or get boring later it's still pretty amazing in many ways. Most of the hours I've spent on it so far have been great fun.

It has it's moments but they're far, far too spread out.

There's a brilliant 15-20 hour game in there, diluted down by a factor of about 10.

For my money, GZs was a much better game.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message

Fashionably late my GOTY is... 

1. Dying Light.  The tangible environment and moody music makes you feel a part of it's terrifying world. Through headphones the experience is unmatched.

Quite a way down in my estimation comes a couple of honourable mentions.

2. Star Wars Battlefront.  Turn the HUD off and you're in the movies. Nuff said.

3. Just Cause 3. Rehash of JC2? Maybe so, but the sandbox world and freedom to destroy huge installations never fails to bring a grin.

2016, show us what you got.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I need to give Dying Light another go, especially as I've got a set of headphones now.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm in for dying light goty edition when it drops next month.

I really want to get back to jc3, but fuck me, those load times... And yes, very jc2.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Fine.

1. Bloodborne - Souls again but with enough change to feel fresh and intimidating to obsessives and arachnophobes alike. First time vs Amelia is probably Moment OTY, with the first DLC boss a close second.

2. MGSV - was 1st until The Old Hunters had me replaying Bloodborne. I don't really care about the story at all, the boss fights were a bit rubbish but the 200 hours I spent whizzing about on D-Walker tormenting people were wonderful.

3. MH4U - my first MonHun. Best thing is the sense of joy and spirit of adventure that inform everything from the writing to the animations to the daft weapon designs. It's a pleasure to be in that world and it makes it the most friendly multiplayer community I can remember. Everyone just seems happy to be hunting together. Knocking a dinosaur out with a giant hammer is pretty great as well.

4. Halo 5 - haven't touched single-player but the MP is the best it's been since 3. I just wish I had the time and inclination to get good.

5. Axiom Verge - best Metroid of the year.
  • JRPC wrote:
    FWIW, I might as well have MGS V in second place (I only voted for Bloodborne before).  I'm still only 17% through it, but even if it does go tits up or get boring later it's still pretty amazing in many ways. Most of the hours I've spent on it so far have been great fun.
    It has it's moments but they're far, far too spread out. There's a brilliant 15-20 hour game in there, diluted down by a factor of about 10. For my money, GZs was a much better game.
    I dunno. There's a lot more there than in GZs and I've already played a good 15-20 hour game in the first 25 hours. More than good really - the way everything functions so well and gives you so many options, and all the little details, and that it has you improvising new strategies all the time is often quite incredible.

But I can see repetition kicking in gradually, and there is too much time spent going back and forth between the base and missions, or traversing the same environments. There's probably a bit too much in there for its own good in the end.

I think I'm going to concentrate more on the main missions for a while and try varying tactics - there's still so much stuff I haven't used - to avoid getting too bogged down.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not hot on Halo 5 at all, and haven't played Dying Light but by any real benchmark, that's a fine top 10
  • Nearly missed the deadline!

1. Until Dawn: An absolute blast from beginning to end and the fact I went through it all with my wife makes it my top game.
    2. Mad Max: Also my biggest surprise of the year. Really good fun, solid gaming.
    3. Assassins Creed Syndicate: I was not expecting to love this as much as I have. My favourite Ass Creed game and a fantastic stealth/open world game.
    4. Guitar Hero Live: Love the new controller and the feeling of learning a control scheme again. I also think GHTV is a fantastic addition.
    5. Call of Duty Black Ops 3: One reason this is on the list - four player co-op. Has made it into a fantastic game.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Final list:

1. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Despite the stylus controls, this feels very much from the old school. I still can't work out why this is on the Wii U and not the DS - you won't ever be looking at the  TV. Which is something of a shame, as it looks far more beautiful on the big screen than the Gamepad screen, but is almost impossible to control if you use the TV. It's perfect for a quick go as well, a level at a time is as satisfying a way to play a a long session.

2. Splatoon

An interesting take on the shooter from Nintendo. A shooter where the main aim is to shoot anywhere but at your opponents. It's a blast to play, even if it has been hamstrung by some very Nintendo choices. No Mark Morrison chat whilst you play with your mates, and you have to exit matchmaking to change weapon for some reason. These annoyances aside though, it's fun to play. The various guns are satisfying and all have a place, movement as a squid is a joy. Turf battles are as fraught as any match I've had in Halo. If you've dismissed this because of the visuals, give your head a wobble. It doesn't matter what it looks like, Splatoon is in the play.

3. Agar.io

It shouldn't be as fun as it is. You start as a little blob, and have to eat other little blobs to get bigger. Seek out those smaller than you, and stay away from the bigger ones. There is a little more to it than this, but that's all you need to know to start. It's a simple timewaster, but also a master of the 'oh just one more go'. Especially when you develop a nemesis, a concept not in game, but entirely in your own head. "I'm taking this fucker down" you think, and make it your mission to get big enough to take your revenge. There is no sweeter joy than when you finally consume the one who had caused your untimely demise previously.

4. Grow Home

Looks lovely, even if the game is a bit basic. Again, it's a wonderful timewaster, I spent plenty of time just growing new branches to connect the one I already had, and to seek out the upgrades. I can see that it's not for everyone, but if you got it on Plus, give it a bash, it's worth trying.

5. Star Wars Battlefront

You are playing Star Wars. What more do you want?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Stealth number one. I wasn't a massive fan outside the aesthetics but did pick up the guide to it in Japan because the whole book is a lol. Will post some pics of it later
  • I wonder if had the rules been fully laxed whether Destiny would have won this year?

It would've been my 1st pick, easy.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • It wouldn't have been mine, list coming later!
  • Not mine, despite how accutely I fired into it for about 5 weeks. Doing the King's Fall was genuinely up there with one of the most fun multiplayer experiences I've had, but the second it was done literally all enthusiasm just washed out of the game for me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Had this been done in September October I reckon it would be there, but you can see the fire's out for a lot of people on it now
  • Honourable mentions: Sunless Sea, Her Story, Rocket League, Until Dawn
  • 5. MGSV

The bad didn't take enough away from the good for it to not make my list.

4. Tales from the Borderlands

Charming and nice to see what Telltale can do without being as creatively tied up by an IP. Also features two of the greatest gaming robots ever.

3. Life is Strange

Heartfelt and moving with great characters and a killer soundtrack.

2. Bloodborne

Souls, but not as we know it. The Lovecraftian elements were inspired, the combat was excellent as ever and I found the aesthetic to be very disturbing. The PvP being dire was a big reason for it not topping my list.

1. The Witcher 3

A masterpiece. Finally an open world fantasy game that satisfies in a way that the Elder Scrolls games always fell short of. Interesting quests, well written characters and a consistently beautiful world to get lost in.
  • Most disappointing of the year: Telltale's Game of Thrones

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!