Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I put 20 or so hours into Dark Souls. Probably not much compared to some but I just found it dull and repetitive.

Maybe the reactions aren't as swift as they used to be but I put none of the above down to a lack of skills.
  • 20hours isn't much of the game in a first run. Just finding your feet really.

Then again I criticise Destiny for the same problem. Although Destiny is longed out for no reason rather than skill development.
  • I'm with Oli. Dark souls sucks, and so does 2 and ergo plato bloodborne. I played 45 minutes and couldn't be arsed to start from scratch.

Actually it wasn't even dark souls it was demon souls.

If you like any of these games, you suck too
  • Tldr u suck dive and no 1 likes u
  • Yay!
    You like Destiny though. You need that crack loot. Pat on the back, well done, now bring me more unobtainium for the next trinket you absolutely need.
  • I'd happily play the same 50 second level of Meat Boy for three hours until I got an elusive bandage, but back-to-square-one has to be only a minute or so back to keep me interested.  Three hours is three hours, but time flies when I'm die/try/dying, yet drags when I have to travel too far to get back to where I was.  I kinda wish I was up for it, but at the same time I've already got too many games to play.
  • Souls/BB are definitely about repetition, and I can totally get why some people wouldn't have the patience for it. It's not really a matter of skills either - most of the difficulty is about strategies and learning how stuff works, but again that's patience, trying, failing, failing again...

I've no intention to try and convert anyone (after all there are plenty of top games that I'll never get), but if you can get into them, they really reward you. And you also get to experience some of the best world-building, level design, boss design and weapon design (esp. BB) that games have to offer atm (which, coupled with the lack of patronising hand-holding, is why they are so highly regarded by some).
  • Their lack of inclusivity is one of their strengths. I think they review far too unanimously to reflect to actual experience
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Their lack of inclusivity is one of their strengths. I think they review far too unanimously to reflect to actual experience
    But everything must be about me
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Where "me" is "you"
  • I mean you're the one who always buys them despite not liking them so I guess you're definitely one of the guys who needs that slim critical disagreement
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I mean you're the one who always buys them despite not liking them so I guess you're definitely one of the guys who needs that slim critical disagreement

I fuckin gave them a shot. Am out for 3
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean would you rather that or the person standing shouting that they know they're shite without playing them
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And I like them, just can't do them or be bothered learning to do them.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I mean would you rather that or the person standing shouting that they know they're shite without playing them

Y so mean
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

Y so mean

Keep u keen
  • I wouldn't call a game shit without playing it, but I reckon we've all developed a nose for stuff that we might enjoy.
    JonB wrote:
    I've no intention to try and convert anyone (after all there are plenty of top games that I'll never get), but if you can get into them, they really reward you.

I've never played a Souls or BB, but I'm happy to assume this sentence nails it and continue to play my kinda stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    At the same time I'm not particularly narrow in my tastes. I like to at least try something, particularly if there's support around it. I was day one on DS2, and probably enjoyed that more than 1, but working et Al means that people were throwing up all sorts of mad things to do before I'd even got the game home.
  • Reading stuff around the bornesouls games it does sometimes feel like one is some sort of heretic pond scum if you dislike what they bring.

Temps point about unanimity of praise is on the pointiest of points. It's almost stifling.

The weird thing is relatively how unfrequently it won goty compared to its praise.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Giant Bomb dudes threw BB out of their top 10 list fairly early on because not everyone got on with it, and it was extreme views.

The piss boiled out of the comments.
  • I guess on a review it really is one point but unrepresentative of the consensus of that collective the review ostensibly represents.

I mean we wait for the "polygon" review but, e.g. the Bayo2 review was v personal Imo.
  • I mean, what can you do? These games are really fucking good at what they do. The understanding of various aspects of game design in them is very advanced, in a way that you rarely see. The praise is deserved, whether it's your thing or not.

So tough, I guess. ;)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I guess on a review it really is one point but unrepresentative of the consensus of that collective the review ostensibly represents.

I mean we wait for the "polygon" review but, e.g. the Bayo2 review was v personal Imo.

Bayonetta 2 polygon review reflected a person's feelings on the game, and as such, was more interesting than just plonking a 10 on it.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's pre emptively sf5 which I am urgently awaiting

Inb4 reg gives this game up after a week thanks to the soundest of repeat thrashings from the mordor nolife fighter pro-am cru.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • @reg

Yeah I don't mind that but it explains how a game can get a metacritic of 100 and still not be goty everywhere.

It is also a weird Concept then waiting for "the ign" review as such a concept seems divorced from that actual act of review.

In films I like to think I look at a person before I consider their words (ie the context of other things they like). But perhaps in some cases the culture of an outlet may colour their hiring so that you can say something like "the guardian said bridge of spies was good" and it has some meaning.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I wouldn't call a game shit without playing it, but I reckon we've all developed a nose for stuff that we might enjoy.
    JonB wrote:
    I've no intention to try and convert anyone (after all there are plenty of top games that I'll never get), but if you can get into them, they really reward you.

I've never played a Souls or BB, but I'm happy to assume this sentence nails it and continue to play my kinda stuff.
    JonB wrote:
    I mean, what can you do? These games are really fucking good at what they do. The understanding of various aspects of game design in them is very advanced, in a way that you rarely see. The praise is deserved, whether it's your thing or not.

So tough, I guess. ;)

These guys know the score.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I wouldn't call a game shit without playing it, but I reckon we've all developed a nose for stuff that we might enjoy.
    JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    I mean, what can you do? These games are really fucking good at what they do. The understanding of various aspects of game design in them is very advanced, in a way that you rarely see. The praise is deserved, whether it's your thing or not. So tough, I guess. ;)
    These guys know the score.

I know that this guy knows that these guys know the score and he's right.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The score is [10], right?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Jesus fucks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!