Atari & Amiga @ 30
  • the worms remake wouldnt need any restrictions like that whatsoever

take a look at this (if you dont mind a webplayer) and see how worms style stuff could come about

http://uterrains.com/webplayer/demo/
  • Thanks, I can't use the player in work, unfortunately but the video on the site looks interesting. Nice to see voxels making a wee bit of a comeback.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    What happened to that Amiga on a PCB about five years ago?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Loved my Amiga 500, but hated that irritating TV adaptor box plugged into the back. Many hours spent on various versions of Sensible Soccer. Also Geoff Crammond's F1 Grand Prix, Speedball 2, Chaos Engine and Lemmings. I also remember a side scrolling adventure named Risky Woods and a rather uninspiring Elvira platformer.
  • No-one's mentioned Stunt Car Racer yet. Damn I loved that game. There was also a platformer where you were a harlequin on loads of weird levels, it was a bit Meteroidvania-like. Plus a shoot 'em up where you were a bee shooting other insects. Soooo many good games, and developers. Loved my Amiga. Was first proper gaming rig I had in my house as a kid.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • I don't know about the harlequin game, but the bee game was probably Apidya.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I remember playing a decent Defender clone called Starray, one of the early games for it, I think. Also, Wizball, put a serious amount of hours into that.
  • No-one's mentioned Stunt Car Racer yet. Damn I loved that game. There was also a platformer where you were a harlequin on loads of weird levels, it was a bit Meteroidvania-like. Plus a shoot 'em up where you were a bee shooting other insects. Soooo many good games, and developers. Loved my Amiga. Was first proper gaming rig I had in my house as a kid.

As Skondo said the bee game was probably Apidya (great music) Pretty sure the Harlequin game was rather unimaginatively called Harlequin.
  • trippy wrote:
    Loved Exile,
    There have been loads of games called Exile over the  years and I'm always hoping they'll re-do this one. Every time I see Exile in a list on an emulator I always think "oooh I didn't know that came out on the Super-System-32" and then load it up to find a shitty platform-shooter. I think it was ported from the BBC Micro.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Another vote for Harlequin being called Harlequin. I liked that. I'm also waiting for a new Stunt Car Racer.

inb4 Trackmania.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    trippy wrote:
    Loved Exile,
    I think it was ported from the BBC Micro.

Reimagined by the same people. Never played the BBC one but it is also held in very high regard.

I still have my boxed Amiga version, mail ordered it and it took about seven weeks to arrive. Was so excited when I finally got to play it.

The controls were insanely complicated but combined with the amazing physics engine you could do lots more than in a lot of modern games.

If you needed to put out a fire you grabbed an empty container, jumped into a pool to fill it and then carefully carried it to the fire, trying not to spill the water. If you could think of a solution to the puzzle, the physics engine would almost certainly allow it, so you could be really creative.

It all gave the game a sense of solidity and place that is still pretty much unrivalled.

Incredible game.
  • Super Sprint, and Skidmarks/Super Skidmarks
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • trippy wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    trippy wrote:
    Loved Exile,
    I think it was ported from the BBC Micro.
    Reimagined by the same people. Never played the BBC one but it is also held in very high regard. I still have my boxed Amiga version, mail ordered it and it took about seven weeks to arrive. Was so excited when I finally got to play it. The controls were insanely complicated but combined with the amazing physics engine you could do lots more than in a lot of modern games. If you needed to put out a fire you grabbed an empty container, jumped into a pool to fill it and then carefully carried it to the fire, trying not to spill the water. If you could think of a solution to the puzzle, the physics engine would almost certainly allow it, so you could be really creative. It all gave the game a sense of solidity and place that is still pretty much unrivalled. Incredible game.
    There was a cover disk demo for it that I got hours of fun out of. I remember reading that it would take 20 minutes to complete if you knew exactly what you were doing. Most of the games I owned at that point took 20 minutes to complete once you knew what you were doing.
  • Aye, the demo was great, in many ways better than the full game, certainly easier, though still a challenge. I remember trying to get a raft across a lake, possibly an acid lake, with some mother fucking monkeys constantly jumping at you.

The sound design was great, too, I still remember the noise the monkeys made, and the irritating birds. They'd poo, and if it landed on you you'd get a wee message, 'that's lucky'

The meteorite storms were more intense in the demo, too, you could pass the joystick around and see who could survive the longest.

Ahhh, nostalgia...
  • 100 Amiga games in 10 minutes:

http://youtu.be/hUoJBerFDsA

No Harlequin though...
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • How could I forget Rodland, Flashback and Skidmarks?
  • Moonstone. I couldn't get into that at the time even though everyone was raving about it. Played it again recently, I think I was right.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Moonstone used to sell for crazy amounts a few years back.
  • I loved my Amiga. It was probably my favourite period of gaming in my life. I think my favourite gaming memory probably comes Monkey Island, it really transported me to another world like no game had done before.

I don't think I owned a single original game (apart from what came in the bundle). Piracy back then wasn't even a word we were familiar with, it was just what we did. Half of my school swapped and copied games. We went to the local black market. For a middle class lad from the outskirts of Glasgow, venturing into the Barras market was like stepping into Mos Eisley. It was incredible. The game "shop" was something else, like a bustling bar, kids and adults alike fighting to get served.

Heaving folders full of poly-pockets containing every game under the sun. You jotted down the corresponding numbers before fighting your way back to the front to hand over your order. Ten minutes later you were scurrying out, pockets heaving with floppies, feeling like a smuggler. Or if you were unlucky the place was raided by the police and the entire operation shut down in seconds and you scarpered with the rest of the punters. 

Our middle class get-up was always a give away and on more than a few occasions we found ourselves being chased through the market but gangs of neds and often ended up hiding in shops. Getting home with your life (and games) in tact was a victory in itself.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sadly the whole Amiga/ST era passed me by. They were just too damn expensive and I was in the gaming doldrums at the time - the 8 bit micro era left a bad taste in my mouth with shit game design and difficulty curves laced with tape loading - so I wasn't all that keen on using a computer albeit more powerful - for gaming. It's probably still why I'm not keen even on PC gaming.

In many ways the 8bit micro  felt like a step back from the slickness of Atari 2600 cart loading and even the simplistic games had been designed & coded by maestros (as long as you stuck with Atari, Activision and Imagic that is)

Was on the cusp of giving up games entirely - 'twas Nintendo consoles that brought me back.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I remember using my Amiga to create opening and closing credits for a spoof documentary about my friends' band. I'm sure I still have it on VHS somewhere - The Life and Times of Wilson and the Butlers.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    I used to create demos using a Public Domain program called the Red Sector Demo Maker.

Bought from 17 bit software way before they started making games and were just a distributor of PD discs.
  • US Gold were bought out by Eidos. It's how they ended up with Core Design.

Ocean were always one of my favs, and they did a lot of the US Gold games. They got bought out by Infogrammes, who then bought out Atari, and changed their name to that. So in a sense, Ocean, who once made games for the Atari, now are Atari.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Oh and 17-bit software became Team 17 in case you didn't know.
  • Main Ocean Amiga game I remember is the dreadful Epic.
  • Epic wasn't that bad if you were a Battlestar Galactica fan!  I kind of filled in the narrative gaps myself, a bit like playing things like Elite.

Nana has given me some surprising nostalgia bursts by mentioning Red Sector Demo Maker...!!

My top XBLA remake wish, for ages, has been Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters.  I got that with my A500 I'm sure, along with Rainbow Islands and a couple of things I can't remember.
  • Batman Returns was a good Ocean game.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK wrote:
    Was on the cusp of giving up games entirely - 'twas Nintendo consoles that brought me back.
    Seems like you might be a barometer for the industry. What are you doing next?
  • mk64 wrote:
    Batman Returns was a good Ocean game.
    I've just been playing Batman Returns on the SNES. Literally 5 mins ago. It's a Konami game tho so probably different. Just a Final Fight rip with bat-sprites.
  • The arcade game was Konami, Ocean did the console ports.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!