Atari & Amiga @ 30
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Aren't they kindof a part of Squenix now?
    I don't know such stuff!
    I think they merged with a company that got bought by a company that mergen or got bought by Enix or maybe Square. I'm not sure though.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Did ocean ever make a good game? Speedball 2 has not stood the test of time either

Good point on psygnosis btw, i hadnt made that connection either but it's probably fair to say they went on to do the wipeout games. Feels weird knowing DMA became Rockstar too

BBC was amazing so long as you didnt want to complete the games. My bbc really fired my imagination, but not my gaming skills, which never became good anyways, cept for ut ctf instagib. I started to learn to make games on the bbc after a few weeks of having it. I think ive always liked making games (albeit shit ones) over playing them. BBC did that to me.

Yeah there was Elite. My first ever game
  • Looking through lists of Amiga Games.  SO many memories.  Turrican, Alien Breed IK+, North & South all setting off a nostalgia trigger.
  • What about kick off/player manager and sensi?
    The Forum Herald™
  • My dad had an Amiga, I used to sit and watch him play games for hours. All I can really remember off the top of my head are R-Type 1&2, Magic Pockets Lemmings, and Rainbow Islands. It's not much, but R-Type really hit me hard, probably the first piece of Japanese media I ever encountered, and I knew there was something more interesting going on with its designs than in a bunch of the other games.

My grandparents had, and possibly still have, a working BBC Micro. I remember Chuckie Egg because FUCKING HELL.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Yeah, Kick Off was ace, none of that ball sticking to your feet nonsense. 

Lemmings, The Settlers and Sim City also got a lot of love, as did the Soundtracker stuff, which I enjoyed fiddling with.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the Willy Song, shame on you all.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    I think a lot of kids I know managed to get an amiga or atari because it looked like they might've done schoolwork on it. I know my parents wouldn't have got a pure gaming machine for me.
    The existence of art and music programs on the Atari was exactly why we were allowed to get it, and why I was never allowed a pure gaming machine until I was earning my own money.
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Did ocean ever make a good game?
    The Daley Thompson games, and movie tie-ins like Batman: The Movie and The Untouchables all got played at length in my house, and they also published a shit-ton of quality Taito arcade games.
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Speedball 2 has not stood the test of time either
    I still regularly play it on my Vita. It still gets two massive thumbs up from me.

I spoke a fair amount about Psygnosis in the A-Z thread recently (which I never got back to). I spent who knows how many hours playing Lemmings and Nitro on the ST. I never really clicked with Shadow of the Beast, truth be told.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Patented Blue Swirl link spam incoming, duck and cover!

Ars Technica article.

Official web page for 30th anniversary.

The Computer History Museum (California), which'll be hosting various Amiga events.

Hankering for some actual Amiga gubbins? You can buy the OS and computers with it pre-installed here. Yeah, Amiga OS still in development. Version 4.1 came out six months ago.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I remember that being a problem with emulation. A lot of sites would host emulators but would touch kickstart (the boot screen) because it was still active.

kickstart-1-2.gif

• Excellent theme tune. I never owned an Amiga so this is the full extent of my nostalgia.
  • Jesus Christ, so many epic games being named that I'd forgotten about.

Were these the best two gaming systems of their time or wot?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I sold my at to buy a mega drive
    The Forum Herald™
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Im not gonna name the obvious stuff but one ace game that often gets forgotten was a marble game called Rock N Roll by Rainbow Arts. Bloody ace that was.

Amiga Turrican II is one of my all time faves, the music is amazing.

Oddly I've got an A500 in the boot of my car atm along with a CPC464 and green screen monitor which my Mum recently dumped on me.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Body Blows

Saw that coming. I couldn't get mine to load because it had no Disk 1, only some weird, extraneous disk called Boot.

beano wrote:
    hackers paradise

Land of X-Copy.

tumblr_mn7vmlFiK41s67vyfo1_250.gif

None! It's a bad copy or something; why doesn't it work?!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Did ocean ever make a good game?

Mayber, but do you know how US Gold started? Its founder imported games from America and sold them here at a profit. He phoned several American pubs and told them he was calling on behalf of a made-up UK company. Which he soon was.
  • Haha, a time of new frontiers
  • Heh, it was also the 20th anniversary of the Nintendo Virtual Boy a few days ago too.

I'm sure we all have fond memories of that.
  • Never used it! It was a crap time for vr. If it made you as sick as reports suggested, i pity anyone who used it, using the dk1 had me laid out for half an hour at times
  • I was alright on VB and other mid-90s VR. I've never had any major motion sickness or any kind so I'm probably sorted for the next wave of VR.
  • If you havent yet had a shot at VR just get a google cardboard, its a piece of shit compared to a proper visor but the effect is still very compelling and light years beyond that old rubbish

Lucky on the motion sickness.. to be fair i hardly ever get it on the DK2, but the DK1 was a bit arduous at times - claims that the problems almost entirely gone in recent kit could be considered valid but Oculus' stipulation is you adhere to their minimum spec of an i7 and gtx 970 or its your fault if you get sick
  • Had a go of GC. It's not what I'm looking for.
  • Pretty sure there was an article on Body Blows in a recent Retro Gamer.
  • Incredible machines really. I rememeber my brother working a saturday job or similiar to save up for the hard-drive, which was amazing. Loading all of Monkey Island 2 on so no disc changes was a revelation! Wonderful set of games and memories of just sheer joy.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Nebulus
    Hard Drivin
    Wrestlefest
    North and South
    Kick Off 2

Just throwing some classics out there which I don't think have been named
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Loved Exile, so atmospheric, amazing physics, much difficulty, great theme tune.

Dodging meteorite storms on the planet's surface was amazing, especially in the demo which had much more intense storms and a whole different storyline.

Loved so many Amiga games but that was my favourite, I think. That or Hunter.
  • I didnt actually like hunter much but recently considered remaking it. Ive sunk that low
  • Oh wow, do it! (please)

I don't know if it would hold up now but the freedom was incredible at the time, a big world, loads of different vehicles and an open objective - bring me the general's head.

A remake could be incredible.
  • I've still got an Amiga 500 and a 1200 up in the loft somewhere along with a couple of big boxes of games and a larger collection of copies of games and magazine cover disks. I might well have to dig them out and have a 30th anniversary session. My external disk drive though is dead, so any attempts at playing Lucasarts games will result in a disk swapping frenzy.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • It wouldn't hold up very well, it would be feasible to do a 'based on' and pimp it a bit but its quite bland all in all. I do wanna remake some games, i just dunno which ones. Although some guys on here seem to like the idea of a chasehq reboot, which i havent forgotten, im just mainly waiting on some driving ai stuff.

The most entertaining thought for me regarding a remake is a properly in the spirit remake of worms, although not with worms. Definitely randomly generated destructable 3d voxel landscapes and kooky weapons. Waiting on stuff for that too
  • Enjoy reading your techy posts LazyGunn.

On a voxel tip, have you seen Voxatron? Does some nice destruction, and uses a fixed viewpoint to get around rendering limitations, in the same way that a take on Worms could.

It's a bit Robotrony and pretty enjoyable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!