Every Month is Metal Month Solid
  • every single one of the boss fights in mgs3 have 'secret' techniques to make them much faster/easier, the game just doesn't tell you or hold your hand that much... most require finding the correct weapon or items before the battle.
    Tempy wrote:
    The problem with Mr Beads is that he can't attack you in water,' and choses to fight you in a cave... full of water. Considering the rest of the Cobra Unit attack you in environs well suited to their strengths, it stands out. Maybe he got stung stupid.
    Spoiler:
    cockbeard wrote:
    although I don't recall being too upset first time I faced him, just later when I wanted his camo, not being able to see him untill he speeding towards you doesn't help either

Spoiler:
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ah, sorry I was unclear, that quoted part was in reference to Fury, I found out what you just said about Fear by accident, was a pretty awesome moment when it worked
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • @smang Attacking you beforehand or not, he still fights you in a rubbish place that undermine his skills. A proper 5/10 experience compared to the rest of the Unit.
  • i thought the cosmonaught with the jetpack flying around an underground bunker/sewer made less sense... flames looked cool though.

that said i dunno how else you'd fight bees without Oprah on your side...

cockbeard wrote:
    Ah, sorry I was unclear, that quoted part was in reference to Fury, I found out what you just said about Fear by accident, was a pretty awesome moment when it worked

no worries :)
    it's just to me, 3 has the best boss battles in the series - maybe in any game tbh. they feel somewhat linnear at first but there are so many little tricks you can do.

one of the reasons i dropped peace walker were the boring and dumb ass boss fights.
  • The Fury works for me because he fights you in an arena that works well to funnel his flames, and suits his jet-packing with its high ceilings. True there are water pipes there to temper it, but there's always gonna be water pipes under a facility like Groznyj Grad. 

Maybe Oprah could have been a rescuable POW?
  • Started MGS2. Theme song kicks in, get the tinglies. So good.

HD looks so nice too.
  • The opening cinematic of MGS2 is still one of the best in any game. Ever. The slow walk along the bridge.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • the rain/water effects blew my mind back then. mgs2 and 3 still hold up well for 10 year old 3d games.
  • Lots of cool tech in MGS2. Loved shooting all the bottles in the canteen on the boat. It's that level of detail that lift the whole series up even higher I think.
  • nothing will ever beat the croc hat.
  • Smang wrote:
    nothing will ever beat the croc hat.

What about the (mgs3) 
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • the croc hat comes with better codec conversations... and some funny guard dialogue!
  • God damn MGS2 is good. It's just amazing how they took everything from the first and improved on it. From the core gameplay to the finest of details. You get the feeling they just sat around and said "wouldn't it be cool if. .." and then put it in the game.

A bloody sneeze while I was crawling under a bomb laser trap was an annoying but humorous way to trigger an alert.
  • Just a pity that Raiden is such a complete fanny.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So would you if you'd been raised as a child soldier in war torn Africa. By a future American president.
  • g.man wrote:
    Just a pity that Raiden is such a complete fanny.

Isn't that the point of his character? I'm looking forwrd to Reg and Tempy explaining everything to me throughout this month.
  • He is loser twonks moaning about not being snake. The genius is putting him in before any backlash occurred. Sooooo predictable.
  • The genius is putting him in before any backlash occurred. Sooooo predictable.

I dunno what this bit means. How could they put him in after backlash had occurred, given that he's the point of the backlash?
  • Well, it's was a gamble that the whiny raiden was a lampoon of people who complained about not being snake.

Imagine if mgs2 came out and everyone was like "cool new protagonist". Then a whiny snake wannabe becomes a less of a comment on the wannabe snake players.

It's a baked in joke that required a potentially unpredictable reaction to work as well as it did.

Of course there was a lot of set up to make the joke work. (zone of enders demo being step 1)
  • I'm not sure if it was such huge gamble, more a heavily considered move. Stuff like slipping on bird shit, getting pissed on, being forced to run around naked, choosing Quinton Flynn with that sort of lispy feminine voice, the Skull Suit being far more bondage-esque than Snake's sneaking suit, the constant emasculation of him via other characters (President crotch grab etc) making him look like the typical Japanese Bishounen/pretty boy character etc It's all incredibly considered and manufactured. 

I'd say it was at most a minor gamble, because he's constructed to be such a simpering fuckwit. And as you say, there's the ZoE demo and the E3 footage, not a jot of the post Tanker game appearing anywhere before release, the fact that the cover of the game is Snake's face... that's all a huge part. 

But, importantly, he isn't a simpering fuckwit. Nor is he just a lampoon of people wanting to be Snake. He's his own character, he ends up going through a lot of the same 'what is a soldier' feelings that Snake goes through, but from a different angle. I think people forget that his back story is violent, involves him being indoctrinated and turned into a ruthlessly violent child soldier, and that a lot of the issues he has with Rose are down to PTSD. it's hard to watch them rub up against the goofball nature of other moments in MGS2, but the uneven nature of the tone in MGS games is a large part of the enjoyment of them for me.

Also even if players had reacted positively to Raiden, you could still make a read of the game as being a commentary on people who like to play make-believe soldiers. The constructed persona isn't just there to laugh at fans, but also as a functional Yin to Snake's Yang, to complete the whole 'virtual soldier' idea, the hero couldn't be a buff guy, it had to be someone who didn't fit. A pretty boy raised on a diet of sims and virtual reality run throughs of The Tanker and Shadow Moses. The twist that before that he was a violent killer means that he isn't just a cypher of the player.

There are just a hell of a lot of levels to the narrative of MGS2 that work very well together.
  • The fact it was in there as even a small gamble is huge for me. It pays off in the immediate and anyone looking back. unlike (say) Bioshock where the cleverness is entirely selfcontained the fact it relied on a human reaction to work is cool But also fits with the games themes of (before the term was inventive) filter bubbles and our consumption of media and hype.

So fucking good.

I guess people can take what they want from it, but the fact that it highlighted then some of the things that irritate me about videogames now is what ratchets up this aspect. The prophetic nature of it all.
  • The fact is, it's impossible to introduce a character and ask an audience to react to them in a very specific way, because people have such broad tastes. People end up loving characters designed to be hated, and hating characters designed to be loved.

Plenty of people liked Raiden. I loved Raiden on release, I thought he was really interesting. That fact doesn't undermine what Kojima was trying to do at all, but the huge backlash and shock he induced certainly adds a good deal of qualification to it, not that it's needed. It's just a nice coincidence.

Even if you go back now, the fact that you play as Raiden in MGS2 is still a big deal from a story point of view. The impact might be lessened, but this happens to many things that enter the realm of culture texts.
  • I quite liked raiden too, although I played mgs4 first and was somewhat insulated from any shock through general awareness.

I love how since the mgs2 prologue mgs1 solid snake has never really been played as again in a game (except smash and poss twin snakes).

In three you play as big boss (spoiler) and in 4 it's old snake then big boss forever. It makes a statement about what people play games for. Is the form of the avatar really important? Mgs 2 is a cracking mgs game but sullied because of a blonde protagonist? (only if you don't want to see the wood for the trees).
  • Well Koj once went on record saying that he got a letter from a fan who said that they "didn't want to play as an old man" so they went and made a fey pretty boy. And you're right, they then go back to Boss for 3 and Old Snake for 4. 

I think he's always been pretty interested in who and what the player avatar is since MGS. The whole 'recessive gene' thing in MGS is a big point (even though it makes little scientific sense) and you spend a lot of time thinking you're trying to kill your superior, Aryan brother, when in fact he's the reject. 

It'll be interesting to see where MGSV goes, although it's already fairly interesting because as everyone knows, Big Boss is the bad guy. If this bridges the gap in the story to Metal Gear, then it should show BB become the villain at the player's hands. That could be an interesting move in his hands.
  • I think it'll be a fairly shady level of baddiness. He needs to maintain the facade of being a goodie for mg.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I rather like the fact Solid David and Big Jack are essentially the same person but go through far different events to shape them. To BB, The Boss is always a messianic obsession he doesn't understand and when he tries to be the same model for Solid he ends up turning into a reviled father/mentor.

Solidus feels like a perfect clone of Bb at the point he was created. Already bitter about governments and longing for a family of professional soldiers to do away with the politics that killed his soul mate. Solid was the true blank slate.

I really can't wait for this game.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Well Koj once went on record saying that he got a letter from a fan who said that they "didn't want to play as an old man" so they went and made a fey pretty boy. And you're right, they then go back to Boss for 3 and Old Snake for 4.  I think he's always been pretty interested in who and what the player avatar is since MGS. The whole 'recessive gene' thing in MGS is a big point (even though it makes little scientific sense) and you spend a lot of time thinking you're trying to kill your superior, Aryan brother, when in fact he's the reject.  It'll be interesting to see where MGSV goes, although it's already fairly interesting because as everyone knows, Big Boss is the bad guy. If this bridges the gap in the story to Metal Gear, then it should show BB become the villain at the player's hands. That could be an interesting move in his hands.

Minor correction: Liquid was angry he got the recessive genes. Naomi's revelation towards the end was that Liquid did indeed get the superior genes and solid snake was the genetic inferior. 

Didn't make a lick of difference though in the end though.
  • See this is the kind of stuff I want. Although I didn't know BB was the bad guy for 5...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    He's GoodBadMon.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    \hmm, \i think he was definitely designed to be lampooned. Each game needs a clown of sorts. It's no coincidence that after Raiden was fleshed out in 2 and partly in 3, that when 4 came around Johnny turns up and poops himself like normal, although he kinda finds some redemption at the end and we get top flesh him out. I know next to nothing about Nip culture but it seems like he likes to include an underdog and have them come good, or at least as good as they can
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!