Every Month is Metal Month Solid
  • Vela wrote:
    Minor correction: Liquid was angry he got the recessive genes. Naomi's revelation towards the end was that Liquid did indeed get the superior genes and solid snake was the genetic inferior. 

Didn't make a lick of difference though in the end though.

Ah yes, you're totally correct. I find it hard to remember which eat around it is because it is the worst science.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just finished Twin Snakes. The lol wtf of the way the cutscenes went was off the charts by the end of the game. Now on for MGS2 on Saturday
  • How many currently existing technologies did you come across?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Because we don't have a world where I can run up rockets I am not happy with any others
  • Just finished mgs1 og.
    The best is yet to come!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right, that's MGS1 down - onto 2. Time to articulate thoughts on 1... A few clangers of moments, and jeeeezzzz Meryl. "I'm more comfortable with this gun than I am with a bra."
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm rubbish, still need to finish 1. I'm near the end though. I'm playing the original - in many respects it feels ahead of its time. Audiowise it feels more like a PS2 game with all the voicing and so on. Even though it's quite pulpy etc. it still feels genuinely adult on the whole. I've played it, like, twice before and I think this is the first time I'm genuinely appreciating it. Controlling the action bits isn't great (I remember finding MGS2 far superior in this regard) yet there's surprising little emphasis on stealth after the first bits and a lot of compulsory shooty encounters (I don't remember the radar being jammed so bloody much). The gameplay niggles are the worst thing about it and the graphics, even though they may have been good at the time, just aren't cinematic by today's standards. Good game on the whole though.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Right, that's MGS1 down - onto 2. Time to articulate thoughts on 1... A few clangers of moments, and jeeeezzzz Meryl. "I'm more comfortable with this gun than I am with a bra."

It was this stuff that makes me interested to see how Quiet turns out. I know he's gotten better since then but yeesh.
    It was interesting to hear the "worse than torture" line she said too as that seems to be touching on what mgs5 will partly be about. I don't think I ever registered what that was insinuating when I originally played it. Granted I was quite young and innocent back then. Still pretty dark considering the rest of the games waffling.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I definitely found some of the boss fights (ocelot / ninja / wolf) a bit more rote than I remembered as a kid - however I really found the mantis one a nightmare - a lot more involving than you I remembered, and the Meryl bit at the end was a pain. Also, on the twin snakes, you have to put the pad into 3-4 slot, as 2 isn't enough to trick him. Final boss fight was as nonsensical as I remember.
  • Mantis fight is overrated.

Everyone remembers the gimmicks and the plug into p2 thing is the worst of all the tricks. Anyone who remembers it fondly only read it in a guide or had the answer spilled to them by Campbell.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's a bit harsh to call it a gimmick. It's a good bit of meta puzzling which something like games didn't and still rarely now actually do.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's like taking mobile calls on the Wiimote in No More Heroes. That's even more pointless but both bring me a big smile eveytime I remember that first happening.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    "OH MAH GAAAAWD DIS HO CALLIN ME ON THE MOTE!"
  • Mantis fight is overrated.

Everyone remembers the gimmicks and the plug into p2 thing is the worst of all the tricks. Anyone who remembers it fondly only read it in a guide or had the answer spilled to them by Campbell.

Wrong.

For a young player it was a new insight into what games could be. It was an epiphany, like the first time you wank to climax and you sit there shivering with cum slathered across your inexperienced digits, aware to a completely new calling and realising this is the only thing you ever want to do for the rest of your life.
  • Indeed. Slathered cum. THis is y we bideo yaming.
  • Was a toss up between slathered and carelessly suspended
  • I played MGS at a time when I didn't know who Hideo Kojima was. I found it strange when "Hideo" popped up in green in a corner of a black screen, during the Mantis fight I think? Was weird and wonderful at the same time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Toss up ha good one.
  • sitting there with glazed digits, like an adderall spiked kid on an arts and crafts day
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I thought it was Jap Engrish misspelling Video.
  • Yeah I thought it was a mistake too and that it should say video, as it looked like the green text you get on TV screens
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Made perfect sense to me when the same thing happens in GZ. I must have just been thick as a Cinty load in 98.
  • Fuck it I guess I have nothing else to do today.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Mantis fight was gaming breaking the fourth wall for the first mainstream time, brilliance. Calling it a tired trope seems crazy, it was user fresh at the time
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Going from original PSone MGS to widescreen HD MGS2 is a major leap graphically. Snake just blew up the boat by being a daft fanny though, silly Snake.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    It's a bit harsh to call it a gimmick. It's a good bit of meta puzzling which
    something like games didn't and still rarely now actually do.

It was not puzzling at all.

The CD thing was great but the controller thing was obtuse to a ridiculous amount. There's a lot in the mantis (pre) fight that is really fun, the readings, the telekenisis. The controller thing is just terrible game design.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'd approve of a game that reads your saved game data and savagely insults your taste.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    More like you have terrible brain design.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't see how you can criticise the controller thing but praise the CD code thing, especially when the latter is just an anti-piracy measure that has dated awkwardly (you have to get it from the manual on the PSN version).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!